Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some measurements for the mounting of a dragon skid into my xc, anyone have some pics or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I need some measurements for the mounting of a dragon skid into my xc, anyone have some pics or suggestions?
i own a 07 dragon and a edge rmk.i can snap photos tonight when i get off if that helps?

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
I think the dragon is similar to the fusion skid for measurements..?

the newer tunnels are narrower than the old stuff, so you'll need to fab up some 1/4" spacers to go inside the tunnel on the xc

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
derp, 98s a wedge, not an edge.dont mind me by ' lol

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The 07 Dragon skid is an IQ skid. What the OP needs is the measurement from the front drive back to the front torque arm bolt, and the distance from the top of the tunnel to the front torque arm bolt. Then the distance between the front and rear torque arm bolts, and finally the distance from the tunnel to the rear torque arm bolt.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
There isn't much advantage with the iq skid vs the xc's unless just needing a skid. Its the rider forward concept with those iq sleds thats improved, not the actual skid itself.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
There isn't much advantage with the iq skid vs the xc's unless just needing a skid. Its the rider forward concept with those iq sleds thats improved, not the actual skid itself.
I disagree, the extra 10 in a 98 cc doesnt ride near as good as an edge skid. Edge skid to iq I see no difference.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
I disagree, the extra 10 in a 98 cc doesnt ride near as good as an edge skid. Edge skid to iq I see no difference.
Thats what i was comparing ....an xc edge skid to the iq. Maybe i missed something....how did the extra 10 come into this? That skid rode horrible, but fast.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Thats what i was comparing ....an xc edge skid to the iq. Maybe i missed something....how did the extra 10 come into this? That skid rode horrible, but fast.
op has a 98'xc.wedge id assume.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
edge to iq look nearly identical to me. just better shocks factory.outside of that though, i dunno if there not exactly the same?

extra ten is a kydney bruiser

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
I've ridden early iq sleds, imo, they are no better then my edge. Some like the shift really suck due to cheap shocks. Ride them hard and you'll know.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I've ridden early iq sleds, imo, they are no better then my edge. Some like the shift really suck due to cheap shocks. Ride them hard and you'll know.
my dragon benefits due to walker clicker needle shocks took that year straight from the race department. very good shocks.probably the best ive had on any sled.

id bet if i switched those walkers onto my edge and put my sacked out indy selects from my rmk onto the dragon , any advantage in ride quality my dragon has over my edge would be gone and the edge would ride better.

shocks is the difference between my 05 edge and 07 dragon in rear suspension.nothing else.

even the rider position with the raised bars and boss seat on my edge all but eliminates that advantage as well.

one thing i will say, the dragons cfi system is easier on the thumb then my carbed edge. and its faster.thats about it as far as advantages. since strecthing out from 121 to 144 on the d7, id give cornering to the edge.i also feel more planted at higher speeds on the edge. gas mileage almost no difference.

and this is coming from a guy who owns both right now. the iq has grown on me, but still feel safer at the limit on the edge platform.

if my iq blows up and i go the part out route down the road , im keeping the c and a skis and the walker shocks and putting them on the edge. those shocks when turned up you can really nail the woops and feel almost nothing. they really are terrific units for that time period.i hear the air shocks the year after were junk in comparison. also the same with what came on the shift sleds. i got the year to have as far as dragon shocks.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
my dragon benefits due to walker clicker needle shocks took that year straight from the race department. very good shocks.probably the best ive had on any sled.

id bet if i switched those walkers onto my edge and put my sacked out indy selects from my rmk onto the dragon , any advantage in ride quality my dragon has over my edge would be gone and the edge would ride better.

shocks is the difference between my 05 edge and 07 dragon in rear suspension.nothing else.

even the rider position with the raised bars and boss seat on my edge all but eliminates that advantage as well.

one thing i will say, the dragons cfi system is easier on the thumb then my carbed edge. and its faster.thats about it as far as advantages. since strecthing out from 121 to 144 on the d7, id give cornering to the edge.i also feel more planted at higher speeds on the edge. gas mileage almost no difference.

and this is coming from a guy who owns both right now. the iq has grown on me, but still feel safer at the limit on the edge platform.

if my iq blows up and i go the part out route down the road , im keeping the c and a skis and the walker shocks and putting them on the edge. those shocks when turned up you can really nail the woops and feel almost nothing. they really are terrific units for that time period.i hear the air shocks the year after were junk in comparison. also the same with what came on the shift sleds. i got the year to have as far as dragon shocks.
Walkers are a good rebuildable clicker shock, but like any they need to be valved right. Imo, the fox and the standard ryde shocks that came on an edge could be valved much better for a rider than what they came as. The ryde solo clicker shocks on the 50th anniversary edge were real close working well, but the rear skid shocks were not. Don't think the shocks off your dragon will fit an edge...not the same lengths....too long

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Walkers are a good rebuildable clicker shock, but like any they need to be valved right. Imo, the fox and the standard ryde shocks that came on an edge could be valved much better for a rider than what they came as. The ryde solo clicker shocks on the 50th anniversary edge were real close working well, but the rear skid shocks were not. Don't think the shocks off your dragon will fit an edge...not the same lengths....too long

the rear clicker i think maybe too short to fit the edge if anything.dragon started life as a 121 model.edge was factory 144 with the inch longer shock.fronts im not sure about, they look longer.

im currently shopping for a decent replacement set for the rear suspension, as the indy selects appear to be non rebuildable and tired.found a new set of fox zero pros ' on ebay , but shipping and import fees make it dam near 800 cdn for just the 2 rear. seems steep for non clickers.

should have thought ahead and held on to that rear clicker that was on my switchback i had just rebuilt before totalling the sled.

doh.

any recomendations?

·
Registered
351 Posts
the rear clicker i think maybe too short to fit the edge if anything.dragon started life as a 121 model.edge was factory 144 with the inch longer shock.fronts im not sure about, they look longer.

im currently shopping for a decent replacement set for the rear suspension, as the indy selects appear to be non rebuildable and tired.found a new set of fox zero pros ' on ebay , but shipping and import fees make it dam near 800 cdn for just the 2 rear. seems steep for non clickers.

should have thought ahead and held on to that rear clicker that was on my switchback i had just rebuilt before totalling the sled.

doh.

any recomendations?
a (rebuildable) shock that is too long can be shortened... any reputable suspension shop can do it

·
Registered
44,410 Posts

doh.

any recomendations?
Not sure about shock lengths for the rear skis,but pretty sure the front clickers shocks are too long. Nothing wrong with the standard fox shocks...they will actually ride nicer for guys that don't like to pound trails. You might be able to find some used freshly rebuilt ones from these guys like carver for a lot less. You'd have to call them or others to inquire.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Not sure about shock lengths for the rear skis,but pretty sure the front clickers shocks are too long. Nothing wrong with the standard fox shocks...they will actually ride nicer for guys that don't like to pound trails. You might be able to find some used freshly rebuilt ones from these guys like carver for a lot less. You'd have to call them or others to inquire.
yeah im not too worried about the ski shocks as of now.want to get some for the rear suspension seeing im already replacing the bearings and hyfax.like to get it done all at once.i got 2 extra set of torsion springs, but the ones on her look new so thats about all ill reuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i own a 07 dragon and a edge rmk.i can snap photos tonight when i get off if that helps?
Hello, sorry for a late answer !, totally forgot I posted here, that would be golden with the dragon!
Photos and some measurements would be awesome 😎

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 07 Dragon skid is an IQ skid. What the OP needs is the measurement from the front drive back to the front torque arm bolt, and the distance from the top of the tunnel to the front torque arm bolt. Then the distance between the front and rear torque arm bolts, and finally the distance from the tunnel to the rear torque arm bolt.
Exactly, that's what I'm out for, if anyone has that it would be golden👍

1 - 20 of 30 Posts