Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a F7 that I took out riding to the trails this weekend. Got .5 miles down the road and it died. Thought it ran out of gas Got towed to the gas station and filled it up with gas, tried to pull it over and it won't start. Pulled the plugs and put in fogging oil (my dealer suggested this), sled would start up right away, then just before it would die, it would make a "high pitch weazzing" sound from the gas tank and then die. We tried everything to get the gas from the tank to the injectors and nothing is working.
We also looked at the screens in the intake of the gas line (inside the tank) and they are fine. There is no gas getting from the gas tank to the injectors. We pulled the fuel line in the engine and there is no gas inside it at all. We even filled that with gas, reconnected it, and tried to start it with fogging oil, it would start, run for 5 seconds and then die. Anyone have any suggestions before taking it to the dealer? Bottom line is that no fuel is coming from the tank to the injectors.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I ran into a deal like yours, and the problem was the holes were not drilled in the smart valve in the fuel tank! NO fuel and a loud pump noise!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the sled running on a jackstand many times before I took it out to the trail. Everytime I started it and ran it, it worked fine. Now it won't even start at all!!! I checked the spark plugs and they are fine; plenty of spark. The sled won't turn over at all. Any thoughts??? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check that already, and there is no kink in the line. Could it be the fuel pump? Could it have "burned up"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure your smart value is not calaps in. IT should be springey, if it is in remove it from the fuel line to release presure. Smart value should spring all the way up. reinstall .

·
Registered
1 Posts
heard of problem, that there is a check valve on bottom of fuel pump(inside of tank)that you have to unscrew bottom & manually pull out check valve. (after you ran out of fuel) hope this helps

·
Registered
205 Posts
It sounds like it is a venting problem, as someone mentioned before. Have you tried starting it with the gas cap off?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took it back to the dealer today. You would never believe what happened. The stupid thing started up on the 3rd pull. Ran it on a jackstand for a couple of minutes and then ran a diagonistics on it and everything came up fine. The only thing that they said is that there maybe a faulty fuel pump on it. SInce the EFI has an electronic pump, unlike the carbs, that could have been the problem. They have ordered a new one and are going to pull out the original. As stated earlier, we tried everything and it would not start. All the suggestions that people wrote in, we tried them ALL and nothing worked. I have NO CLUE on whay it started this morning. I will keep all posted on what they find when they pull the old pump out and replace it with a new one.

S

·
0 Posts
just fyi, fogging oil will cause your engine to stall out. It is intended for summer time storage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Swanny80@Dec 9 2002, 05:49 PM
I took it back to the dealer today. You would never believe what happened. The stupid thing started up on the 3rd pull. Ran it on a jackstand for a couple of minutes and then ran a diagonistics on it and everything came up fine. The only thing that they said is that there maybe a faulty fuel pump on it. SInce the EFI has an electronic pump, unlike the carbs, that could have been the problem. They have ordered a new one and are going to pull out the original. As stated earlier, we tried everything and it would not start. All the suggestions that people wrote in, we tried them ALL and nothing worked. I have NO CLUE on whay it started this morning. I will keep all posted on what they find when they pull the old pump out and replace it with a new one.
had you tried removing the yellow wire from the temp sensor?
tell the truth now :ph34r: :p

·
Registered
289 Posts
I ran my Black Saberat F7 Snopro out of fuel and man it was a pain. I must have pulled it over 4,000,000 times. I primed, through the plug holes (real tricky access) I think I primed and had it running for the 5 second interval a total of 10 or 12 time. Then she fired up (day two) and has been good ever since. Pulling the line to the fuel rail could cause an air lock and that is what I thought happened to mine as my ZR only takes 2 primes to get her running. I could see where the fuel was on the ZR as the lines are clear and the air was easy to remove. (unlike the fuelie F7)
I heard the same whirring sound from the fuel pump on my F7 only once or twice and was wondering about the two pull theory of operation. You know one pull to charge the system and the second pull starts the sled. This led me to believe the fuel pump will not engage after the second pull as the sled thinks it has fuel charged to the injectors. Thus all the priming and pulling to overcome removing the fuel line with no assist from the pump.
Please keep uz posted as I am a little more than curious as to the final fix.
The true answer to the puzzle is not running out of fuel.
I know I have learned this as it took mega time to get her running, thank the lord i was at home at the time and not out on the trail or my Fircat might have learned the feeling of Cat on fire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Funny I had the same problem with my F7. I had the sled running on idle to warm up for a good 5 minutes when it started to rev up on it's own then stalled. I tried to get it started but it wouldnt even try. Brought it to the dealer and we had good spark but no fuel. Removed the fuel line in tank and checked for kink. We removed the fuel line (from injectors)and pulled the sled over but nothing came out. We put battery directly to the fuel pump connector and it shot out fuel strong. Reconnected the fuel line and fuel pump connector and it pulled over fine and ran great. Dealer suspects a clog in the fuel pump and the battery had more juice to push it out. Rode sled for about 4 miles with no other problems.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Next time try disconnecting the connection to the fuel pump and hook up a 12v battery .
This will make the fuel pump work and should prime the system . I do know of a few F7'S
that had fuel pumps jammed up .
Once freed , they never caused any more trouble .

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
next time it does it, open the gas cap & light a match. Let it burn. that will fix your problem. Actually reach inside & wiggle the fuel pump or tap it. It is probably a bad pump. :ph34r:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got it back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the fuel pump. When they looked at the original, it looked fine. They did notice some "orange-rusty" shit in the tank, and cleaned it out. I have no clue on how that got into the tank. I'm blaming poor quality control checking on Arctic Cat, since I know it could not have come from the 1 gas pump we used. I was the last one out of 4 who filled up! BEsides when they looked at the screen insdie of the fuel pump it was not clogged with anything.

Anyways, once the new fuel pump was on, the sled fired up right away. I asked, if the sled somehow "majically" runs out of gas, is this what to expect everytime. The mechanic, said that when they get in a new sled frim AC, it has NO gas inside of it, they fill it with ~1 gallon of gas, pull it 7-9 times and then it fires right up, with no problems. Same should hold true, if you run out of gas. Plus I had more than .5 gallon left in the tank (12.5 gallon tank total, 11.4 usable, put in 11.11 gallons at the gas station) so he thought that when it died it wasn't out of gas. Anyways, they have no reason for the problem, only thing that they could think that there was something clogging the fuel pump, or it was a short in the pump. I'll see if this works in the next couple of weeks. Put .4 miles on it at the dealership and it seem fine. The stupid sled has more miles on the jack stand then on the trails, what is up with that?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts