Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel a bad feeling about the whole sledding thing now...when it will cost $60.00 to fill the tank and oil res. on my F-7...The reality is I won't ride it much. I am certain guys like Armand will suffer way worse than I will this winter.....You just know every item on the shelf at the supermarket just went up by 30 cents minimum...
The leaf peeper season just died...
Sking will grow as it requires little fuel...I guess..

How I hope to help my bottom line...besides running a 4 cyl car..canceling the cable.... and giving hugs at birthdays..
I am gonna start selling firewood. I expect to sell all I can do @ 200 for green wood. I happen to be sitting on 50 cords..
I am hatching a plan to go nuts with growing my own food in the form of pigs, laying hens, roaster chickens, and turkeys..I have a nice small garden producing a good amount of produce too.. My house was once a working farm and it will be again shortly.. :Wow1:

All of this means I will be working in one way or another 30 hours more a week than I do now...I need to lose a few pounds anyways I guess..lol.. :fluffy:

What are your thoughts please? :beerchug:

What are you gonna do? :drunk: :dunno:

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,328 Posts
Good question OT, but I think this gas situation will be a temporary thing. I imagine after the rescue efforts are completed and finding temporary shelter for all the homeless, getting the refineries back on line will be the priority, seeing on how it affects the whole country.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prices will go up but they seldom come down, and when they do...it won't be but a paltry amount..I think it's foolish to assume the prices (for anything) will drop a lot, hence my farming turn...

My bad, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, sleds, and hotrods will sell cheap, as will boats...Anyone wiyh a decent econocar just saw the value increase by 750 bucks over night.. And motorcycles will sell high this spring...

·
Registered
906 Posts
If gas prices continue to rise or even if they stay where they are, I for one will not be spending money to ride this winter like I have in the past. I may sell all but the one work sled I have. I just can't justify spending 50 bucks or more a day on gas to ride. Maybe others can, but not me.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more Oldtimer....

The proof is already here. This is the quietest boating season I have seen on Ossipee Lake in over ten years. The combination of gas prices and economic concerns had a drastic impact on the tourist season this summer, well before the hurricane and current gas price gouging!

I predict that the upcomimng weekend will be a bust, and an early indicator of a very quiet winter season fast approaching.

I will be sticking close to the CCC/OVSC trails, no trips to Canada or Maine this year. I will also be curtailing restaraunts, leaf peeping, and cutting back on non-essential things like the cable that you mentioned.....and also will be sledding a whole lot less this year!

By the way...on a sidebar.Have you looked at the want=ads in the local papers lately, or e-bay? People are trying to dump their Loudon NASCAR tickets for the upcoming race like I have never seen before....look for a lot of empty seats there in a few weeks, a combination of the economy and the stupid "race to the chase" fiasco.....

Hope I'm wrong, but living here so long, I have seen this before!

Skip

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Pol900@Sep 1 2005, 05:48 AM
Don't you think your starting to panic a little???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856301
[/quote]

Well.......

Last season, the OVSC lost no less than 100 membera to other clubs......

Why?

Because the other clubs were FIVE DOLLARS LESS TO JOIN !

I am just being realistic. :flush:

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Originally posted by SHORTFUSED900@Sep 1 2005, 05:28 AM

The proof is already here. This is the quietest boating season I have seen on Ossipee Lake in over ten years. The combination of gas prices and economic concerns had a drastic impact on the tourist season this summer, well before the hurricane and current gas price gouging!

I predict that the upcomimng weekend will be a bust, and an early indicator of a very quiet winter season fast approaching.

Skip
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856313
[/quote]

Labor day weekend across the country has fallen by the wayside unless you live close because of the kids being in school and school sports starting. we'll be up to Ossipee for probably our last weekend till snow flies since there won't be any water in the lake 10 days from now.

I do believe things will be effected this winter unless prices retreat because of what people will pay to heat their house. An extra $1000 year in fuel for your cars is $80/mo which most can afford to budget for somehow. But when you home heating cost goes up $1000 it's $250 a month which is hard for many. Hopefully they will get refinding capacity back online so we get back to $2.60 gallon and we get rid of the summer premium which is worth about another .15 cents. 2.45 doesn't look as bad now as it did 2 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Originally posted by oldtimer@Aug 31 2005, 09:25 PM
I feel a bad feeling about the whole sledding thing now...when it will cost $60.00 to fill the tank and oil res. on my F-7...The reality is I won't ride it much. I am certain guys like Armand will suffer way worse than I will this winter.....You just know every item on the shelf at the supermarket just went up by 30 cents minimum...
The leaf peeper season just died...
Sking will grow as it requires little fuel...I guess..

How I hope to help my bottom line...besides running a 4 cyl car..canceling the cable.... and giving hugs at birthdays..
I am gonna start selling firewood. I expect to sell all I can do @ 200 for green wood. I happen to be sitting on 50 cords..
I am hatching a plan to go nuts with growing my own food in the form of pigs, laying hens, roaster chickens, and turkeys..I have a nice small garden producing a good amount of produce too.. My house was once a working farm and it will be again shortly.. :Wow1:

All of this means I will be working in one way or another 30 hours more a week than I do now...I need to lose a few pounds anyways I guess..lol.. :fluffy:
OT
I appreciate you mentioning my impending poverty, but I have managed to survive through lots of ups and downs up here. Fortunately, a lot of my annual groups who have been coming up here are what we would call "affluent" and are not going to be affected much by this fuel insanity. My spontaneous, spur of the moment business, on the other hand will be affected dramatically on the down side. I am lucky that I operate without having "banks" involved so at least my fleet is paid for and although they dont taste too good I could "eat" them for a good long while. I am also feeling pretty good about having four of my new sleds being GSX 380's which may help some people afford to rent, that normally wouldn't. I know its blasphemy to suggest that a 380 is fun to drive in a website full of motor heads, but the simple truth is, they are. We are all economizing in our own ways and I think with a little ingenuity we can all survive quite nicely, especially in light of all the poeple, "pissin in the wind" down south. I am sure your perception of increased numbers in your area will be realized, and it amazes me that you and the local clubs are extending your efforts at exactly the right time to make sure that happens. I cant encourage you enough to somehow make sure that your local business stay very much aware that you guys are extending yourselves to make things better there, and that the biggest beneficiaries will be the local business community. The more you make them aware of that, the easier it will be to ask them to take a bigger role in financing the system in the future.
May the force be with us all!
pathfinder58 :cn:

What are you gonna do? :drunk:  :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856024
[/quote]

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I have been thinking about the rise in gas prices for a couple months now.
The entire country hinges on cheap gas, almost everyone will be effected.

Let's look at it this way, everything that goes up must come down. And Vise-versa.
The last few years have been great!

And the down turn can't and won't last forever.

Everyone will be just fine, ESPECIALLY guys like pathfinder who have strong minds. He will just have to find some other way to occupy his time :masterbate:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by SHORTFUSED900@Sep 1 2005, 05:28 AM

The proof is already here. This is the quietest boating season I have seen                             

The combination of gas prices and economic concerns had a drastic impact on the tourist season this summer, well before the hurricane and current gas price gouging!

the upcomimng weekend will be a bust, and an early indicator of a very quiet winter season fast approaching.

will be sledding a whole lot less this year!

Hope I'm wrong,

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856313
[/quote]

i agree with above statements, hardly sold any boats this season(never seen such poor season for boating in my entire life :Wow1: ),,here's hoping things turn around and soon!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
well one thing for me.... i will still be snowmobiling as much as i have the past few years... screw the price of gas.... its the only i enjoy doing!!! i work my ass off every summer to make sure i have enough money in the piggy bank so i can relax in the winter and enjoy the one thing i love to do!!! which is snowmobiling... and if u look it at the way i do... there not much we can do to change it so we are stuck were we are... there are thoose who will do and there are thoose that wont!!!

i will do and i will enjoy!!!

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
I think snowmobile tourism will be off this year as will all tourism in NH. It's not only the price of gas but heating oil also. I think there will be fewer people willing to keep heating there second homes for the 4 or 5 times that they get a chance to come up and enjoy there choice of recreation. :dunno:

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Originally posted by ckf@Sep 1 2005, 10:42 AM
I think snowmobile tourism will be off this year as will all tourism in NH. It's not only the price of gas but heating oil also. I think there will be fewer people willing to keep heating there second homes for the 4 or 5 times that they get a chance to come up and enjoy there choice of recreation. :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856684
[/quote]

i've been trying to decide what to do with my place, last year I heated it to 50 for the whole winter, this year I'm thinking I'll drain the lines and just turn on my crawl space heater to keep the pump house warm.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My father called me and gas at lords landing was $3.50 and he buzzed up the lake and gassed up at Westward for $2.58 still :dunno: Yes , the boat will be coming out this weekend a whole month and a half earlier than last, thanks to the early draw down. There will be no overnight sledding trips this year for me. If prices keep high all winter you might see me in the Ossipee area for maybe 5 day trips. It's just out of hand :banghead:

Shortfused, where on Ossipee are you?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Originally posted by NH_RED@Sep 1 2005, 05:49 PM
My father called me and gas at lords landing was $3.50 and he buzzed up the lake and gassed up at Westward for $2.58 still :dunno:  Yes , the boat will be coming out this weekend a whole month and a half earlier than last, thanks to the early draw down. There will be no overnight sledding trips this year for me. If prices keep high all winter you might see me in the Ossipee area for maybe 5 day trips. It's just out of hand :banghead:

Shortfused, where on Ossipee are you?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=857417
[/quote]
i was wondering what the price was going to be there. I guess I'll send my wife over in the am to fill the jet ski's at westward shores.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
I can see some of my day trips up north going away,hopefuly we get good local snow so it won't hurt so much.

I love to sled,it's my only real hobby i have,however,my family will be warm and fed before i go riding.

If that means no riding,so be it. :dunno:

·
Registered
288 Posts
:div20: Working as much OT as I can right now. Putting extra cash into the bank for fuel for the sleds. Prepaid for oil at $2.09 in June. I work all spring and summer to hunt & ride all winter. Spent less last year not enough good snow. Will make up for that this year and maybe less traffic on the W/E.

:i_need_snow: :i_need_snow: :i_need_snow:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a wood furnace in my house in addition to the oil boiler so I'm going to be looking for a lot of firewood this year. $200/cord seems a little steep for green wood. So far, I've been paying anywhere between $120-145/cord, but if my sources run dry, I'll keep you in mind.

As far as gas for sledding, we haven't seen the worst yet. I said it before and people here said I was full of BS, but I used to work for a big oil company, and my friends there are still telling me $7/gallon by January/February. They are geologists and tell me that even without Katrina, we'd be in the same shape. Since spring of this year, worldwide demand has exceeded production capacity by nearly a million barrels a day, and they say prices are going to keep going up until people stop using so much petroleum.

I may have to limit my sledding this year to Lily Pond runs and local cruises. I just hope we get good snow locally so I don't have to travel. I think I'll part out the RXL 650 Triple and try and find another 340 or 400 fan.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts