Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting differnt awnsers. Not trying to put anybody down, but I talked to Dan in person he said go with the monster single & y pipe & boondocker, which I am liking for trails & the little racing I do, but another guy says pipe mod, y pipe is the way to go, & another says twins with box , which I would do if I run the twins into stock can cause I dont want loud, they havnt tested this set up enough yet, but dynoed good. I really want a single cause gas is to high dont want to be feeding the twins. My sled is ported, & head cut, & fuel regulated & jet in line 03 f-7, I also see chicken is ported & runs his at 40 psi wow I run mine @ 48 psi, but it always sucked in the mid range, but bmp says port work will need more psi. Dont feel like wasting another $800.00 dollars. :dunno: How many of you are in my shoes?? :cn:

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I would say do the pipe mod with the y pipe....its cheapest.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
2 deg key y pipe and a pac is really a good bang for the buck . you can probably get mid 140's pretty easy and it wont be finicky . the twins will make more power........closer to 160 but you will need to keep up on them with the clutching so it will run it's best at all times ....otherwise a stock single will be breathing down your neck . the monster single will fall some where in between these 2 setups and will also require some clutch tuning . the bmp mod and the y pipe don't seem to work real good together from what i have seen i think dyno jim said the mod didn't show any gain so i guess that won't be real hard to clutch tune if you decide to go that route . let us know how you make out -dave :div20:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont care about finicky I can clutch, how will the gas be with the twins ? how are the twins liking the stock can or arnt they thanks.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would go with the twins into the stock can,Bmp did mine and it worked great!!!
but I like to go fast!!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I have to agree with Dave. Save your money and go Y pipe and stock pipe. Pipe mods may show power on dyno but even then as seen in the last dyno session at Jims no power was made. Anyone I have known to have one never saw any gains in the field. Want an opinion on porting with the twins ask Teamgreen he will tell you and you will see he is back to a single pipe. Twin pipes will also use more gas.

My $ 0.02!!!

ptm

·
Vendor
1,401 Posts
I'll be doing a stage tune at dyno tech involving our pipe mod on a stock motor very soon for you all to review on dynotechs website. It not only works well on the dyno, but also very well in the field where it was designed and tested.
I have to inspect the pipe mod that Jim had at dynotech, but I'm pretty sure he tested our big bore version pipe mod on a stock motor, which doesn't work. I'll find out next week when I'm there.
We have a F6/F7 version and a big bore F8/F9 version. You can view the big bore results on dynotech's website where we did pick up very good power. And you can view the standard bore version stage tuned on our bikemanperformance website in the tech section. Our pipe mods have been working well with the DD manifold as well which we also carry.

I've had good luck with both SLP twins and DD monster twin pipes on the firecats. We carry both brands in stock.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Originally posted by f-7redcat@Oct 4 2005, 08:40 PM
I dont care about finicky I can clutch, how will the gas be with the twins ? how are the twins liking the stock can or arnt they thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=908835
[/quote]

HHHMMMMMM............. whats the word I am looking for rediculous....nnope.., redundant..aw ....no........ Whats the pipe gonna cost you ??????? and then tell me on 12 gallons of gas which is up......ah heck lets say its .70cents more than usual, fill up is an extra $8.40 if you run her dry and lets say you tank up 12 times thats about 1200-1600 miles depending on the conditions (and it sounds like you'll be clutching just as much as riding....HAHA) thats $101.40 per year but your gonna spend what was it 800 on the set up!!!!!!!! I know there's another word but...this is very contradicting. You're not one of those guys that wants everything and to be the fastest but does'nt want to pay for it?????????

DEEP POCKETS GO FASTER.......most of the time :div20:

I would go with the D&D single and Y-pipe if it was my sled, and put more time into a race setup for the lakes with it, then your not messing with twins while your on the trails. So the only person to beat you would be a PERFECT setup with twins IF you ever come across one on the trails per say :smilielol:

Just giving you a hard time............. :beerchug:

Erich, what rpms do you prefer to have your pipe mod running at for race and for trail if it matters, I've tried 7800 and 8000 or so. And would it be accurate to say your pipe derives its power from flowing more cfm like the D&D y-pipe does thus the reason when the 2 are combined it really doesn't show the improvments of the pipe mod cuz they are doing the same thing ???? And is there a difference in the pipe mod for the F7 and the F8 or are they identical??? I have swapped them on both and just wondering if this is right.

·
Super Moderator
5,671 Posts
Hey Plummer!

Don't want to speak for Erich but I think he told me about the pipe end going into the muffler is larger on the big bore version and has a different bung size. I could be wrong though. I am sure he can answer better.

I am going with the y-pipe and key for mine. I will be using the 1.5 degree key(slightly less hp) to be able to run 87 regular on the trail. Had far too many instances of bad premium last year for my liking. Will have to see what the wash looks like and perhaps a short dyno session for top end lean down. I like bsfc's in the low .7's as we run some pretty long runs up here. Should still put me in the 143-145 area which once clutched will hang with the high 140 fellas. CLUTCHING is where I will make up for it anyway. Got some good advice from D1D and C-note and will put it to good use. The damn cops up here are now going to be busting people who have anything but stock exhaust systems on their sleds. If it looks stock they are fine with it.

Jester

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I talked to glen hall today about getting twins but I think I want to stay with a single for noise, & money if I go with the monster will I need the boondocker I would think I wouldnt. The other thing I like about singles it seems you could add 4 to maybe 6 degree keys just for grass & they will rip. Thanks for inputs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i too have been trying to research this pipe decision for a few weeks . from what i have gathered and from the people i have talked to, i am thinking if money isnt that much of an issue, that the dd or slp twins in combination with the boondocker box, is going to give the best performance if your clutched correctly. just what ive been lead to believe

·
Registered
781 Posts
Originally posted by Jester@Oct 5 2005, 11:51 AM
Hey Plummer!

Don't want to speak for Erich but I think he told me about the pipe end going into the muffler is larger on the big bore version and has a different bung size. I could be wrong though. I am sure he can answer better.

I am going with the y-pipe and key for mine. I will be using the 1.5 degree key(slightly less hp) to be able to run 87 regular on the trail. Had far too many instances of bad premium last year for my liking. Will have to see what the wash looks like and perhaps a short dyno session for top end lean down. I like bsfc's in the low .7's as we run some pretty long runs up here. Should still put me in the 143-145 area which once clutched will hang with the high 140 fellas. CLUTCHING is where I will make up for it anyway. Got some good advice from D1D and C-note and will put it to good use. The damn cops up here are now going to be busting people who have anything but stock exhaust systems on their sleds. If it looks stock they are fine with it.

Jester
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=909994
[/quote]

Hey Jester..... Have u run the Birch Point pipe mod before??? If so How does it work.... They only want 150 Canadian for this mod.... I would like to see how it works with the D&D y pipe....... The pipe mod was designed with the stock Y pipe but not sure if the D&D y pipe would add a hp or 2....

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Twins will be fast , but louder also. Does anybody know where to get a digatal lighted psi fuel gauge??

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm in the same dalema. I want to trail ride and race, and I dont know if i should get the monster single, or twin pipes? What would be the best clutch set up for either one? What about gearing? I want to make my 2004 f7 carb, the fastest around? With the d&d twins, and twin cans, will that be as loud as having an mbrp can or something like that?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Slp is much faster to get their horsepower ,but if you have a long lake and can wait for them go D&D,almost as good as bm,and psi

1 - 20 of 29 Posts