Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DeWitt-Canastota-Erieville-Morrisville 2.19.20

Dropped on the Canal in DeWitt. The icy & thin snow on the new blacktop is a bit hairy with my machine. You will need the scratchers down. Especially in and out of Canastota on the C7B connector. Nothing but

ice & snirt. It got better the more south of NYS 5 and higher in elevation. Some wind swept spots in the fields with 2' powdery drifts. We did the S50 into Erieville and out of it. One miserable section that the regulars know in the brushy swamp between Swamp Rd & Gill Rd. It got me for a few minutes on the way back.

We were the first two sleds at the Blue Canoe (old Rosie's) on Tuscarora Lake. A group of 5-sleds crossed the lake to the Canoe. They said south to Georgetown was bumpy.

The pipeline was in very good condition with a few snirty spots. The hills in Fenner and around Morrisville have lots of snow.

I would avoid riding the canal unless you have to. Same with in & out of Canastota. Me and Pompey1 did around 77-miles in approx. 5-hours.

I may try for a few hours out of Parish Thursday morning before work.

Canal in Chittenango, hills in Fenner, rotten little water hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
i rode out that way e few years ago. great snow that year. i had intended a 3 day trip to ride the finger lakes but got cold feet. didn't want to lose my money if no snow. that week was to be this week. we could have ridden but we wanted the best conditions possible if we were burning vacation days. so tug hill it is!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hopefully we get the snow they're calling for tonight into tomorrow. Last Sunday my son and I rode the trail that run with Rt. 31 on the south shore of Oneida Lake (C7L, I think) from Cicero to the Rt. 31/13 intersection out by Sylvan/Verona Beach area and rode the lake back to Borio's.

We wanted to go farther south but weren't sure if they had much snow that way. Be nice to go down towards the Song Mountain/Tully/Preble area.

NYH1.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i rode out that way e few years ago. great snow that year. i had intended a 3 day trip to ride the finger lakes but got cold feet. didn't want to lose my money if no snow. that week was to be this week. we could have ridden but we wanted the best conditions possible if we were burning vacation days. so tug hill it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-vsJg38b2Y&list=UU_OBnhtZViBeWP1B8B6Tj7g&index=41
Nice vid , thanks for sharing. You have good video editing skills. Riding didn’t look too bad for NY

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Nice vid , thanks for sharing. You have good video editing skills. Riding didn’t look too bad for NY
we have some kick-ass riding in ny. just have to know where it is and when to hit it. went to tug hill today, rolled out 160 miles in 5 hours. i'll put a video of that up soon. this is from saturday

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Richfield Springs to Morrisville area (Bridgewater, Clayville, brookfield, Waterville, saquoit) 8-10 miles north of there and 15-20 miles south...pretty wide band of darn nice snow and the clubs are doing a Great job.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
we have some kick-ass riding in ny. just have to know where it is and when to hit it. went to tug hill today, rolled out 160 miles in 5 hours. i'll put a video of that up soon. this is from saturday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkImN5fdbfA
Very nice... you can roll the miles when you are solo or with 1-2-3 others any more than that and it becomes a cluster.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Very nice... you can roll the miles when you are solo or with 1-2-3 others any more than that and it becomes a cluster.
for sure. and really, how many dependable riders do you know? i have weeded out many and have a select few left. some of the good ones got out, and would be welcome back anytime. usually 2 of us , but yesterday a third. one of my friends i met through mountain biking over 20 years ago. he is ready for action and you won't be waiting for him. lucky he only has a 600 , or he would be dusting us. i told him i need the 800 to fend him off. the stories i tell now about all those follies back in the day is funny. but it sucked when you were getting held back by knuckleheads

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
for sure. and really, how many dependable riders do you know? i have weeded out many and have a select few left. some of the good ones got out, and would be welcome back anytime. usually 2 of us , but yesterday a third. one of my friends i met through mountain biking over 20 years ago. he is ready for action and you won't be waiting for him. lucky he only has a 600 , or he would be dusting us. i told him i need the 800 to fend him off. the stories i tell now about all those follies back in the day is funny. but it sucked when you were getting held back by knuckleheads
I have 4-6 people that I would ride with without reservation. These are long time friends who I would trust with my life if the situation arose.
Luckily one is my wife. There are few outside of that group.
The worst is setting up a ride with someone who is a good rider and they show up with a couple friends who are stooges or newer riders.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
a couple years ago i went with one of my childhood friends and another who i knew and could be a nightmare. sure enough , we are going to the hill for some brisk paced riding. they some how gained 2 others i didn't know . one backs out a 2003 rev 800, the other a 500 venture 4 stoke. i looked at my buddy like wtf? so we head out, do a lot of waiting for the venture. and the rev has a hanging idle. i told him he better check carb boots but he didn't bother. before long it won't start easy, then the rope pulls out and it's clutch time. in the end we told the ass with the rev to just leave it running. he shut it off. never ran again that night. yeah, now it's night time. so we are at the end of the railbed, at north-south. finally the venture came in to it's element. tow truck. went to get the ass's trailer and truck, got back and he never gave them the keys. i left , it was 10pm, they left at midnight , blew a tire on the thruway, and the ass never got out to help them. i tried to take a short cut around flatrock but maple ridge was closed. we ended up back and he was complaining about riding in circles, hence the name of my video...the guy doing the pulling has a new sled, the ass just waited for someone else to do it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts