6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edge gasket1.jpg
edge gasket 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty hard to tell in that pic where this spooge is coming from.
started it up after, i can see some coming from where the base bolts on.its not really noticeable or pouring out , but theres definitely some bleeding from somewhere in there.

would there be any compression loss or anything if the base gasket was failing? i know if head gaskets go you can get some antifreeze seeping , but this just seems like the stuff you get behind the ves bellows.

·
Registered
44,189 Posts
Yeah, looks like spent gas/oll mix. That wouldn't come from the base gasket gotta be coming from somewhere related to the exhaust. When base gaskets go its usually coolant that will seep into the lower end on these 600's. I'd clean it up and look for any seepage.

·
Premium Member
18,450 Posts
started it up after, i can see some coming from where the base bolts on.its not really noticeable or pouring out , but theres definitely some bleeding from somewhere in there.

would there be any compression loss or anything if the base gasket was failing? i know if head gaskets go you can get some antifreeze seeping , but this just seems like the stuff you get behind the ves bellows.
It will eventually seize if you have a base gasket air leak. You can easily spray some starting fluid around that joint to see if it affects the idling engine.

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,680 Posts
Clean it all off, and run the sled to see where it originates from.
To me it looks like exhaust gasket leak. However by the looks of the oil fuel mixture running down the upper part " cylinder head cover and head", maybe someone ran a loose spark plug. Is there goo on the top of the head cover?
Its possible you could have a base gasket leak if the gasket is seeping mixture at the corner of the gasket, " bolt hole part of gasket," and seeping up and out of the cylinder nut as you mentioned seeing fuel coming from the nut. Check if the cylinder nuts are torqued and not loose. However even if you see mixture coming from the cylinder base nut, i believe you have more of an issue seeing all the mixture residue spread out the way it is. Again clean all the goo off and run it to see where its coming from.

·
Registered
44,189 Posts
Clean it all off, and run the sled to see where it originates from.
To me it looks like exhaust gasket leak. However by the looks of the oil fuel mixture running down the upper part " cylinder head cover and head", maybe someone ran a loose spark plug. Is there goo on the top of the head cover?
Its possible you could have a base gasket leak if the gasket is seeping mixture at the corner of the gasket, " bolt hole part of gasket," and seeping up and out of the cylinder nut as you mentioned seeing fuel coming from the nut. Check if the cylinder nuts are torqued and not loose. However even if you see mixture coming from the cylinder base nut, i believe you have more of an issue seeing all the mixture residue spread out the way it is. Again clean all the goo off and run it to see where its coming from.
I too notice the black oily goo coming down the water cover thinking it may have originated from a loose spark plug. Either that somewhere from those exhaust 2-1 manifold gaskets or the ves.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its hard to get in that dam crevace to get it completely clean , next day off though thats the plain.this needs a better look.

ill recheck the tq on the base bolts too.

the ves were a headache since i got it.previous owner had it buried in that orange gasket maker crap .

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
[/QUOTE]
its hard to get in that dam crevace to get it completely clean , next day off though thats the plain.this needs a better look.

ill recheck the tq on the base bolts too.

the ves were a headache since i got it.previous owner had it buried in that orange gasket maker crap .
Try brake clean.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so the list of could bes is as follows, correct me if im wrong or add to it;

base nuts loose.

head biolts loose

bad head gasket

bad base gasket

ves not sealing properly

cylinders cracked ?

anything else to look for or possible cause ?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
so the list of could bes is as follows, correct me if im wrong or add to it;

base nuts loose.

head biolts loose

bad head gasket

bad base gasket

ves not sealing properly

cylinders cracked ?

anything else to look for or possible cause ?
except for the loose head bolts, bad head gasket, and the cracked cylinder,,,,,, mmmmmmmmmmmm not likely.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
except for the loose head bolts, bad head gasket, and the cracked cylinder,,,,,, mmmmmmmmmmmm not likely.
whatever she needs she will get..shitty this early , but tis the name of the game i spose.if i gotta tear er down for gaskets might as well rebuild the top end complete and be done with it i spose.

spi top end kits ok or should i go the oem route?

thing has 123 per side

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too notice the black oily goo coming down the water cover thinking it may have originated from a loose spark plug. Either that somewhere from those exhaust 2-1 manifold gaskets or the ves.
thats true.even the headcover got a layer of slim on er.on top.

something weird is up.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
whatever she needs she will get..shitty this early , but tis the name of the game i spose.if i gotta tear er down for gaskets might as well rebuild the top end complete and be done with it i spose.

spi top end kits ok or should i go the oem route?

thing has 123 per side
123 isnt bad. But 130 or a bit higher is normal for a great spec. I never, i repeat never would use aftermarket rebuild top ends over the oem for these liberty's. The oem pistons are made by elko.they are the best. OEM for sure..
Same goes for orings. I've witnessed aftermarket o rings to be thinner than oem. Thicker will seal best

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
123 isnt bad. But 130 or a bit higher is normal for a great spec. I never, i repeat never would use aftermarket rebuild top ends over the oem for these liberty's. The oem pistons are made by elco.they are the best. OEM for sure.
im pretty sure big blocks were up around 130 ish , and my cfi smallblock 7 read 135ish, but i think the typical compression on smallblock ves were 125 per side.

yep , well then oem it will be then.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
im pretty sure big blocks were up around 130 ish , and my cfi smallblock 7 read 135ish, but i think the typical compression on smallblock ves were 125 per side.

yep , well then oem it will be then.
Most ves big blocks are around 145 to 150. My 2005 700 is 150. Ves 600 should normally be around 130 to 135. But again anything over 100 is doable. That said, i dont want to see anything under 15 psi from normal. Thats just me, as i am super fussy. You seem to be too.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Most ves big blocks are around 145 to 150. My 2005 700 is 150. Ves 600 should normally be around 130 to 135. But again anything over 100 is doable. That said, i dont want to see anything under 15 psi from normal. Thats just me, as i am super fussy. You seem to be too.
this is my 4th edge 600 ves.ive never seen one of em above 125. different gauges maybe? i typically compression test my sleds every season at the start to see if theres any change year to year.

but anyways , besides this kit , if i was to attempt the rebuild myself , what tools do you think id need?a feeler gauge, tq wrench , sockets , some blue loctite, 2 stroke oil ,file, and anything else? any specialty tools required for the pins or anything?

is it necessary to remove the bottom half from the sled or is this pretty doable still in?

or should i just drop the sled off at the shop and say do it lol.

if so, what kinda hours are alotted for a typical top end job ?

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
couple more
edge bg1.jpg
edgebg2.jpg
edgebg3.jpg
edgebg4.jpg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts