Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first sled so not sure what is normal... 2015 SB Pro-S 4500 miles. Stock clutch was dirty so had shop put in SLP Stage 1. A buddy listened to it and said it sounded weird but I have no idea. I trust the shop just thought I will get some other feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,356 Posts
First of all, i hope thats frame rate of your phone ,camera or whatever your using to record. Why you ask. Because the crank appears to be bent. As far as sound. Clutches can be noisy to a degree and be fine. As long as bushings are in spec it should be fine. But take a look at your video, and look at the clutch while running again and see if the bent wobble is present.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh ok.. so the new clutch kit would not be culprit here, this would have been any issue prior? Dealer should have caught this when whomever traded it in before offering for sale right?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ugh ok.. so the new clutch kit would not be culprit here, this would have been any issue prior? Dealer should have caught this when whomever traded it in before offering for sale right?
No, the clutch kit wouldn't be at fault. As for the dealer catching the wobble. Its possible they didnt see it, or they just pawned the sled on you. Hard to say. But again. Before you loose your cool, go start the sled and look at the clutch. See if it wobbles like in your video.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok whew.. it was just the video.. when I looked at it again in person it looks fine. Mini panic attack there!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
You will probably notice abnormal vibration too if the crank is bent.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If it’s wobbling like I saw in video (I only got to see it quick once video won’t play for me anymore ) pull that clutch off and start the sled no throttle and see if that pro stub is wobbly. You can also put a dial indicator up to it and turn it over slow and measure runout of the pto end. Look for evidence of the sled being in accident. Anyway if it’s not true. You got problems. Or your dealer does. As the crank will have to come out. Complete and total tear down and inspect. You may find a bent pto end , broken crank , etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah no vibration at all .. and clutch seems to rotate perfectly straight now that I looked again.. Funny, as I just started it and shot the video immediately for the sound not thinking of the frame rate on the video.. lol man I was loosing my shit over here haha

·
Registered
41,652 Posts
Dollars to donuts that crank has way too much runout it the way its wobbling. If not knowing better appears as if the sled had a high speed seizure of the pto piston. Doesn't even sound great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah no vibration at all .. and clutch seems to rotate perfectly straight now that I looked again.. Funny, as I just started it and shot the video immediately for the sound not thinking of the frame rate on the video.. lol man I was loosing my shit over here haha
Are you sure it's not the clutch wobbling? Watching the video, you can see the top of the belt moving, as it's running, in a cyclical way. Also, if you watch the clutch relative to the body, I see a difference in that gap. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Are you sure it's not the clutch wobbling? Watching the video, you can see the top of the belt moving, as it's running, in a cyclical way. Also, if you watch the clutch relative to the body, I see a difference in that gap. I hope I'm wrong.
I do agree with you on thisl i believe the OP should pull the clutch, and put a dial indicator on the pto stub.

·
Registered
41,652 Posts
Of all the sleds i've ever seen, only saw one back in the 80's with a bad polaris p-85 clutch that wobbled. Must have seen over a dozen cranks with the pto end with that kind of runout. Some of them were your truly when blowing a belt or having a squeaker at wot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yeah it does not look like that at all in person.. interesting the video\frame rate would make everything jump around this bad lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts