Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again the dog sledders were out on the groomed snowmobile trail. The guy I spoke to said, Brokenhead Trailblazers sells them a snowpass and they are entitled to be there. Maybe Polaris Dave can verify this. If this is correct, I think Snoman needs to get involved. Its the same people every year. I asked the guy why they don't go down any of the other 20 trails in the area, and his reply was they liked the groomed trail. He also said they can't keep the dogs on their side of the trail. This is an accident waiting to happen. If you are on this trail watch for footprints and slow down. They park on the road going into the golf course.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Once again the dog sledders were out on the groomed snowmobile trail. The guy I spoke to said, Brokenhead Trailblazers sells them a snowpass and they are entitled to be there. Maybe Polaris Dave can verify this. If this is correct, I think Snoman needs to get involved. Its the same people every year. I asked the guy why they don't go down any of the other 20 trails in the area, and his reply was they liked the groomed trail. He also said they can't keep the dogs on their side of the trail. This is an accident waiting to happen. If you are on this trail watch for footprints and slow down. They park on the road going into the golf course.[/b]
They have every right to be on the trails like you and me, as it is crown land. I know that they have purchased a pass years ago, but not recently or this year to my knowledge. When they did purchase a pass, it was just to offer support for grooming, etc...
I have also had close calls with them in the past, and they actually ran into the back of the sleigh I was pulling when I was parked off to the side of the trail a few years back.
They know the dangers of running their dogs on busy days and if they are willing to take that risk, then there's not much we can do. I do remember them pulling a drag to groom some of the other trails in the Mars Hills, but I don't think they've done it this year.
You as a snowmobiler also need to be aware that there can be any type of traffic on the trails at any time. There are some dogsled caution signs posted in the Mars Sand Hills.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Seems ridicules to allow them on the trail - I don't wanna be the guy to hit a bunch of dogs out there. If quads are not allowed to use the trails then why would dog sledders or anyone other than a snowmobiler? You think a cross country ski trail would be a better/safer bet for them.

Your right Snoman should address this immediately before something happens – I doubt their insurance would cover this and it’s not like the dog sledder is carrying collision insurance.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
We need to co-exist with all other types of recreation, especially within the Mars Sand Hills WMA (wildlife management area). This means, dogsledders, horseback riders, people walking and even ATVs. Snowmobilers don't own the trails. If we don't drop this attitude, conservation could easily ban all motorized vehicles from the Mars Hills WMA, similarly to some other WMAs in the province.
You must always drive defensively as there could be any obstacle on the trail in front of you. If you run into something, you are at fault as well for going too fast.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, everyone has the right to use a Crown land trail. There has to be common sence though. We see horseback riders in the summer on those trails, but their smart enough to stay off in the winter. If they can not stay on their side of the trail, I will not give them any respect if they are on the trail. The attitude I got from the guy I spoke with was pathetic. I will contact Snoman and post their response.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess you get that way when you almost kill yourself trying to get out of the way of a bunch of dogs. I am sure your attitude will change when someone is hurt on your clubs trails because there were 8 dogs tied to a sleigh, running as fast as possible on the wrong side of the trail.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Well, yeah, I guess they should be allowed to use it because ino one really owns the land, but I really hate coming around a corner at 50-60 mph and there's a dogsled though. :banghead:

·
Registered
789 Posts
We need to co-exist with all other types of recreation, especially within the Mars Sand Hills WMA (wildlife management area). This means, dogsledders, horseback riders, people walking and even ATVs. Snowmobilers don't own the trails. If we don't drop this attitude, conservation could easily ban all motorized vehicles from the Mars Hills WMA, similarly to some other WMAs in the province.
You must always drive defensively as there could be any obstacle on the trail in front of you. If you run into something, you are at fault as well for going too fast.[/b]
So I assume there is no longer any penalty for not having a snow pass on the trails and we have every right to use cross country ski trails as well?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Aren't cross country ski trails in the parks, which is a totally different story. I could be wrong though. I personally know from experience that you cannot ride your sled on a cross country ski trail.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
So I assume there is no longer any penalty for not having a snow pass on the trails and we have every right to use cross country ski trails as well?[/b]
You know what they say when you assume.

Do you get a fine for driving on ski trails?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Well, yeah, I guess they should be allowed to use it because ino one really owns the land, but I really hate coming around a corner at 50-60 mph and there's a dogsled though. :banghead:[/b]
So what if there's a tree down or a groomer just around the corner or a sledder going the wrong way on a one way trail? Same difference.

Snopass legislation is for snowmobiles only. Period.

For snowmobiling to continue in delicate areas, like Mars Sand Hills, we all need to cooperate and work together. Like I said, bitching about this might cause us to loose the privileges we already have, so shut up (not aimed directly at you Delgaty) and ride!!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
You know what they say when you assume.

Do you get a fine for driving on ski trails?[/b]
You better believe you do. Got one a couple of years ago in westhawk. Wasn't riding on them on purpose was only on it for a little while until realized crap is this ever one narrow sled trail. Ranger Bob didn't care for excuses got a hefty ticket. six or so years ago was atleat $130. I realize though that if I would of come across a cross country skier, wouldn't have been good. Funny thing though it was late spring there was no snow anywhere except a bit on that trail. There was open water and stretches of bare gravel. There was no way anyone was skiing on that trail.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You better believe you do. Got one a couple of years ago in westhawk. Wasn't riding on them on purpose was only on it for a little while until realized crap is this ever one narrow sled trail. Ranger Bob didn't care for excuses got a hefty ticket. six or so years ago was atleat $130. I realize though that if I would of come across a cross country skier, wouldn't have been good. Funny thing though it was late spring there was no snow anywhere except a bit on that trail. There was open water and stretches of bare gravel. There was no way anyone was skiing on that trail.[/b]
Wow, didn't know that.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
:smilielol: right you are.

I would assume (oh no I did it again) we would get a fine on a ski trail as an ATV or 4x4 would on a groomed sled trail.[/b]
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Probably because the ski trails are in the parks.
Nothing is stopping anyone from driving their truck down a groomed trail. It sucks, but there's no law because it is crown land. Trails on private property are a different story.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Polaris Dave, you articulate the real nature of trail stewardship. You are a credit to your club.
It's exactly the same way here on Federal lands. In fact, they hold dog sled races on our club trails.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.