Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
On the indy 600 to grease the driveshaft bearing route your hose through the footwell
or the bottom of it, 2 squirts only, check,look inside tunnel at the front of machine to see if grease came out the sides. Jackshaft bearing grease it also its not hard to do
and will give you piece of mind. Take left, brake side panel off, take belt off the secondary or off altogether. There a bolt in the middle of the secondary loosen it right
off pull off secondary, use sheet of plastic or something to catch a washer or two they may fall down. Pull back washers close to the bearing, next get a very small screwdriver blade and gently pry at the top rubber maybe orange in colour until you see it start to move, it pulls off easy so take your time, kleen out bearing, or just repack it with waterproof grease, Belray etc or polaris grease. Put cover back on and press all sides, next count the washers on the spindle, there will some on the back of the secondary, just make sure you have an even amount of washers on both ends.
Torque ft lbs of the secondary is 18 ftlbs. Helpful take a photo of behind the secondary and spindle when you first pull it off. Guarantee it will need grease my sled less than 17,000 km it was looking dry. Look on the site for photos of members doing this particular rather easy sled maintenance

·
Registered
141 Posts
My bad 1,700 km on the jackshaft bearing, condition was oily but no visible grease whatsoever......

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Pumping grease into the drive bearing will do absolutely nothing. Polaris put sealed bearings on the drive shaft so grease will not be forced into the bearing. You have to remove the speedo cup and either pry the seal out like the jack shaft or if it’s a metal seal like both my Indy’s you need a needle attachment for the grease gun and grease it via 2 small holes in the outer bearing race. It can be done with just removing belt and secondary.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Update, depending on the year of your polaris indy as mentioned by XCR Rocket do not
grease the fitting on the driveshaft bearing, the grease does not go into the bearing.....

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Any idea on the year? MIL has a 18? i believe with only 1000 miles and I planned on doing a full service for her this fall.

·
Registered
141 Posts
zee look up your sled and see which drive bearing you have, pretty sure its been updated
meaning different manufacturer. When you do your fall maintenance pull off the secondary
and locate your jackshaft bearing, pick the rubber seal off and see how much grease there
is but your sled has only 1,000 miles on it, the bearing should last another season. i left out
find out which bearing you have then google it to see if there is any grease holes, if still not
sure contact your dealer, mechanic and ask if the bearing has holes in it so that it can be
greased,..... Not sure on bearing seal removal, you tube for more info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts