Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has ever cut holes in their Pro-X running boards for snow evacuation, how good it worked, any decrease in traction or strength of the running board? Pictures would be nice.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have never seen it done on a ProX here. I thought about it when I saw you guys dealing with that Better Boards thread.

I remember a guy doing it himself on what I think was a Firecat - probably back in 2003. He drilled an alternating series of holes in the running board and then used some type of flare tool (like you do to a brake line) and flared the edge of the hole up to provide traction. It looked awesome and seemed like it would be very easy to do with some time and the flare tool.

Perhaps a thread in the "General Sled Forum" might get you more eyeballs and answers.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen lots of threads on SnoWest about it too, I was just curious if any Pro-X owners have done it. I was hoping they could give me tips on where to drill holes, where not to, etc.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Here's a punch/flare tool that you could buy and make flared holes. They come in sizes from 1"-3".

[attachment=413357:Flare_Punch_small.jpg]

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Hmmmm, that looks an aweful lot like the conduit punch we use at work... Maybe they will let me use it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's a pic of mine i cut out. Works really well, i would not do the rectangles again( to long) Im a light rider 150lbs, might be a little weak for a big guy.
907KB

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Here's a pic of mine i cut out. Works really well, i would not do the rectangles again( to long) Im a light rider 150lbs, might be a little weak for a big guy.
907KB[/b]
looks like mattys mod ,how did it work out? does this allow the boards to have less snow on them?

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about doing mine just like Kurt AK has his. Except I'd do some 1" circle shaped holes at the front instead of the rectangles I think. I am only 175 lbs. so I don't see this making the running boards too weak for me. They are much stronger than they need to be already for my weight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I works really well. Very little snow build up, only in the foot wells. Not much a guy could do in that area.

Shortstop, Doing 1in. holes or getting your hands on a punch like shown above to do the foot section. I think that punch is the answer. It will give you a clean factory look and and the flare up will should give you more traction.
What i did to clean up the corners on the triangles was drill a 1/2 hole at each coner to give them a rounded uniform look.

The rectangles really dump the snow, but kinda weak there now. I'm going to add a plate underneath, rivit it on and recut the rectangles to add streanth.

KurtAK

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good info, I appreciate it.

Pray for snow. :snowfall: :xmas-smiley2:[/b]
Im going riding tomorrow ill take some pics of any snow build up to give you an idea of the results.

Sorry to here about no snow, Ill send you some. Its over the hood here :w00t:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
saw this mod last season, Matty had this done , it was the same as kurtAK´s mod....

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
i did this to mine, i think the better boards would work even better though.
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...t&id=402643

on a side note, im looking for some more of the screws i have running down the side of my boards and cant remember where i got them. anybody know who sells them?

·
Registered
407 Posts
i did this to mine, i think the better boards would work even better though.
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...t&id=402643

on a side note, im looking for some more of the screws i have running down the side of my boards and cant remember where i got them. anybody know who sells them?[/b]

i have seen some on the dennis kirk website they are 5/16 heads with grip on them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts