Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better half has a 1996 Indy 500 with Metal ski's. Have a set of Polaris plastic ski's but the depth at which the ski connects to the spindal is about an inch lower on the plastic compared to the metal ski. Can I put these ski's on the sled and suck the limiter straps up some or would it be better to find a set of longer spindles for it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
97 is when they changed the skis and spindles. If you decide to go with spindles, from what I have seen you can use any of the 97-00 chassis styles. Maybe you can use the Edge spindles too, I'm not sure.

Personally I'd changes spindles. But I am looking at the same situation in my fleet and I have not done it. :)

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,163 Posts
Be sure those now spindles splines, will match the splines in the steering arms.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. Are you sure you have all the parts off the plastic skis....like the rubber bumper and the saddle??

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something doesn't sound right. Are you sure you have all the parts off the plastic skis....like the rubber bumper and the saddle??[/b]
Where the spindle hooks to the ski from the 1996 metal ski to the plastic ski there is close to an inch difference in height. if you set both skis on the ground the plastic ski bolt for the spindle is an inch closer to the ground than on the metal ski so when you bolt on the plastic ski you are losing an inch of height or clearence (that much closet to the ground). Hope I am explaining this correctly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Where the spindle hooks to the ski from the 1996 metal ski to the plastic ski there is close to an inch difference in height. if you set both skis on the ground the plastic ski bolt for the spindle is an inch closer to the ground than on the metal ski so when you bolt on the plastic ski you are losing an inch of height or clearence (that much closet to the ground). Hope I am explaining this correctly.[/b]
Don't worry, you're correct. As I mentioned, they changed to the different spindle foot style in 97. Virtually all of the Polaris skis you enounter were designed for that 97 and later design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts