Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used sled from a dealer here in Michigan in April 2nd and was issued temporary registration for 15 days which gives them time to do the paperwork with the state and have my new registration mailed to me. 2 months later and no tags and their excuses are getting old and the worst part is that when they sold me the sled they didn鈥檛 have the lien release in hand from the previous owner which I found out well after the fact鈥t what point do I stop being patient and take action against the dealer? I think what they did is illegal.馃し馃徎

Registered
2020 Polaris xc 800
I see it in my industry all the time...the clowns that are so busy they can't be bothered with a little courtesy are the ones that starve when the economy turns....I would write an email to the owner or GM and explain how it could of been handled better, hopefully they can use it as a training session with the people that represent them to the public. You're not being a Karen with this email...you're an educator.

SkisNH

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would the stickers and registration have been mailed to the dealer?
Yes and they are there now and they will send them to me. The issue is that I bought the sled on April 2nd and unbeknownst to me they didn鈥檛 have the release of lien from the previous owner in hand so they couldn鈥檛 file the paperwork with the state.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes stuff like that happens. Dealer should of kept you up to date on the matter.
Here鈥檚 the thing鈥s a private seller I can鈥檛 sell a sled to another person without having the lien released and the registration signed by whoever held the lien. Stuff like this shouldn鈥檛 happen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took me 4 months a few years ago. Sled was an out-of-state trade-in which added some time, or so they said. For other reasons since then my shadow will never darken that dealer's door again.
My exact thoughts about this dealer鈥t least my Polaris dealer is top notch.馃憤馃徏馃嚭馃嚫

Registered
Here鈥檚 the thing鈥s a private seller I can鈥檛 sell a sled to another person without having the lien released and the registration signed by whoever held the lien. Stuff like this shouldn鈥檛 happen.
Unfortunately they can. Probably beyond the dealers control. Surprise when you bought the sled this dealer wasn't upfront telling you for whatever reason that with a lien this could take some time.

Premium Member
Bought my daughter a used car off the side of the road last year, owner had finished paying it off two months earlier. She had an old school payment book and showed me the slips and the receipts for her check to the bank where she had made the last payment, but she had not yet received a lien release. I paid her for the vehicle and took it because I wanted it, then she struggled with her bank, a local bank that I also do business with, for over two months Trying to get a lean release. I know in the past that I was able to
walk into the bank and get one when you pay something off, apparently that is not always the case. This branch location could not issue one, it had to come from the mothership, which was out of state -and not very cooperative.

Premium Member
The woman I bought my daughters car off of was about 75, if not 80 years old. She went to the bank the next day after I paid her for the car, expecting that they would print her out a lien release. She called me from the bank all upset that they would not do it. They told her it would be a week, then a few weeks, then a few more weeks, I didn鈥檛 want to bother her, so I was calling about every other Friday. I even tried calling the bank since I do business with them at another branch, they wouldn鈥檛 talk to me. Two months later I got it.
The lady at the bank actually told me I could go ahead and register it in my name if I wanted, and the new title would come still showing the lien on it from -her bank-. I had a used car guy tell me the same thing. I said yeah, that鈥檚 probably not gonna happen. (But it sounds like a thing that people do!, I had no idea)

Registered
It took 6 months and 6 days to get my snowmobile registration. Dealer was nice and friendly. Filed everything online with the dnr right in front of me. Was told that's how it's done now. 3+ months later I get a call from dnr that they don't have the docs. Informed at that time that since they're having server issues that everyone needs to file online AND mail in or walk in all hard copy paperwork.

Took alot of back and forth and they finally agreed to let me email them copies. And presto, 6 short months later I had my stickers & reg. This was with no lien.

Your (ex) dealer should have at the very least apologized and offered to overnight the paperwork that should have been mailed to you in the first place. I don't currently ride Cat but we do have a great dealer around that I'll definitely be going to if I ever get one.

This sounds like it's been a shit show since day one for you. They misrepresented from the get go and then strung you along. Not the end of the world but I personally would avoid as I'm sure you will. Probably expect you to drive over there and pick it up too.

Registered
2020 XCR 850
Weren't computers and the internet supposed to make things easier and faster? Lol.

Glad you got it straightened away. Definitely sounds like a dealer to avoid although it could just be one bad apple spoiling the basket.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It took 6 months and 6 days to get my snowmobile registration. Dealer was nice and friendly. Filed everything online with the dnr right in front of me. Was told that's how it's done now. 3+ months later I get a call from dnr that they don't have the docs. Informed at that time that since they're having server issues that everyone needs to file online AND mail in or walk in all hard copy paperwork.

Took alot of back and forth and they finally agreed to let me email them copies. And presto, 6 short months later I had my stickers & reg. This was with no lien.

Your (ex) dealer should have at the very least apologized and offered to overnight the paperwork that should have been mailed to you in the first place. I don't currently ride Cat but we do have a great dealer around that I'll definitely be going to if I ever get one.

This sounds like it's been a shit show since day one for you. They misrepresented from the get go and then strung you along. Not the end of the world but I personally would avoid as I'm sure you will. Probably expect you to drive over there and pick it up too.
Definitely not the end of the world and the condition of the sled was the first thing but at the end of the day that鈥檚 on me for trusting the salesman and assuming that a low mile locally owned by a doctor sled with low miles would be clean and well cared for. 馃し馃徎
The registration thing is annoying and a first for
me but they are mailing it to me so all good now.

Registered
Definitely not the end of the world and the condition of the sled was the first thing but at the end of the day that鈥檚 on me for trusting the salesman and assuming that a low mile locally owned by a doctor sled with low miles would be clean and well cared for. 馃し馃徎
The registration thing is annoying and a first for
me but they are mailing it to me so all good now.
I hope you have better luck with the sled than i did buying a boat that a doctor owned that was suppose to be well maintained. Lucky at least it floated.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts