Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. I've got most of my parts in hand and the first thing I'll be doing is slapping my rear suspension back in after the shocks return from getting rebuilt. I've been through the big thread about updating the to the 2020 front end a bunch of times and it seems like guys have moved the shaft for the center shock forward 1/2". For those who have done this can you please just confirm details on this for me and maybe post a photo or two. I have to assume this 1/2" that's mentioned is center to center off the original stock hole but thats not actually mentioned specifically. I don't want to screw this up and have to buy new rails. Sled is a 2016 ZR8000 Ltd 137". I actually ordered my front end parts directly through Cat's website with the July2020 discount, saved a bunch of money and was pleasantly surprised how quickly I had most of my order in Massachusetts (4 days!) now lets see when I get the rest so I can finish the job.

Thanks in advance for the help, I appreciate it.

- Matt

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have read similar threads and posts on this site as well as on the TY4stroke forum.
I feel as though drilling the rails as you've described may cancel out your new front suspensions' purpose.
The spindle is 1.5 inches longer in theory to push the ski into the snow with more force, essentially giving the front end more "bite."
Now by drilling your rails, it will effectively cancel out the extra bite the new front suspension offers as the center shock in its new location will take the pressure off the skis.

This is all in theory if nothing were adjusted (spring tension, etc)
Personally, I would measure a dozen times, then drill your rails with the new hole located .5 inches forward.
Then reassemble your suspension with the center shock in its stock location. Ride the sled, and if you feel the need, try the new location you've drilled.

Good luck, pray for snow.

PS: incase you're interested here is the link to the TY4stroke forum. Lots in reading with tons of info on the topic.

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
Go dig through my thread on the 2020 front end f7rat posted how tall the arm and straps need to be to match the 2020.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
I have read similar threads and posts on this site as well as on the TY4stroke forum.
I feel as though drilling the rails as you've described may cancel out your new front suspensions' purpose.
The spindle is 1.5 inches longer in theory to push the ski into the snow with more force, essentially giving the front end more "bite."
Now by drilling your rails, it will effectively cancel out the extra bite the new front suspension offers as the center shock in its new location will take the pressure off the skis.

This is all in theory if nothing were adjusted (spring tension, etc)
Personally, I would measure a dozen times, then drill your rails with the new hole located .5 inches forward.
Then reassemble your suspension with the center shock in its stock location. Ride the sled, and if you feel the need, try the new location you've drilled.

Good luck, pray for snow.

PS: incase you're interested here is the link to the TY4stroke forum. Lots in reading with tons of info on the topic.
It will not cancel out the extra bite the new front suspension offers as this is how the 2020's were designed and set-up.

As for drilling the rails I removed the skid from the machine that was getting the update and placed on my machinist table so I knew I had a totally flat surface. Then I measured the height of the front arm, then I removed the lower center shock mounting bolt along with the shorter (old) limiter straps. Then I moved the lower shock mount forward until I achieved the .0625". At that time I traced around the lower shock shaft with a black Sharpie so when shaft was removed I then found the center to mark for the new hole. I was planning on doing a write-up on it in the spring but never got around to it but will get it done.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will not cancel out the extra bite the new front suspension offers as this is how the 2020's were designed and set-up.

As for drilling the rails I removed the skid from the machine that was getting the update and placed on my machinist table so I knew I had a totally flat surface. Then I measured the height of the front arm, then I removed the lower center shock mounting bolt along with the shorter (old) limiter straps. Then I moved the lower shock mount forward until I achieved the .0625". At that time I traced around the lower shock shaft with a black Sharpie so when shaft was removed I then found the center to mark for the new hole. I was planning on doing a write-up on it in the spring but never got around to it but will get it done.
Thanks F7Rat, I was hoping to get a reply from someone who's done this before. I've got the skid out to get shocks rebuilt so I want to do everything I can the right way and drilling the rails if probably the first thing I'll do before I put it all back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts