Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
1,059 Posts
Back when they first started computerizing everything, the bank I worked for had a customer that sent in his third car payment with the payment coupon for the 48th (last) payment. Computer program sent him the lien release since it was triggered by the final payment coupon being received. He was an honest guy and came in and explained the situation.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I just got stroked by one in norther Michigan. Mine was a service department issue.

Reactions: Al Czervik

·
Premium Member
22,039 Posts
Bank of the seller that I was dealing with was local. But it was a branch office, and apparently they can’t do thing anymore. I know 15 years ago I went in there, made the last three payments on a dodge that I wanted to trade cleanly on a new Ford, and they printed me a lien release right then and there. Same bank building. Can’t do it anymore.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is just a good lesson and reminder to all of us not to buy anything unless they hand you the title when you hand them the payment. If not, you'd better be darn sure that you are ready to take the risk. Usually the best deals are because there is something shady going on.

That said, my 2-place trailer is unregistered because the guy couldn't produce the paperwork. I took the risk, which I think is minimal in this state.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This is just a good lesson and reminder to all of us not to buy anything unless they hand you the title when you hand them the payment. If not, you'd better be darn sure that you are ready to take the risk. Usually the best deals are because there is something shady going on.

That said, my 2-place trailer is unregistered because the guy couldn't produce the paperwork. I took the risk, which I think is minimal in this state.
Generally in Michigan when buying from a dealer they collect the sales tax and handle the paperwork with the state…easy peasy. This is the first time I’ve had an issue but all good now.👍🏼

·
Registered
48,438 Posts

I had the same issue when i bought this used trailer. Took me months to get everything ironed out. Sitting at the dmv with finally all the paperwork for hrs was painful enough having to come back the next day due to closing time.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts

In WI nothing under 3000 lbs needs to be registered so most people dont even have titles for any small trailers.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

I think seven states still don't title power sports. Mass only titles boat's over 14 feet, everything else is bill of sale. A certificate of origin isn't transferred to a title.

You could buy and sell a recreational vehicle with a lien on it and nothing is reported

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
1,059 Posts
In NY the registration for a sled is the title. If there is a loan on the sled it is filed as a UCC lien. Had a friend who got stung one time when he took a used sled to the dealer for service and they said they couldn’t return it to him because the loan was never paid off.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts