Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a torque spec on that long bolt that attaches drivers to diamond drive gearcase - Got my new seals in and one new bearing and wondering if there is any torque specs that i need - Also i take it blue loctite on the threads of that bolt ??? Thanx Scott
 

·
Premium Member
2022XCR850137 / 2022 SL 850 Boost
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Sep 22 2005, 08:36 PM
Is there a torque spec on that long bolt that attaches drivers to diamond drive gearcase - Got my new seals in and one new bearing and wondering if there is any torque specs that i need - Also i take it blue loctite on the threads of that bolt ??? Thanx Scott
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=887815
[/quote]
Yes but ill have to out in the garage and look at my manual anybody else!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,321 Posts
Originally posted by flasch7192@Sep 22 2005, 08:38 PM
Yes but ill have to out in the garage and look at my manual anybody else!!!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=887820
[/quote]


no.. and im not going out to my garage... get me a beer while your at it...


:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by flasch7192@Sep 22 2005, 09:46 PM
70ft lbs
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=887834
[/quote]
cat in a bulletin dropped this to 55 lbs back in january i believe(date of bulletin)to help allievate the broken bolt syndrome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i got 77#s

70 #s

55 #s

And a beer :beerchug:

Do you guys know cat superseded the 2005 diamond drive cases to a new #
Now there superseded to 2006 diamond drive cases that has a different seal on the input shaft/upper behind secondary clutch - Cat sent my dealer two sets of seals and i just matched up to the old ones - Lowers next to drivers appear the same as 2006
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,423 Posts
55 lbs is what you want Scott, aware of the seal changes, nothing but a clusterfuck, listening to them TRY to explain the correct placement of the lowers was a meaningless exercise in futility :flush:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by C-NOTEPLUSf503@Sep 22 2005, 10:02 PM
55 lbs is what you want Scott, aware of the seal changes, nothing but a clusterfuck, listening to them TRY to explain the correct placement of the lowers was a meaningless exercise in futility :flush:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=888099
[/quote]

Thanx C Note :beerchug:

My seals look like they were installed correctly from the factory

Personal experience tells me seal lips/seal springs facing gear oil

The outside seal by drivers they had the seal lip/seal spring also facing towards the inside towards gear oil - Correct/Not correct Thanx scott
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Sep 23 2005, 12:29 AM
Personal experience tells me seal lips/seal springs facing gear oil

The outside seal by drivers they had the seal lip/seal spring also facing towards the inside towards gear oil - Correct/Not correct Thanx scott
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=888135
[/quote]
experience says one thing, the explanation i got from them was :wtf:

sounds like you're good to go,,,,,,,,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
i put the lower seal on the driver with the garter spring facing out toward the driver and the inside seal with the garter spring facing the oil.. oil in water out..
cat had both seals on my sled with the garter springs facing the oil, wich in my opinion would allow moisture to easily enter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the picture
#2 + #4 + #20 are the seals - To me it looks like all three have the springs facing inward towards the gear oil

If you put the outer seal spring #4 facing outward toward the drivers , i dont think it would take much time before ice , moisture , water freezing would take that spring out in no time along with corrosion - Correct me if im wrong Scott

Also see part #11 The magnetic pickup for speed sensor - When i was putting everthing together i noticed that was cracked in three places all the way through - Might have come apart down the road as its only plastic - Is cheap in price but had to order one through cat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Sep 23 2005, 10:42 PM
In the picture
#2 + #4 + #20 are the seals - To me it looks like all three have the springs facing inward towards the gear oil

If you put the outer seal spring #4 facing outward toward the drivers , i dont think it would take much time before ice , moisture , water freezing would take that spring out in no time along with corrosion - Correct me if im wrong Scott

Also see part #11 The magnetic pickup for speed sensor - When i was putting everthing together i noticed that was cracked in three places all the way through - Might have come apart down the road as its only plastic - Is cheap in price but had to order one through cat
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=889568
[/quote]

yup i agree with you a 100% i am actually looking for a dust cover that will keep ice away from the garter spring.

the speedo pick up only lasted a 1000 miles on my sled
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
bee, just found the bulliten on snow west for the M7. the out side seal wants to have the garter spring facing toward the drivers.. there is no updated seal it is the same just installed wrong.. i still agree with the idea that the spring will vaporize.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by brokenbones@Sep 25 2005, 07:26 PM
bee, just found the bulliten on snow west for the M7. the out side seal wants to have the garter spring facing toward the drivers.. there is no updated seal it is the same just installed wrong.. i still agree with the idea that the spring will vaporize.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=892298
[/quote]

Do you have this bulliten or can you post it here ??
I would like to read it if you can post it here :cn: - Thanx Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
I agree the spring is manufactured to be in the clean oil or dry not out
in the dirt...LOTS OF LUCK ENGINEERING and let us know how it works
out after the warranty expires.....More work as now I will have to check
my ZR900.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Sep 25 2005, 11:41 PM
Do you have this bulliten or can you post it here ??
I would like to read it if you can post it here :cn: - Thanx Scott
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=892622
[/quote]
they're correct on what a/c wants the seal positioned/installed like, stupid isn't it??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,132 Posts
lips always face the direction you are trying to seal. want to seal oil in... then lips face the oil. want to keep water and ice out... lips face ice and water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by killerrf@Sep 27 2005, 08:05 PM
lips always face the direction you are trying to seal.  want to seal oil in... then lips face the oil.  want to keep water and ice out... lips face ice and water.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896418
[/quote]

Thats fine and dandy and i understand completely - But then cat needs to redesign the seal so the garter spring is not exposed to the elements , plain and simple -
The Seal lips are pretty useless when the spring is destroyed by moisture , ice ,dirt , and corrosion or worse yet disappears
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top