Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
20,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When running de-icer (HEET, ISO-HEET, ISOPROPYL, etc), what do you guys do with your ethanol switch ... leave it on "regular" if you're running regular gas? Or does your gas become more or less "ethanol" gas which requires the switch to run in ethanol mode? I'm just curious because I've run ISO-HEET in my efi's for years and have never run it in "ethanol" mode. Wondering if I should be doing something different? :huh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leave the switch in regular. The amount of iso that you are adding is negligible. If you were dumping a quart of the stuff in it would be a different story. But a half bottle in 12 gal is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I split a bottle between 3 or 4 sleds everytime We fill up. I buy it by the case off the truck.

·
Administrator
20,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Skydog@Dec 16 2002, 04:09 PM
Rob on the bottle it says one bottle per 10 gal of gas? You only run half?
Thankyou Skydog
That's a good point Skydog ... I've always added the whole bottle when filling my tank full. I don't remember the last time I added only half. If you guys have feedback, that's great. If not, I can always ask the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I usually split a bottle beteen two sleds unless there is an obvious problem.. Then I would dump a whole bottle in. Even then I'd say to leave the switch in regular.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Usually the tank on our sleds is 1/2 or just under when we fill them. You don't need the whole bottle if You do it every time like I do. I have to keep up with 4 sleds when the whole family goes so I keep one bottle in each sled. Grab one bottle and split it 3 or 4 ways.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
As long as it contains isopropyl you will not have a problem!!!!DONT USE HEET-it contains methanyl-will lean out your motor just like ethanyl in gas-to much of ethanyl or methanyl in gas on very cold day,say goodbye to your pistons-in your car its a whole different ballgame(4 stroke) but in a sled(2 stroke)sorry just avoid it-Doesnt heet have a warning label saying dont use in two strokes????

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I honestly think people are making a bigger deal out of the switch then necessary. I put 5000 miles on my ZR600 EFI and so far I have 1800 on my 800 EFI, and I have never unplugged the wire (that's what you had to do on the old technology sleds ^_^ ) for ethanol fuel, and I rarely run premium.

If you are putting in regular 87 octane or higher, I don't believe you should ever run the switch in the ethanol setting. I could be wrong, but I've never had a problem.

Maybe the F7 is more dependant on this that's why they made the switch available on the console???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Dec 16 2002, 04:31 PM
As long as it contains isopropyl you will not have a problem!!!!DONT USE HEET-it contains methanyl-will lean out your motor just like ethanyl in gas-to much of ethanyl or methanyl in gas on very cold day,say goodbye to your pistons-in your car its a whole different ballgame(4 stroke) but in a sled(2 stroke)sorry just avoid it-Doesnt heet have a warning label saying dont use in two strokes????
Heet in the RED bottle contains iso and is safe for sleds. the label clearly says so. Heet in the YELLOW bottle is a no-no for two stroke engines.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Yellow bottle is called-HEET-contains methanyl

Red bottle is actually,if you want to get technical called-ISO HEET-contains isopropyl

Sorry for the confusion-but technically two different names-HEET and ISO HEET

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong guy's, but ive been told that the only one
that will actually get rid of water, is isopropel.
i was told along time ago that the others leave the water
still in the tank,.is that true????? :unsure:

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Rob i know you know and i know about the difference in heet-from reading your reports you know 10 times the stuff i know about snowmobiling,but i guess i wanted to clarify for someone who might not no the difference-hopefully i didnt sound like a jackass-scott frye-in all honestly im getting sick of visiting this website everyday-by the way you did an awesome job with it-why am i sick of it-because theres no damn snow in wisconsin,last year was terrible also-i dont want to type,i want to ride man-plain and simple snowmobiling for me is like an addiction-at 36 i would rather be riding then playing on this damn computer-and the main trail is less then a mile from my house-this sucks-i need snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
This one day near Rice Lake Wisconson My 1997 ZR 580 was running poorly. We go to a gas station / cat dealer and he told me to run ISO in it. So I put a bottle in and filled up. Away our group went. The rest of the day was a blast the sled performed the best It ever had. I was thinking I`ll run ISO all the time now. We were heading back to my dads friends house and the sled bogged lights dimmed and poof no power. IT BLEW UP.

I know it wasn`t the heet that did it but that was the first and last time I will run the stuff.

Unless I know for a fact that I got some water in the gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know what you mean.. By the looks of it, us eastern guys are going to have to invite you midwesterners out for a ride this winter! What do you think, want to come east to ride next month?

·
Administrator
20,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by rob@Dec 16 2002, 05:26 PM
I know what you mean.. By the looks of it, us eastern guys are going to have to invite you midwesterners out for a ride this winter!  What do you think, want to come east to ride next month?
PARTY AT ROB'S!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts