Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for input on what others have found to be a good all-around backpack for mountain riding. Need to carry some extra items with like a change of clothes if staying at a different location than the starting point, extra gloves, water, maybe toothpaste, ect, ect.... There are top zippered, side zippered, and the choices/differences go on & on. There seem to be a TON of backpacks on the market and I was hoping to weed the choices down to a few. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-John

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by redF5sp@Mar 11 2003, 06:29 AM
DaKine Heli-Pro-#1

http://www.snowshack.com/dakinhellarp.html
redF5sp,
Do you use this particular backpack? I have been doing some research and this particular backpack seems to come up quite ofter ans "the one". I did see that the seams ARE NOT sealed and I'm wondering if this will be a cincern as far as keeping cargo inside of it dry?? Any 1st hand experience? Thanks a lot.
-John

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
redF5sp,
Do you use this particular backpack? I have been doing some research and this particular backpack seems to come up quite ofter as "the one". I did see that the seams ARE NOT sealed and I'm wondering if this will be a concern as far as keeping cargo inside of it dry?? Any 1st hand experience on this? Thanks a lot.
-John

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
As you would with saddle bags, line your pack with a green garbage bag prior to loading it. Then fold the top of the bag down one side before closing the pack. This is cheap insurance against snowdust entering and moistening your belongings. Plus you can leave the soiled laundry under the bag in the bottom of the pack and it's separated from your other, still clean clothing.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Originally posted by JLeosnow@Mar 11 2003, 07:14 AM
redF5sp,
Do you use this particular backpack? I have been doing some research and this particular backpack seems to come up quite ofter as "the one". I did see that the seams ARE NOT sealed and I'm wondering if this will be a concern as far as keeping cargo inside of it dry?? Any 1st hand experience on this? Thanks a lot.
-John
Yes I do have one.I've used it a few times for overnighters last year and didn't have a problem with anything getting wet.Like MUSKOKA800 said,a trash bag would be a little security if the snowdust was gonna be a problem for you,has never been for me though,but I do ride standing up ,quite a bit,so maybe that has something to do with it.The straps are very comfortable and the shovel pocket is nice for the hills and deep powder days .I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have Dakine Daytripper that I really like. I have never had any snow get in there and we have ridden in some pretty deep powder.

·
Registered
978 Posts
when we do over/multi nighters, we strap the 50 dollar choko saddle bags on my dad's sled, ones sies mine and one sides his.... put everything in a plastic shopping bag and ur all set.... take them off when u get to the place ur staying, just liek a suitcase. and ride without them for the remainder of time.

i think saddle bags would be much better than back packs, but i guess one that is made for ridin would be alright....

O... its mountain ridin....

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've ridden with a backpack simular to the one shown in the first post. Also we've used a backpack which is much cheaper with no problems. We ride groomed trails and occasional power lines mostly. We've had little snow dust get into either of our backpacks. Once we used them for clothing. A plastic bag is good insurance, but we've not even had problems with snow getting in without one.

Usually we have a camcorder bag seperately inside our backpack, that way we can hook up our helmetcam to the camcorder which is inside the second bag and running in VCR record mode.

(Haven't done much helmetcam this year.)

They work really well. I can't say how they compare to saddlebags from experience, but we've had very little snow in them. Throwing a change of underwear, a small towel, plastic bag, a few socks and maybe a spare undershirt and you'll be fairly set for touring for a few days. Your pants regular riding shirt can be dried out at the motel if they get wet. . . not much need for many clothes for short trips. The other nice thing about a backpack is you can carry an inner jacket for those really cold trips and not have to wear it all the time.

We carried a backpack perhaps 30% of the time we rode this year. (Mostly to hold camcorders and digital cameras.)

Greg

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wear a $30 old navy back pack. I feel nervous when I don't wear it out riding. I carry oil, first aid, gerber multi-tool and rope with lots of room to spare, It's pretty light too...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wear a camel back. They have many different size to fit many different apps. I would chk out their web sit aand see if there is anything there you like. I use a MULE for the short hops and one of their larger ones for the big rides.

Bob

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not to be the one trying to stir up any controversy, wasn't Camel Back or one of the back pack manufacturer's supporters of the Blue Water coalition that is trying to BAN snowmobiles in Yellowstone? Anyone recall which manufacturer we should be boycotting as snowmobilers, mountain bikers, etc?

Greg

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is my first year riding with a backpack (thanks to the tiny little trunk in the Firecat) but I don't think i'll ever ride without one again.

I use the Camelbak SnoDawg. It goes for about $60-70. It's not huge but big enough to hold everything i need for a day trip. The best part about it is that it holds 70oz of water and has an insulated tube that hangs right on the shoulder strap so you can take a drink without even stopping.

Here's a link to Camelbak's winter line... http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_act.cfm?id=3

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also use a Dakine pack works well many pockets and places to put your gear. The chest straps are great for keeping the pack secure around your waist. ;)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you buy a camelbak replace the bladder with a Platypus brand bladder. Camelbak's are notorious for plastic tasting water. Platypus bladders do not change the taste, you can buy adapters to shower with it in summer, can freeze it, boil it, cook with it etc.....have been using them for years with much better results than Camelbak bladders. Just buy the corresponding size to your current Camelbak. Also they can make any pak a water bladder type pak just buy the tube.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts