Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Speaking of oil, what kind of mileage are you getting. I've got an F5 and put on a little over 400 miles this weekend and I used about 1 1/2 gallons. To me that just seemed to be way to much oil. Does this sound right or does that seem to be a lot to you guys?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
that seems a little excessive to me, i was putting in a little less than a quart with about 150 miles on the tank

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,046 Posts
It is not guaged by miles per gallon of oil, but by how many gallons of gas used per gallon of oil.
For a 50:1 gas to oil mix you would need 3 oz. of oil per gallon of gas burned.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a lot everyone. and i have another question, is anyone ese geting oil spatterd from behind the moter?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I also thought the ratio was different for different throttle openings. Don't take this for absolute fact, it's just some numbers that have stuck in my head from way back when, but I thought at idle the ratio was something like 125:1 and decreased as throttle was opened until it was 50:1 at WOT. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? My wife's F7 is very stingy with oil, I rode it 195 miles in Ontario on hard fast trails and it used about a quart.

Pat

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by F-5 sno-pro@Jan 26 2003, 09:04 PM
thanks a lot everyone. and i have another question, is anyone ese geting oil spatterd from behind the moter?
My f5 has oil working its way up the exhaust valve cables an oozing onto the oil tank just below the servo motor. Great design. Shouldn't rust lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
:wub: Hey guys if you feel your oil consumption is out of whack pull the belly pan and check the index marks on your pump arm. My f7 wasn't going through enogh oil in my opinion and sure enough the pump was not adjusted properly. What really sucks is this isn't normally checked on a P.D.I. and if it's lean your motor will likely live long enough to be out of warranty before it scatters. I get two tanks of fuel through her before the light goes on by the way, and lots of oil left in the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts