Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Doesn't play well with other
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it is !
It has an opperating range of -58 to 485 F and -50 to 250 C
Has a blue back light and also has a clock on it. Comes with all wiring and a threaded brass thermocouple. Can be wired direct in to the factory wiring or use the supplied 9 volt battery. The only issue I have with it right now is I have no idea on how to change the clock to 12 hour time, right now its reads in 24 hour (military or ER room time)
Its made by Shindy and ist available through your local Parts Unlimited Dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
It is the air temp, not the engine temp though, right ?

·
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by kodiakman76@Sep 14 2003, 09:30 PM
It is the air temp, not the engine temp though, right ?
Nope that is engine water temp

Flash and Flare

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
looks good!! Knowing my luck, i'd eat sh!t and bust it with my helmet 2nd ride out! How'd the install w/ the temp sensor go, and where'd ya put it?

·
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The install of the temp sender was pretty simple, I used the sending unit block that comes with AC guage kit, just got an adaptor and with a little teflon tape screwed it in.
I can't take any pic of it under the hood right now, its under construction *winks* I will when I got'er all back together. I had the sending unit block mounted on the hose that comes off the top of the head.
The blue back light it almost neon blue, not to bright, just perfect
Price on the guage alone is just over $100.00 if you have to pay retail. I will have to dig through my reciepts to see what the sending unit block cost from AC.
The clock comes in very handy.
Later.................Flash and Flare

·
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by old cat man@Sep 15 2003, 03:36 PM
Hey what about photos inside the engine compartment to see that part of the install? And cost?
OCM, I finally got'er back together so I snapped a photo of the sending unit like you asked.
The black square box is a AC part, thats what is used in the AC guage. Then I just got an adaptor (silver piece) so I was able to mount the actual sending unit (brass piece)

Flash and Flare

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hey Flash. I just wanted to let you know that you installed that temp sensor on the cold side of the cooling system. You will probably never see the water temp go over 105 - 110 F.

·
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used all last winter and saw temps well above 110 on a regualar basis. I also looked into instaling it on the lower coolent hose coming off the bottom of then engine but couldn't due to hose size and clearance issues
Flash and Flare

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Originally posted by Flash and Flare@Oct 19 2003, 07:42 PM
I used all last winter and saw temps well above 110 on a regualar basis. I also looked into instaling it on the lower coolent hose coming off the bottom of then engine but couldn't due to hose size and clearance issues
Flash and Flare
I installed my ac temp sensor on that hose coming from the bottom of the engine. I think its better to put it there, but boy what a pita.

·
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by F7_Ditch_Jumper+Oct 19 2003, 03:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Flash and Flare
@Oct 19 2003, 07:42 PM
Flash and Flare
I installed my ac temp sensor on that hose coming from the bottom of the engine. I think its better to put it there, but boy what a pita. [/b]
That sending unit was installed last season during the time everyone was stressin about the coolent system "burping", so I called my dealer and talked to him about it and he said bring it in. When I had it in I handed him the sending unit, and the AC block and asked him to mount it on the bottom hose. Well when I came back to pick up my sled from the burping I found that the AC block was mounted where it is now. He stated that it was inpractical to mount on the bottom of engine because of clearance issues and hose size.
I guess having it were its mounted now I know how well the exchangers are working and I know when the thermostat opens up and lets water to the rear exhangers.
Plus if it going to leak, I can see it. Would be awhile before I would notice it leaking if it was mounted on the bottom hose

Flash and Flare

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have you guys ever thought to just remove the factory sensor that goes right into the cylinder head that just puts the temp light on if its too hot and use that for your pick up insted of cutting the cooling house and putting that ugly adaptor in ..... just a thought
:firecats_rule:

·
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Flesh@Oct 19 2003, 06:55 PM
Have you guys ever thought to just remove the factory sensor that goes right into the cylinder head that just puts the temp light on if its too hot and use that for your pick up insted of cutting the cooling house and putting that ugly adaptor in ..... just a thought
:firecats_rule:
Ya that would probably work on a machine from the 80's or early 90's but AC's EFI unit depends on that temp source.
I believe that is why AC sells that "ugly" adaptor.
Flash and Flare

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
you could use that sensor on a carb model but not on an EFI. You might be able to "tap" that wire, but never tried.

·
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Flesh@Oct 19 2003, 07:00 PM
Ah very good point never thought of that :wacko:
Ya know, now that I think of it a little more. I don't know were that sensor is located on my F7. I rememeber it being on water housing right on top of the engine on my 98 ZR600 and on my 98 ZRE440
Will have to look in to that.
Flash and Flare

1 - 20 of 25 Posts