Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Diamond Drive unit has 2 gearsets. It combines a regular gearset with a planetary gearset. Planetary gearsets consist of a sun gear, a group of carrier gears (planet gears) and an outer ring with internal teeth. Every automatic transmission has at least one of these planetary gearset in it. The Ford model T actually had one of these in its steering column.

The first gearset is a straightforward 2-gear system that converts the secondary clutch rotation (CCW when viewed from the PTO side) to opposite rotation (CW). There may be a ratio other then 1:1 between these two gears… have not been able to figure that out. This opposite (CW) rotating gear is integral with the sun gear of the planetary gearset so that means the sun gear is rotating ClockWise also.

Consider the sun gear as the input to the planetary system. If the planet gears are held, the ring gear will rotate Counter ClockWise as the output, which is correct for the track drive shaft rotation for forward motion. There will also be an intermediate gearing reduction through this setup.

For reverse, the ring gear will be held and output will come from the planet carrier. Rotation of the carrier will be CW, which will be correct for reverse. There will a maximum gearing reduction with this setup.

The reverse system that A/C will provide will just include the bits and pieces to switch from holding the ring gear to holding the sun gears. It will include a system that connects the different output gears to the drive shaft.

BobCat

·
Registered
18 Posts
That sounds very encouraging Bob but when are the dealers going to tell the same story. I've been told by 2 that no reverse will be available.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reverse will be very simple to do. I can't imagine they don't have a plan.

BTW, my dealer said they will.... they just did not have time to fully develop it.

BobCat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Talked to my dealer again, he just got off the phone with his rep. He said no reverse will be available. Bob I hope you are right because I want to get a new sled.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bigred,

Now you got me curious. Are they saying no reverse ever or just this year?

I certainly don't want to spread bogus information. If done the way I have described, it looks simple to me.

I admit I don’t know for sure. Again, the dealer said eventually but that was also just a passing comment.

BobCat

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
For what it's worth my dealer got it on the hush, no reverse for 2004. Could be electric reverse for 2005. And if you think about it with Cat saving pounds everywhere it only makes sence to bite the big $ and buy into it just like DO and Polasses

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i ask if you think no reverse available then whye the helix with a forward and reverse style helix????? ;) i think someone is afraid to let the cat outta the bag <_<

1 - 8 of 8 Posts