Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some gloves that fit snug. Maybe too snug. They are full leather. I can't decide if I should size up or run em.
Finger tips are just to the tips of the gloves. The snug part is around the fingers. I dont have fat finger but these gloves are tight around them. Will the leather stretch out some? I have some leather conditioner . Making a fist isn't too bad but a little tight. Ive never had full leather gloves before.
These are Judged Gear, co-defendant. 600gram on back 100 on front.
If leather gloves stretch out a significant amount, the next size up may lose dexterity and these large ones may be fine. But for $150, I like to know while i can still exchange them.
Thanks for any help.....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Advice heeded. Ordering bigger!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have exchanged Olympia gloves before with no problem, just don't use them before. They will get loose over time but its a long time and the insulation is going to break down ever so slowly.

·
Registered
40,093 Posts
I agree if gloves are too tight you will miserable every time out with them. Well made leather gloves should last for years and be comfortable.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have two pairs of the same gloves. Yes, they do break in. They don't really get "bigger" per se, but, they do get a lot more flexible. Leather doesn't stretch out so much as it becomes more dextrous. If they are too short or too narrow around your fingers to start with, you're gonna have to size up.

The gloves OP is talking about are very heavy leather, well made, with a huge layer of insulation on the back. More than any other leather glove I have tried. It took me a long time to break mine in (like a season of riding). I really like 'em.

And if you don't, Walt @ Judged has always helped me get the right product and fit for my needs with a minimum of hassle. Small shop but he cares about his customers. I first became aware of his stuff five years ago in Maine and I'm extremely happy with everything I have bought from him, except the goggles -- the goggles work OK and hold up, they just don't fit my particular face/head as well as some other brands.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Once you get the correct size, the best thing for leather, especially heavy leather and leather in the outdoors, is mink oil. I get it at TSC and have been using it since my all leather Polaris suit. Mink oil will keep leather flexible and supple and helps if it sees any moisture. I just put my gloves on, dab a bit on and rub gloves until everything is coated, once a year.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys. The glove seem to be very well made. And I really think they are going to be quite warm. The reinforcements look to be in just the right places. I use the measurements on their site to determine sizing and even went a size up. However these are just too darn snug. About the only thing that I would add to these gloves is some way for me to operate my touch screen phone and GPS with my finger tip. I'm not sure what coating that is but it would be nice if the fingertips had that. I'm very glad that I asked for advice here.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
the one thing I used to do with brand-new leather snowmobile gloves back in the day was shovel the yard several times with them. It really helped to break them in faster than normal.

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.
This is a really good idea. I have a nice pair of leather gloves on their second or third year and I'm just starting to like them. Break in took a long time because I rarely wore them,,,,,because they weren't broke in!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts

Shave cream goes a long way toward softening leather in a hurry.

The glove oil helps preserve it without making it slippery.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I like to break in new gloves with warm weather riding. I wear them on shorter rides most of the time until they are broke in. Hands don't freeze and the gloves flex well with the warm temps. The shoveling idea works well too.

I usually try to purchase gloves that are just snug. They never get tighter with age. I know too tight is a killer. I have made that mistake too. I do test the flexibility of new gloves that seem a bit snug. Make a fist to see if there are any pinch points. Those usually don't go away easily. Pinch points can vary from glove to glove a lot because of manufacturing. Also, a glove that is too tight won't allow a tight fist.

Never really tried oil or conditioners on riding gloves. I was always too worried about getting anything slippery near the grips. I'm curious about the shaving cream idea. Some of those are not oily.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm curious about the shaving cream idea. Some of those are not oily.
It's basically soap. I wouldn't have thought it would work either. But it does shorten up the break in time if you have something made of thick leather that needs to get broken in in a hurry. Rub it in, let it sit for a couple hours, rinse off with clean cold water, wipe it dry with a towel. It can't be great for the leather's lifespan, but it hasn't seemed to hurt anything so far.

And the glove oil's not slippery at all ... in fact it has the opposite effect on quality leather, if used in small amounts and allowed to dry, and it is a good preservative for leather that needs to flex a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts