Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I love this sled. It handles like a dream, great suspension, plenty of power corner to corner and floats in the powder. It whails! A couple of observations.....with a 136 track 1.75", stock gearing 23/39 (1.7) max speed is 85 mph. Though it gets there in a heart-beat, I thought it would do a little better top end. Any ideas......much thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
86 Posts
ON THE ENGINE CLUTCH, TAKE A BLACK MARKER AND MAKE A MARK ( 1/2 INCH WIDE) DOWN ONE INCH AND THEN RUN IT ON A HARD PACK AND SEE HOW FAR THE BELT IS COMING UP. IF IT RUNS TO THE TOP, YOU ARE AT THE TOP OF THE GEARING. IF IT IS NOT TO THE TOP, START WORKING ON ITEMS THAT WILL GET YOUR THERE.

JB

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
The 1.75 track is going to substantially cut your speed and increase drag. If you pull above 90 you'll be doing well. I suggest you install 1.80 or better gears. I've found 23/42 gears with a 78 pitch chain to work well in my 151" Switchback.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Falcon- Top speed in a foot of powder is about 78mph, hard pack is about 87mph. with my 1.5 track. 200miles on the sled now and no complaints other than the top end like yourself. With the stock gearing I have right now i am just a little slower than the 121 in the foot of powder we got the other night. I rode with my dealer today and we also talked about gearing to 1.80 or better(actually 1.82). Probably won't touch it until next week. On the hard pack it flys up to the 85 and falls flat. But its so easy to pull over on its side. not like my 900 rmk.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RMKConfusion: Good luck with the gear change. Looks like we are both experiencing pretty much the same issue. Almost identical. Other than the top-end speed, I really like the sled, it flies down the trail, and handles great. I would really be interested in your gear change-out results. Thanks to everyone for thier assistance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RMKConfusion,...Had a chance to try the Dragon 136 gearing (1.82) yet, was just wondering? BTW, my secondary was hitting a steel rivet which was used to secure a crossmember, right behind the clutch. Some of the aluminum off the sheve was left on the rivet. Just something to watch out for, its in the shop. Anyway, happy trails.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not yet. .I only have 200 miles on it. No time to ride and we had not enough snow until 2 weeks ago. Going to drop it off at the dealership to tinker with next week. Thanks for the update on the rivet. Have you run into the bog that everyone is talking about. I had mine do it, I was standing up it almost sends you over the handle bars. I got to line up with some 121 dragons, with the stock gearing and my deeper track they only had me by sled length on 1/2 mile blast. Wife ordered me the polaris can for my christmas present. Supposed to be in the end of January. Thats all for updates.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My Dragon RMK with SLP pipe and can will hit 89-90 on really hard hardpack (about 8% overdrive at 8250-8300rpm). In snow, about 74 is tops. That's with a 155 2.4" track with 20/41's. My 600 HO RMK would hit the same speed on hardpack last year, just took a little longer. YMMV. Does the 136 kit use the big rear idlers?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RMKConfustion: Thanks for the updates. I had the Dragon in for the clutch work (rivet) and they installed the fuel tank modification to prevent the bog while it was in the shop. It never bogged on me though. How much oil are you using? The trip this weekend, I put on 80 miles (good deep snow riding, 1-2 feet all day) and it used at least half of the oil in the tank. Seems high to me. I also checked to see if my clutches were opening all the way (made a mark on the top of the primary) and its getting to within 3/8" of the top. My dealer says that is where its supposed to be for full shift-out, just checking.
2F7's: The dealer was able to use the original "Big Wheels" that came with the Dragon 121 on the Polaris 136 kit. I think they are 8 inchers. All for now, keep the shiny side up.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey falcon, I had it at the dealer last week and they have tried 66 for the weights, almond spring and drop one the top. I forgot to ask what that made for a ratio. Last weekend I got out sunday but it was a dull day and didn't havethe never to really open up in fear of hitting a hard drift. I have gone thru eight plugs because of fouling and the plugs are always black when a check them so I don't see much sense of doing anymore clutching until the flash comes out at the end of the month for the few rich dragons out there. How is your sled working out? Did you ever get a rack for your spare fuel tank? (I haven't found one yet) minus 31 celuis here this wekend so I won't get any more riding in.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well not a Dragon but....

My Switchback700 with a 144 1.25 track came with 23/39 stock.
It is currently SLP single/reeds etc so likely around 138hp or so.

I geared it to 22/40 and it appears to be a very efficient ratio.
Pulls very hard to nearly 100 on the speedo which is around 92 or so actual.
Lost about 4 mph from 23/39 but is clearly stronger on accel and midrange rollon and very snappy.
I'm sure the clutches/belt are running cooler too. No belt dust to speak of evident.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RMKConfusion....I've got a little miss in the 6-8,000 rpm range from time to time. Nothing big as of now. I have only fouled one set of plugs, just after the breakin oil tank was used up. I've been running premium fuel, there are some posts that say the sled works great on regular, might give that a try. It did quit while I was going 1/2-3/4 throttle accross a swamp, finally restarted after we held the throttle open 1/4 and pulled on it. The dealer said my throttle cable had streached, and adjusted it, said that the TPS had kicked in...! My gas rack came out great. Just used two short pieces of 2 inch aluminum angle mounted in between the seat and the plastic tunnel cover along each side with holes drilled for tie downs pop riveted in place. Found a white 2 gallon gas can to fit, made by Mercury, which the tail-light lights up at night so I didn't have to move my tail light. Took her back in cause it was eating too much oil and the dealer adjusted it so now it eats about one quart per 10 gallons of fuel, 40:1 which is good. Still think she is geared a little too tall, but runs well so am keeping at stock gearing for now, maybe change to 22/40 (1.82) next year. The new reflash should help us all, am looking forward to it. Thanks for the post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts