Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any experienced a loss of power due to snow plugging the air intake on the hood? If so what have you done to keep the snow from restricting airflow to the motor? We noticed this both on the F5 and the F7 this past weekend in deep snow conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
I bought some screen material and plan on using velcro to attach it over the vents. I am hopeing that at least when the hood gets covered with snow I can wipe it off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had same problem in Laramie, WY last weekend. I'm running 4 D&D Bullseye
air intakes. They seem to offer supplemental air intake, so when the cowl was partially
blocked, the bullseyes kept her breathing with no bogging. Note: I'm running a bra
over the nose vents, which kept ALL snow out from engine compartment.

My next step will be to place some mesh prefilter material along cowl openings.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You could try the bra for the firecat and some better skis that gave you more flotation like the powder pros Rob tested..

Loved the pic, Deep snow. I sure miss that stufff :(

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I hit a snow drift in the U.P that I should have tested going down first. It was so deep I was burried. My F-7 almost died for a second when it lost breathing capability, but then roared to life and was fine. It did just what A.C. said it would. All the snow fell right out. Very pleased with it. Love the sled, love the powder.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I would find some of the foam prefilter and cut it too fit. I might velcro it if it doesn't stay on its own. I would do it on my f7 if i had any powder to test it on, oh wait a minute, if i had any snow at all it would be nice.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I noticed a lot of snow gets packed under the beak of the sled, the bar will nto fix that but will keep snow out of the engien compartment. I think on the sides on the beak there should be some other foam or gills or somthing to keep the snow from packign under the beak, it gets hard in there and you cant get your hand in ll the way to get it out, and its not like we have a shop vac in out sled to suck or blow it out! :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
The problem is the snow goes under the beek and cant fall out. I`m going to get a screen made the straches over the AFI and The slope of the hood should be enuff where the snow just slides off.

The guys that think the Front little slots provide the airforce induction, they dont, the air goes it under the bubble on the hood. Put your hand under there and feel its a very silky screen that lets air thru but not water.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
 feel its a very silky screen that lets air thru but not water.[/b]
It does let water go through it. I put it under the facet and the water went right throught the screen. I think small amounts of water would have a difficulty passing through it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I noticed a tour guide w/ a 03 sno pro 440 w/ duct tape over a the hood holes in Kingfield Me. last W.End. Apparently he rides of trail quite a bit in pow, pow but it still bugged me out a bit. Did'nt get a chance to talk to him but will be riding w/ him this Sat and will get the skinny.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yeah - It does let water thru if its streaming.

Its just like the prefilter boots you can get for K&N airfilters. Will shed water droplets and splashes but not streams.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts