Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
124 Posts
Have you removed the exhaust valves and checked them? I’m not familiar with That motor, but is that a casting seam or is that a point of separation between the cylinder and the valve? I would say this is exhaust oil and gas finding a way out. Above that is the head, and if you head was leaking, you’d see coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapajunk Pro

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
124 Posts
this is my 4th edge 600 ves.ive never seen one of em above 125. different gauges maybe? i typically compression test my sleds every season at the start to see if theres any change year to year.

but anyways , besides this kit , if i was to attempt the rebuild myself , what tools do you think id need?a feeler gauge, tq wrench , sockets , some blue loctite, 2 stroke oil ,file, and anything else? any specialty tools required for the pins or anything?

is it necessary to remove the bottom half from the sled or is this pretty doable still in?

or should i just drop the sled off at the shop and say do it lol.

if so, what kinda hours are alotted for a typical top end job ?
No real specialty tools required. Don’t take this to a shop, they will want way too much. I did mine with it still in my Rev chassis, you should have no problem doing this in the chassis.

Drain the coolant. Take the top end off, make sure your cylinders are in spec and I damaged, order new pistons, rings and gaskets and put it back together. Coat everything (except gaskets) in 2 stroke oil.

You seem mechanically inclined, it’s a pretty simple job.

FWIW, I use ProX pistons, they wouldn't last as long as the OEM, but I got 5 seasons out of my last set.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Have you removed the exhaust valves and checked them? I’m not familiar with That motor, but is that a casting seam or is that a point of separation between the cylinder and the valve? I would say this is exhaust oil and gas finding a way out. Above that is the head, and if you head was leaking, you’d see coolant.

no coolant .and no sweat smelling white smoke when running, so id say it isnt the head gasket.

the base gasket , maybe a crack in the jug or a ves issue if im a betting man .im going to try and get it nice and clean then run the motor abit and see exactly where the smudge appears .

ill keep ya guys posted.first i need to clean the junk thats there already.

just off nightshift and got tonight off, so im going out picking at this and that. gonna replace the vr today , and i got to cut and resplice my rear headlight connection and may try to get the seat properly attached to the tunnel.the industrial velcro that came with the boss seat is no bueno..

gonna pick at it abit today.might as well.

·
Registered
44,189 Posts
Most ves big blocks are around 145 to 150. My 2005 700 is 150. Ves 600 should normally be around 130 to 135. But again anything over 100 is doable. That said, i dont want to see anything under 15 psi from normal. Thats just me, as i am super fussy. You seem to be too.
Gotta be the gauge as far as some readings over 130. I've got a pretty decent 2 stroke compression gauge and never have seen over 130 on those stock ves small block 600's. My 00 600 ves was 130 on both barrels. Even my current 05 600 is only 127 on the best day. Once they reach over 5k miles expect some minor loss of compression. I've seen most in the 124-125 area which is still very good.
Getting back to the black spooge...looking more, and more like a ves issue of some type whether gaskets,or crummy mating surfaces between ves casting parts. Can't see, but those exhaust port manifold gaskets have historically been a problem to.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Gotta be the gauge as far as some readings over 130. I've got a pretty decent 2 stroke compression gauge and never have seen over 130 on those stock ves small block 600's. My 00 600 ves was 130 on both barrels. Even my current 05 600 is only 127 on the best day. Once they reach over 5k miles expect some minor loss of compression. I've seen most in the 124-125 area which is still very good.
Getting back to the black spooge...looking more, and more like a ves issue of some type whether gaskets,or crummy mating surfaces between ves casting parts. Can't see, but those exhaust port manifold gaskets have historically been a problem to.
man, couldnt be happier , stupid, but happy.

after spraying down the front with brake clean and cleaning er up, ran the motor and hovered over it.

fucking ves valve. epic.

the stupid part ? yeah , musta forgot to snug up the side bolts on that side.

snugged em up , ran her , gave a few shots , engaged her back and fourth, oil leak gone.

my day is officially made. sweet.

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,680 Posts
man, couldnt be happier , stupid, but happy.

after spraying down the front with brake clean and cleaning er up, ran the motor and hovered over it.

fucking ves valve. epic.

the stupid part ? yeah , musta forgot to snug up the side bolts on that side.

snugged em up , ran her , gave a few shots , engaged her back and fourth, oil leak gone.

my day is officially made. sweet.
Good for you. Also good for our excellent advice to you, lol. For the future, get yourself a service manual for the machine you are working on. Its very important to have. There are special ways of doing certain things. Such as torque head bolts before fully tightening cylinder base nuts, and so on. Dont know if it realy matters, but being a extremely fussy sob as i am. I will do it the way the OEM says. And as for tools. Besides the normal wrenches.definitely have a good torque wrench on hand, and the special wrench to torque the cylinder base nuts. Some use a crows foot. I dont care for those.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
this is my 4th edge 600 ves.ive never seen one of em above 125. different gauges maybe? i typically compression test my sleds every season at the start to see if theres any change year to year.

but anyways , besides this kit , if i was to attempt the rebuild myself , what tools do you think id need?a feeler gauge, tq wrench , sockets , some blue loctite, 2 stroke oil ,file, and anything else? any specialty tools required for the pins or anything?

is it necessary to remove the bottom half from the sled or is this pretty doable still in?

or should i just drop the sled off at the shop and say do it lol.

if so, what kinda hours are alotted for a typical top end job ?
Yes im sure its the gauge. They can read slightly different between brands. Mine may be a few pounds on the good side, lol.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yes it could be the gauge im using.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Good for you. Also good for our excellent advice to you, lol. For the future, get yourself a service manual for the machine you are working on. Its very important to have. There are special ways of doing certain things. Such as torque head bolts before fully tightening cylinder base nuts, and so on. Dont know if it realy matters, but being a extremely fussy sob as i am. I will do it the way the OEM says. And as for tools. Besides the normal wrenches.definitely have a good torque wrench on hand, and the special wrench to torque the cylinder base nuts. Some use a crows foot. I dont care for those.
oh i got the deep snow service manual for all 05's and the service manual for my dragon.both electronic copies on my laptop and printed versions for the shed. i would have never gotten nowhere with the dragon without it.lol

im going to hold off on the top end.like i say , its equal to the lb and only down 2lbs from new on my gauge.

waiting on boysen mid tension reeds to get here and my new clutch springs and pack of delrins for the clutches from venom performance.should be here by next week i hope.

fixed my tailight, remounted the seat proper, installed a new voltage regulator and solved my oil leak.not a bad morning at all.super pleased.

might even order up that tps tool and set that too.hell, may get a set of pipes and a tempa flow too now that i dont got to mess with a top end job lol.

id love to go 660 but theres just no decent engine builders here.closest worth talking about is ontario and the price plus the shipping each way , meh , just not worth it. i do like the sound of those slp twins though.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
she s due for a cleaning but im going to hold off till i get the rest of the work done.
rmmk.jpg
rmmk2.jpg

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
oh i got the deep snow service manual for all 05's and the service manual for my dragon.both electronic copies on my laptop and printed versions for the shed. i would have never gotten nowhere with the dragon without it.lol

im going to hold off on the top end.like i say , its equal to the lb and only down 2lbs from new on my gauge.

waiting on boysen mid tension reeds to get here and my new clutch springs and pack of delrins for the clutches from venom performance.should be here by next week i hope.

fixed my tailight, remounted the seat proper, installed a new voltage regulator and solved my oil leak.not a bad morning at all.super pleased.

might even order up that tps tool and set that too.hell, may get a set of pipesand a tempa flow too now that i dont got to mess with a top end job lol
Ok, good for you.

I made my TPS tester. It wasn't bad to do. And costed a fraction of one you can buy.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You made my day. Looking at a edge always makes my face do the happy look.
i love them too. the iq 7 now that its running like a raped ape is growing on me, but the edge is still my favorite sled. its why im on edge 05' 600 number 4 lol.

Reactions: 340 TX-L

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
and although my 7 dragon is running terrific now, id never buy a second one. take from that what ya will lol.

now if i can just not blow the motor , crack in half or sell impulsively like the other 3 , ill have it made.i want to keep this one a long time.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok, good for you.

I made my TPS tester. It wasn't bad to do. And costed a fraction of one you can buy.
they dont make em like they used to.

16 years old , 6,826 miles , original top end ...123 per side exactly. just ran another test.

Attachments

·
Registered
44,189 Posts
I never had any issue with the the cylinder base nuts having to use a torque wrench ....i just snugged them tight to the feel. Its far more important to torque all those top end nuts, and bolts in the proper assembly order.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Good for you. Also good for our excellent advice to you, lol.
abesolutely. this place has been invaluable to me.more knowledge and know how on here then anywhere locally , thats for sure.

its why i willingly pay a membership here. the little bit a year is peanuts to what ive saved over the years.pre hcs i was a drop it at the shop guy for everything '.not to mention learning how to do some of my own setting up for better performance is something ive grown to really enjoy.i owe all that to you guys and this site.

thank you.

Reactions: 340 TX-L

·
Registered
44,189 Posts
Imo, the later small block edges like the 05 didn't seem to have leaky coolant base gasket issues earlier ones did. I can't recall working on one...lastest was an 02 500 a few years back.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I got the 05 600 switchback,sold the viper 4 stroke and got this with 3000 miles on it for 2500, 92.9 on gps and 17.6 mpg,happy with this sled
had the same one.bought it over last summer, completely restored it, decked it out and demolished it at 89 mph gps not even 2nd tank of gas gone.

beautiful sled bud.mine did a best of 91 mph gps on 1000ft.

love the colour scheme on those. the red loops, meshed oldschool indy vents, windshield, shorty seat,and red belly pan protector i put on when i got her.it was plain jane same as factory when i got it.1200 bucks,but needed alot of work. i went right through the bitch,only to beat the face clean off it and split the chassis in half by january that year lol.it sold in boxes.im still bitter over that one lol.
switcha.jpg
switchb.jpg
switchc.jpg

21 - 40 of 48 Posts