Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A low and wide tank is an inherently poor design. When the tank is less than 1/2 full, and you're either cornering hard to the left, or sidehilling to the left, the oil can run away from the fitting that connects to the oil pump hose. This results in bubbles forming in the oil line. Under most circumstances the oil will slosh back over to the fitting before the line will run dry, but a simple series of baffles molded into the tank, or a more upright tank with a narrower bottom and a centrally located fitting would be much better.

I realize that mass centralization and integrated components were a design goal of the F chassis, but I don't think the design of the oil tank was very well thought out.

When I come a stop on my F7, I intentionally try to find a spot that will tip the sled to left a bit, with the front end pointed slightly downhill. That's so the bubbles in the oil supply line will burp back into the tank. I'm aware of the flaw in the tank's design and I accomodate it. I just wish I didn't have to think about such silly stuff while I'm out having fun.

Please view this as constructive criticism , since that's what it is.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would also like to make an oil tank related suggestion. In my opinion the threads on the tank and the oil cap could use some improvement. My oil cap is extremely difficult to get screwed back on securely. Neither the threads on the cap or the tank are damaged in any way, but it takes about 4-5 tries to get the cap on well enough so I am not worried that it will pop off. Then after a couple hundred miles, it takes all of my strength just to get the cap back off (and I'm 6'4", 235lbs). I'm just offering a freindly suggestion...It certainly doesn't affect my positive view of the F7 in any way. Thank You.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Also, move the tank opening to a differant spot besides directly over the brake caliper

·
Registered
174 Posts
Agreed. Frankley, to buy a sled in 2003 that is a NEW design, I should NOT have to look at a flashing oil light when I have 90 to 130 miles on a fresh tank of oil. This happens when cornering hard and accelerating. It would be nice to have included the $3.00 spark plug holder also. I see the need for cat to build a oil caddy so I can dump in a quart of oil to "fix" my problem. I am baffled at these simple defects that should have been caught by your engineering and R&D team. I'd be "eliminating" a position down there at CAT if I ran things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts