Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this from another site this morning.
i just makes me sick!!
thank god there are a lot of good
snowmobilers out there.

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) – An amateur dogsledder who was run over by a snowmobiler and left for dead on a New Hampshire trail last month says his mushing days may be over.

Stephen Hessert has been hospitalized since the accident and has titanium rods inserted in both legs. It will be another month before his legs can bear weight, and full recovery is four to five months away.

But even if he fully recovers physically, Hessert doesn’t know if he’ll go back to dogsledding, something he has done for nearly three decades. He said the growing number of snowmobiles, and fast ones at that, have made trails increasingly dangerous.

“Physically, I’ll be able to go back, but I have concerns about the safety of training,” Hessert said. “It’s really a problem. No matter what I do, no matter how careful I am, it still doesn’t matter.”

Hessert, 51, is a workers’ compensation defense attorney with the Portland firm of Norman Hanson & DeTroy. But his passion is dogsledding, and he owns 20 huskies on his 100-acre farm in Cumberland.

On Feb. 15, he was in northern New Hampshire for a workout in preparation for the 250-mile Can Am Crown dogsled race. He had already mushed about 50 miles when heard the high-pitched whine of a snowmobile behind him.

Even though his 22-inch-wide sled was hugging the side of a 15-foot-wide trail, the snowmobiler ran over him “like an explosion” and broke both his legs. The driver didn’t stop, leaving Hessert in temperatures of minus 15 with the sun set to go down in half an hour.

When Hessert came to, he realized he couldn’t move his legs. But he had a duffel bag full of emergency supplies, including a sleeping bag rated to 30 below zero.

In intense pain, he dragged himself to his sled and somehow managed to get the sleeping bag out of his sack. He picked up his mangled legs with his hands and stuffed them into the sleeping bag, one at a time.

“I thought about my wife and kids,” Hessert said from his hospital bed. “My sons are in college, and I was thinking they would probably be all right without me. At the same time, I thought if I can keep my mind focused, I’ll be all right.”

It was a snowmobiler who nearly killed Hessert, and it was a snowmobiler who came to his rescue.

Within an hour, a snowmobiler came upon Hessert and went and got help. Soon a team of snowmobilers dragged him in his sled toward Berlin, N.H.

The snowmobiler who hit Hessert hasn’t been located, and the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department continues to investigate.

A reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the responsible snowmobile operator now exceeds $10,000.

Hessert said he sometimes wonders about the rider who ran him down.

“He didn’t care if I died or not,” he said.

·
Registered
416 Posts
This gets my blood boiling! No excuse for this shit! If I had seen this , I would have kick the shit out of the guy(sledder) and fed him to the dogs!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I saw that story when it happened. I was pissed. You know the sledder was drunk. He had to be to do such a terrible thing. There have been many near misses in Maine with dog sledders and cross country skiers. I can't tell you how many times I have come over a rise only to see x country skiiers across the trail. They usually have their dogs too. Most trails are marked "Snowmobile use Only" but you always have to be aware. Some trails are posted Xcountry sledders use this trail or multi use trail next 3 or 5 miles. When they have dog sledding races they close certain trails to snowmobiles. My thoughts and prayers go out to this dedicated musher.

·
Registered
245 Posts
From What I know about this from another site, they might have this guy soon. It seems to be a mid-20's guy from Berlin NH. I hear he is a REAL PROBLEM, and to top it off, I understand it may have been a Borrowed sled, that he was riding (Drunk? I hear) and to top it off, he may have even just lost his Liscence for a DWI.

Again, this is what I read from another site, wheere a member knows this guy. It is unconfrrmed (police are invovled - need to be sure first)

But, the BEST PART IS HIS GIRLFRIEND MAY HAVE TURNED HIM IN. There was some question about what happened to the sled, and the shop started to ask questions to the GF and tehy put 2 + 2 toether.

I am following this closely. I ride that area ALOT, and am wondering WHAT THE F** Happened. That is not right. What a COMPLETE LOOSER.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
i spoke with his freinds at the snodeo at coleman state park and donated 5 bucks in the donation can for his cause . i guess fish and game are not giving up on this one till its done, the reward is over 15 grand now for info leading to his arrest. the dog sledder guy said he holds no grudges against snowmobilers in general and knows that it only is one bad apple out of a milion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a sad story. It is always the few bad apples that spoil the whole bunch. This guy should do time for atempted murder. :angry:

·
Registered
827 Posts
hang the piece of shit,

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
As a snowmobiler, is there a fund we can contribute to??

·
Registered
55 Posts
send that guy out 50 miles, take a sledgehammer to his legs, let him work his way back..... We don't need people like that in this world, let alone in this sport. :angry:
Or we could strap a bomb to him and send him to Iraq and find Saddam........BOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,201 Posts
Originally posted by avrg.joe@Mar 3 2003, 11:46 PM
As a snowmobiler, is there a fund we can contribute to??
This is a good idea. As snowmobilers we have to start getting vocal with inconsiderate, intoxicated, and just plain inept riders when we see something and know it's not right action has to be taken there are just too many senseless accidents. If you see someone riding or parked on the wrong side of trail say something most of these shit for brains don't even realize there doing something wrong. As far as the drunks go let the bartender know the person is riding and needs a ride home and if they don't care there's always a call too the law as a last resort, this might sound harsh but the life you save may be your own or that of a loved one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would have to say this has been the year of crazy drivers...I havent seen it this bad in along time...Every single kid out there is going extremly fast...and yeah I'm all for the fast too..but wait till you know its safe....and dont drink and drive...... :p

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
not sure about how to donate, like i said i put 5 bucks in the donation can on the table..........ill see if i can find out more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts