Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,680 Posts
i love them too. the iq 7 now that its running like a raped ape is growing on me, but the edge is still my favorite sled. its why im on edge 05' 600 number 4 lol.
abesolutely. this place has been invaluable to me.more knowledge and know how on here then anywhere locally , thats for sure.

its why i willingly pay a membership here. the little bit a year is peanuts to what ive saved over the years.pre hcs i was a drop it at the shop guy for everything '.not to mention learning how to do some of my own setting up for better performance is something ive grown to really enjoy.i owe all that to you guys and this site.

thank you.
your welcome my friend. And thank you and all the other great members here that spread there knowledge too.
We all learn from one another.

·
Registered
203 Posts
they dont make em like they used to.

16 years old , 6,826 miles , original top end ...123 per side exactly. just ran another test.
Glad you you got it figured out. I've never owned a 600cc liberty twin, i went from tripples to big block twin, but friends of mine have had a bunch. These are excellent engines, strong and reliable, but they do have one weak link. Someone correct if I'm wrong, but i believe there is a plastic gear that drives the water pump. They wear and need to be replaced well before the anything else on these engines. I know buddies of mine have had it replaced at lower mileage than this. I know one was running hotter, and the rest were done as preventative maintenance. Just an FYI, goodluck, loved my Edge too.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Glad you you got it figured out. I've never owned a 600cc liberty twin, i went from tripples to big block twin, but friends of mine have had a bunch. These are excellent engines, strong and reliable, but they do have one weak link. Someone correct if I'm wrong, but i believe there is a plastic gear that drives the water pump. They wear and need to be replaced well before the anything else on these engines. I know buddies of mine have had it replaced at lower mileage than this. I know one was running hotter, and the rest were done as preventative maintenance. Just an FYI, goodluck, loved my Edge too.

the edge 600s i know had an updated impeler i think in 04 to aid in faster cooling then previous edge 6s 01-03.those early edges did have cooling issues.I think thats what your referring to.I've owned 4 edge 600's,but all were 05' model year.

2 rmk 600s, 1 switchback 600, and a anniversary edition xc shorty.600 never owned one of those earlier edges.

·
Registered
44,189 Posts
No plastic gear like the ski-doo 600 twins. Their brass, but do wear with age...seen a few go early...thinking from cheap 2 stroke oil. Most are good for over 8k miles on good oil.
Around 03 those gears were upgraded to spin quicker to deliver better cooling. As far as the water pump impeller its the same as they ever had.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's right, thanks for the correction, I knew I was off when I typed plastic, lol. My one buddy who did start overheating had a 2005 or 6, IQ Switchback 144. He's not the kind of guy to run the cheapest oil, but I do know his started to fail with far less than 8000 miles. I think the brass gear is common to all year small block liberty twins.

·
Registered
44,189 Posts
As far as these gears the older small block ves engines were very good, just more prone to overheating at slow speeds. All i can tell you i have another 05 600 i retired years ago with nearly 9,000 miles that still ran well that i used in quebec doing bag trips years ago. Ran only spectro syn-sno, a full synthetic. In the older 600's like my 00 ves i ran everything, even 2 stroke outboard mineral oil. That sled would overheat, and go in the limp mode if a just putted along at 20 mph....same for my 01 and 02 edge.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
As far as these gears the older small block ves engines were very good, just more prone to overheating at slow speeds. All i can tell you i have another 05 600 i retired years ago with nearly 9,000 miles that still ran well that i used in quebec doing bag trips years ago. Ran only spectro syn-sno, a full synthetic. In the older 600's like my 00 ves i ran everything, even 2 stroke outboard mineral oil. That sled would overheat, and go in the limp mode if a just putted along at 20 mph....same for my 01 and 02 edge.
ive only seen temp light once across all 4 600s and that was my first rmk running on ice and crust for a half hour or more with no sctrachers or studs. the other 3 never saw the temp light, ever.

maybe because i ride alot of narrow ungroomed trails , im constantly hammering it and varying speeds .there also tends to always be some powder around given there ungroomed.

for what its worth, i constantly have the thermostat on my gauge pod up instead of speedometer, and although ive never seen it limp i did see 76 c one time on the dragon and i shut her down.that was the highest i ever saw.normally when i see 60 i stop for a puff break or something.it happens often unless im in a fair bit of powder on that d7.

the edges never gave me grief like that, and 3 of em were 144s

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
44,189 Posts
I never saw a temp light on my 03-05 600 edges ever either. We did have a 03 600 edge with the m-10 suspension that year on a trip with us...his temp light came on and the sled went in the limp mode while making the ride down an 18 mile frozen river section. We had to all pull over till his sled cooled down enough.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts