Hardcore Sledder banner

does this look like base gasket failure to you ?

7K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  too slow 
#1 ·
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Liquid Wood Material property
Automotive tire Grey Rim Auto part Metal

See less See more
#3 ·
started it up after, i can see some coming from where the base bolts on.its not really noticeable or pouring out , but theres definitely some bleeding from somewhere in there.

would there be any compression loss or anything if the base gasket was failing? i know if head gaskets go you can get some antifreeze seeping , but this just seems like the stuff you get behind the ves bellows.

#7 · (Edited)
Clean it all off, and run the sled to see where it originates from.
To me it looks like exhaust gasket leak. However by the looks of the oil fuel mixture running down the upper part " cylinder head cover and head", maybe someone ran a loose spark plug. Is there goo on the top of the head cover?
Its possible you could have a base gasket leak if the gasket is seeping mixture at the corner of the gasket, " bolt hole part of gasket," and seeping up and out of the cylinder nut as you mentioned seeing fuel coming from the nut. Check if the cylinder nuts are torqued and not loose. However even if you see mixture coming from the cylinder base nut, i believe you have more of an issue seeing all the mixture residue spread out the way it is. Again clean all the goo off and run it to see where its coming from.

#10 ·
its hard to get in that dam crevace to get it completely clean , next day off though thats the plain.this needs a better look.

ill recheck the tq on the base bolts too.

the ves were a headache since i got it.previous owner had it buried in that orange gasket maker crap .

#12 ·
so the list of could bes is as follows, correct me if im wrong or add to it;

base nuts loose.

head biolts loose

bad head gasket

bad base gasket

ves not sealing properly

cylinders cracked ?

anything else to look for or possible cause ?

#13 ·
so the list of could bes is as follows, correct me if im wrong or add to it;

base nuts loose.

head biolts loose

bad head gasket

bad base gasket

ves not sealing properly

cylinders cracked ?

anything else to look for or possible cause ?
except for the loose head bolts, bad head gasket, and the cracked cylinder,,,,,, mmmmmmmmmmmm not likely.

#21 ·
Have you removed the exhaust valves and checked them? I’m not familiar with That motor, but is that a casting seam or is that a point of separation between the cylinder and the valve? I would say this is exhaust oil and gas finding a way out. Above that is the head, and if you head was leaking, you’d see coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapajunk Pro

#23 ·
Have you removed the exhaust valves and checked them? I’m not familiar with That motor, but is that a casting seam or is that a point of separation between the cylinder and the valve? I would say this is exhaust oil and gas finding a way out. Above that is the head, and if you head was leaking, you’d see coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapajunk Pro
no coolant .and no sweat smelling white smoke when running, so id say it isnt the head gasket.

the base gasket , maybe a crack in the jug or a ves issue if im a betting man .im going to try and get it nice and clean then run the motor abit and see exactly where the smudge appears .

ill keep ya guys posted.first i need to clean the junk thats there already.

just off nightshift and got tonight off, so im going out picking at this and that. gonna replace the vr today , and i got to cut and resplice my rear headlight connection and may try to get the seat properly attached to the tunnel.the industrial velcro that came with the boss seat is no bueno..

gonna pick at it abit today.might as well.

#34 ·
and although my 7 dragon is running terrific now, id never buy a second one. take from that what ya will lol.

now if i can just not blow the motor , crack in half or sell impulsively like the other 3 , ill have it made.i want to keep this one a long time.

#45 ·
That's right, thanks for the correction, I knew I was off when I typed plastic, lol. My one buddy who did start overheating had a 2005 or 6, IQ Switchback 144. He's not the kind of guy to run the cheapest oil, but I do know his started to fail with far less than 8000 miles. I think the brass gear is common to all year small block liberty twins.

#46 ·
As far as these gears the older small block ves engines were very good, just more prone to overheating at slow speeds. All i can tell you i have another 05 600 i retired years ago with nearly 9,000 miles that still ran well that i used in quebec doing bag trips years ago. Ran only spectro syn-sno, a full synthetic. In the older 600's like my 00 ves i ran everything, even 2 stroke outboard mineral oil. That sled would overheat, and go in the limp mode if a just putted along at 20 mph....same for my 01 and 02 edge.

#47 ·
ive only seen temp light once across all 4 600s and that was my first rmk running on ice and crust for a half hour or more with no sctrachers or studs. the other 3 never saw the temp light, ever.

maybe because i ride alot of narrow ungroomed trails , im constantly hammering it and varying speeds .there also tends to always be some powder around given there ungroomed.

for what its worth, i constantly have the thermostat on my gauge pod up instead of speedometer, and although ive never seen it limp i did see 76 c one time on the dragon and i shut her down.that was the highest i ever saw.normally when i see 60 i stop for a puff break or something.it happens often unless im in a fair bit of powder on that d7.

the edges never gave me grief like that, and 3 of em were 144s

Reactions: too slow
#48 ·
I never saw a temp light on my 03-05 600 edges ever either. We did have a 03 600 edge with the m-10 suspension that year on a trip with us...his temp light came on and the sled went in the limp mode while making the ride down an 18 mile frozen river section. We had to all pull over till his sled cooled down enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.