Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright well i just replaced the green slides with the black ones, got the carbs back on, dont think i am going to get to do the water pump this season, dont have enough time due to rebuilding the motor on my 98 500. i went over the pump, looks dry as a whistle, the sled only has 1600 miles on it, unless i find some extra time i dont know if i will be able to get to it. i also decided to pull the Ves out and clean them up, to my surprise they weren't that dirty, i basically just sprayed some carb cleaner and wiped with a rag and most of it came off.

now to my question. I separated the exhaust valves to just find a spring, though their would be more to it, but i guess not. i decided to peel back one of the rubber boot/diaphragm things and a bunch of dark oil came out? are the valves suppose to have oil inside them behind the rubber plunger thing??

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Thats normal on the inside off the bellow. The bellow is operated from the combustion process, so over time the unburned oil that gets pushd up there collects.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, clean the oil out. I would make time for the water pump. The only thing standing between you and a complete motor job is a red light that you hope works. Even if it works you have to see it in time and that still might be to late. The pump easy, pull the pipes, remove one hose slowly, use a shop vac to catch the coolant. Split the pump, check the internals and your done. If everything is good you can pop the bearing seals out and regrease the bearings. Well worth the time or even money spent if you pay to have it done. Even a mickey mouse fix on a cooked motor will cost way more money and down time. 1600 miles isn't much but 8 years is getting old. That's just what I think and would done if it were mine.

j.e.1975

·
Registered
675 Posts
You just pulled off the four bolts and have the back of the valve assembly. Use the allen key to pull the valve from the cyl, this is the side that gets build up.
From the polaris site, you can grab a PDF manual and see it exploded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts