Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you folks tried the Delorme Topo 7.0 software with the Garmin GPS units? It looks more full-featured than the Garmin MapSource software. I think the 60CSx is NEMA-compliant but I'm curious if you wouldn't be able to use certain features in the software.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Have any of you folks tried the Delorme Topo 7.0 software with the Garmin GPS units? It looks more full-featured than the Garmin MapSource software. I think the 60CSx is NEMA-compliant but I'm curious if you wouldn't be able to use certain features in the software.[/b]
Delorme Topo and Mapsource Topo are two very different things. Delorme Topo will display on your computer screen but you can only draw tracks and waypoints on it and copy those to your GPS. The actual maps don't show up on the GPS, so you'll just see the very basic basemap with tracks on top of it. With Mapsource, you can load the actual maps (topo lines, rivers, creeks, wetlands, etc.) onto your GPS, in addition to tracks and waypoints. When companies like DeLorme and National Geographic (with their Topo map package) say they're GPS compatible, it's a bit misleading. Go with Garmin's Topo or City Navigator. Don't bother with DeLorme unless you want to only have the maps on your computer or print them. For GPS use, it's not very useful.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have any of you folks tried the Delorme Topo 7.0 software with the Garmin GPS units? It looks more full-featured than the Garmin MapSource software. I think the 60CSx is NEMA-compliant but I'm curious if you wouldn't be able to use certain features in the software.[/b]
Sledzeppelin is correct in that the DeLorme software will not work well with the Garmin unit as you can't transfer the maps. I don't believe any gps companies have fuctionality to transfer map info to another companies gps units. But the DeLorme Topo software is excellent. I think they have the best maps available. I use their software and GPS (earthmate PN-20). The PN-20 is comparable to the 60CSx.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts