Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 F7 with the D&D clutch kit and the light pipe my sled will hit 90mph but it takes along time for it to go past that everything has been cleaned and my rpms are at 7800 to 8000 plus my buddies stock F7 can stay 1/2 sled length behind me I feel that I should be faster with the kit do I need to adjust something?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What hole do u have spring in on the primary? it should pull all the way or do u feel it shift out ? if so you need to move spring to different hole

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Back in 03 we had a D&D kit in an 03F7, that was until we realized it was faster with stock clutching. I've never quite understood why it didn't work well, we under rev'd though and spring hole changes never made it better. What did make it better was a Dakota Performance clutch kit! No exaggeration when I say It gained 5-7 sled lengths in 1500ft with consistant 117-119mph on the speedo in long pulls.
If you want to play with the D&D kit, before you do anything weigh the weights. Our weights were all off by a gram, 62,63 and 64, we ground the weights all down to 62 to match the lightest one, helped a tad, but still wasn't right.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Check the helix, if it is a DDAST then find something else, best place for this helix is on the shelf collecting dust. The D&D light pipe only likes to run at 7750 to 7800RPM max past that, sled will fall on it face. Now if you have the D&D y-pipe with the light pipe then 7850RPM max, the y-pipe added to the original d&d light pipe brings the pipe to life (espically in the low-mid range). If kit is D&D then the secondary spring should be gray (4th hole going from left to right) but the stock red/white stripe works fine also. The big dogs should be 63 grams and primary should be the D&D yellow (engages around 3800rpm's).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
the spring is in the middle hole and it is a snopro track[/b]
Try the second hole,and see if it pulls better do u feel it shift or not? and what weights do u have in the 55.5 grams or what do u know ,that will help, the sno-pro will no be as fast unless u go with the 1inch track.A timing key will help also.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I can feel it shift out and it has good back shift I think it came with 70gram big dog notched weights I will have double check[/b]
as long as it does not feel boggy when it shifts you should hardly feel the shift. if u do go to second hole and try that. but as said sno-pro will be a little slower because of track.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are ya sure it's the clutching? I only ask because I had the same sled and it would barely tickle 90. (It was a stock EFI). I was told that there was a different chip from the factory for that year/sled that was supposed to give it more top-end. Unfortunately, I sold the sled before having the update done but I would take a look at that option as well. A few of the guys who called on my sled when it was for sale asked if I had had the update done so I'm sure it was a common problem back then. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Every one has told me to run at 7800-7900 rpms, my sled realy wakes up when I run the RPM's to 8150. I have the ODS clutch kit in my sno-pro, seems to work great. Also my sled will act different from day to day weather conditions, thats something to keep in mind also. I can run up to 90-95 MPH real quick then from there to about 106 is a lot slower. The fasest I have seen on the speedo is 110 on real COOOLD... day out on a lightly snow covered lake. You have to keep in mind that one inch track is going to be faster and quicker than the 1.38" lug track. If you ride off trail or trail ride with lots of loose snow your going to be the quicker and faster one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok what I did when I got home I put the spring in the 2nd hole and put a new belt on and it made a difference I can hit 95 real quick then it took alittle bit to get to 100 I think I will be happy with that

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My friend has the exact same sled as you and had the same setup as you and it didn;t work that good either. The stock setup was faster. He since put on a black magic pipe and clutching and now that f7 is fast!! Black magic simply works. I have my f6 set up by black magic also and it made a big time improvement.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I took everything out and put stock clutching back in my sled and it still over revs up to 8600 or more I left the light pipe on what in the heck is going on here could my speedo/tack be wrong? damnit I'm getting MAD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts