Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the continued cold weather we should all be aware of water in the gas tank. This is the time to use isopropyl on a regular basis, and try to keep your tank as full as possible, especially if you store your sled in a heated garage.

Do the following BEFORE you start your sled on a cold morning:

On a cold sled, an easy check for moisture is to remove the fuel cap and check the bottom of the cap and around the inside of the neck for signs of frost. If you see frost, you can be SURE that there is moisture in your tank, and probably on your smart valves. If you see any frost at the filler neck, add a whole bottle of iso BEFORE starting the sled.

·
Registered
298 Posts
rob your right on about this! i did have frost but i never thought about it until your post. buying case of iso tonight. we ride on weekends and store our sleds outside in vermont. would you fill up and add iso b4 leaving on sunday? should we add it to every tank of gas at fill up? i have no way of warming the sled, so i cant screw this up and freeze. too much car driving to find a sled not working. thanks your site has already saved me two times this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by schifty@Jan 21 2003, 07:03 PM
rob your right on about this! i did have frost but i never thought about it until your post. buying case of iso tonight. we ride on weekends and store our sleds outside in vermont. would you fill up and add iso b4 leaving on sunday? should we add it to every tank of gas at fill up? i have no way of warming the sled, so i cant screw this up and freeze. too much car driving to find a sled not working. thanks your site has already saved me two times this year.
fill the tank before you leave but wait and add the iso in the morning before you start the sled the morning of your ride.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thanks Rob BYOFFCR

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Rob have you tried Sta-Dri sticks in the gas tank. 1 lasts a whole season and they really work. Been using them for 5 years.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Rob I kinda have to disagree with you waiting till you ride to put the iso in. Iso sorta mixes with the water and keeps it from freezing. Its not much of an ice melter til it gets above freezing. It takes a whole lot of iso/water mixture to drop out of the gas. EFI dosnt have a bowl or water traps to get rid of some water its all the rail wating to freeze or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was is the U.P. last weekend and I had frost on the bottom of the filler cap when I went to fill up, so I added a bottle of isopropyl and at my next fill up it took care of the frost and I didn't have any problems with the sled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by 720@Jan 22 2003, 02:23 AM
Rob I kinda have to disagree with you waiting till you ride to put the iso in. Iso sorta mixes with the water and keeps it from freezing. Its not much of an ice melter til it gets above freezing. It takes a whole lot of iso/water mixture to drop out of the gas. EFI dosnt have a bowl or water traps to get rid of some water its all the rail wating to freeze or not.
Nope.

Try this: Take a little snow, put it in a glass (outside). Pour ice cold iso over it. It will disolve the snow, and hold it in solution. Then leave the glass outdoors overnight. Next morning you will again find ice in the bottom of the glass. Isopropyl evaporates quickly!!! Put it in on sunday, and it will all evaporate off by the following saturday.

And iso DOES NOT keep the water from freezing.. instead it HOLDS THE WATER molecules in suspension.

If you would have a frozen smart valve and you pour iso on it, if would open the valve. But NOT by melting the ice as salt would melt ice on your sidewalk.. But instead combining with the water molecules and holding them in suspension. UNTIL the iso evaporates of course...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Mainecat@Jan 21 2003, 09:49 PM
Rob have you tried Sta-Dri sticks in the gas tank. 1 lasts a whole season and they really work. Been using them for 5 years.
Yes, I've used the Sta-Dri sticks at times. They work mainly as a preventive, and are good to have. But they can be overwhelmed by a big charge of water (as in a bad batch of gas), and also they won't do anything at all for an already-frozen smart valve. Isopropyl is faster acting.

Also, I've heard that it is not good to use iso with the Sta-Dri sticks, as the iso will absorb some of the moisture from the stick that it has already absorbed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
rob,
if i fill up on sunday and their is some water in that tank won't it freese in the fuel lines and fuel rail? i know the iso will get the smart valve freed but how will it get deep into the fuel system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by schifty@Jan 22 2003, 09:05 AM
rob,
if i fill up on sunday and their is some water in that tank won't it freese in the fuel lines and fuel rail? i know the iso will get the smart valve freed but how will it get deep into the fuel system?
NO. That's the thing with these smart valves... The water can't get past the valve, (unless you defeat the valve by removing the white ring). Putting the iso to it the morning you ride should clear the valves of ice (unless its a huge amount, and then nothing is going to work). Most of the time its just enough frost on the valve membrane to close it off.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Jan 21 2003, 04:42 PM
On a cold sled, an easy check for moisture is to remove the fuel cap and check the bottom of the cap and around the inside of the neck for signs of frost.
Rob, the guy up at the Canaan Gulf station taught me that a couple of years ago. Great Tip!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Rob
I would agree with everything you've said however a full bottle of ISO in one tank might put you on the ragged edge in terms of leaness. I've always been able to clear the frost from the cap with a 1/2 a bottle since typically a full bottle is good for for close to 20 gallons. Just my thoughts.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by catman@Jan 22 2003, 12:18 PM
Rob
I would agree with everything you've said however a full bottle of ISO in one tank might put you on the ragged edge in terms of leaness. I've always been able to clear the frost from the cap with a 1/2 a bottle since typically a full bottle is good for for close to 20 gallons. Just my thoughts.

Jeff
I typically use half a bottle also, and if that feels more comfortable that's fine. But I've often used a full bottle (or even more) in the past without any kind of problems, and I typically have run my carb sleds much closer to the ragged edge than where the EFI operates. Remember that even with a full bottle of iso the ratio is insignificant, on the order of 100:1 or more gas:iso

1 - 20 of 28 Posts