Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hook everything up and all I get is a horizontal line sometimes in the middle digit and sometimes on the third digit. I am getting 12 volts dc out of my rectifier when I bring the rpms up. If I hold the rpms up to maintain 12 volts I still can not get a reading. I get good resistance out of the sending unit and it is changing as the coolant warms up. So I am stuck. What is wrong? I have my egt gauge hooked up to the same rectifier and that is working just fine. Somebody please help me. I contacted Cyberdyne and they are telling me they can not help because it was designed for use in an automobile.

Help

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I just did that and now it is just flashing "LO" At least I got rid of that line. The motor is good and hot. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a reading when I grounded the sending unit to the negative on the battery. So now I need to find a ground on the sled. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That makes sense if its a one wire sending unit. Take the sender out and solder a wire to the sender and you should be able to ground it to the sled and make it work. I would use some heat control paste to make sure you don't ruin the sender.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But I can not find a good ground for it. I have tried to ground it to just about everything with no luck.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can only get this darn thing to work if I run a wire from the sending unit to the negative terminal on the battery. WHat the hell am I doing wrong? If I try to ground the sending unit to anything on the sled I can not get it to work. I have tried ever nut and bolt on this thing. Anyone with ideas?

I am leaving for a trip tomorrow and I would like to have this all wrapped up tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Have you tried grounding it to the neg side of your rectifier??? When you run a rectifier, the dc side does not use your chassis as a ground, it uses the neg side of the rec for its ground. So it makes sense that you will not get a good ground from the chassis as the chassis is still seeing ac voltage.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I believe Bob is correct. Give it a try.[/b]

He Pm'ed me, that did not work either.

I'm now thinking that for the rectifier to work the way he has it hooked up with his grounded temp gauge, that his whole sled would have to have the ground pulled off of the stator and floated. He would then have to run a ground wire from the gauge to the negative side of the rectifier. I would not want to try to float the ground on a sled, it was enough of a pain to do to a single Cyl motorcycle motor. You have to go into the coil and actually pull the ground wires off of the coil and then run all new ground wires to everything on the sled that takes juice. IMO, a big pain in the ass just to run a auto style temp gauge.

Another way to get it done might be to run the temp sender in a plastic tee, so that it does not "see" chassis ground at all, and then ground the gauge sender back to the negative side of the rectifier.

I'm thinking that the sender is grounded to the frame, but that it is causing an issue because of the pos and neg of the rectifier ( DC Voltage ) and the sleds pos and neg ( AC Voltage ) are causing problems.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
you do not need to ground the gauge.. where is the ground wire? there isn't one.

make sure the hot and cold connections are done properly - I used factory connectors to hook up to the factory accessory plug in the dash on my doo.

I used a press type crimp to crimp the sender and the white sender wire.

the purple "dimmer" wire can be left alone, but you will want to make sure it is not flapping around getting a charge.

the wires you are tapping into should be grounded already and the sender grounds itself in the motor - hence why they say NOT to sue sealer!!!!

it is either your sled's output or you haven't wired it right.

if its flashing LO after 10-15min then you are getting proper power, but the sender is not getting its signal to the gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts