1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom MN Snowmobile Trail Maps for Garmin Color GPS

click to download
MN Trail Map

I have made up a test map of the northwest corner of MN for test purposes. I would like people to try these maps out and report back as to how they worked/displayed on their GPSr. The nice thing about these maps is the polylines can be made any color making it easy to distinguish the trail from roads. Please try each color out and give me some feedback on how these maps worked...I will make maps for the whole state if these work good.

All data to make these maps was obtained from THE DNR DATA DELI http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/data_search.html

The data from the above site was processed with GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper and a custom TYP file to make the different color trails. TYP edited maps may not work in all Garmin GPSr's....generally late model color screen units will display the TYP modified maps.

To Install Maps

Have your GPSr turned on and connected to your computer. Double click the appropriate .exe file to install the map with the trail color of your choice. There are five trail map colors to choose from. If you don't like the color of the trails you installed double click on another choice...the new map will overwrite the previous one.

·
Registered
476 Posts
rws, I have edited our club's trails on the DNR's shapefile and renamed all our trails to what our trail map shows. I've also georeferenced the DNR shapefile to the proper coordinate system as the Data Deli stuff just has distance coords with no spatial references. If you want me to send it over, give me a shout and I'll do it.

Edit: The trails are a bit thick on my 76CSx. Zooming doesn't make them much better. I even see our proposed trail is on the map. :) I also lose Canada if the trails basemap is selected - I live too close to the border to lose that functionality.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rws, I have edited our club's trails on the DNR's shapefile and renamed all our trails to what our trail map shows. I've also georeferenced the DNR shapefile to the proper coordinate system as the Data Deli stuff just has distance coords with no spatial references. If you want me to send it over, give me a shout and I'll do it.

Edit: The trails are a bit thick on my 76CSx. Zooming doesn't make them much better. I even see our proposed trail is on the map. :) I also lose Canada if the trails basemap is selected - I live too close to the border to lose that functionality.[/b]
Yes...I'd like to see what you have...send to [email protected]

The trail polylines can be made different colors and thicknesses. You are not seeing parts of Canada (and the eastern edge of ND) because they get covered by the boundaries of the trail map extending north of the border to get the Northwest Angle. As far as I know GPSMapEdit cannot do irregular boundaries. I'll make the map transparent and see how that looks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you have any mn trail maps for the lowrance units? or know where i can down load some free ones? i dont want to buy mapcreate 6 yet.
thanks

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Edit: The trails are a bit thick on my 76CSx. Zooming doesn't make them much better. I even see our proposed trail is on the map. :) I also lose Canada if the trails basemap is selected - I live too close to the border to lose that functionality.[/b]
I made the TYP customized map transparent and that solved the problem of covering the southern part of Canada.

I think for now I'm gonna wait for the author of Mapupload to fix the problem of adding to existing maps before I do anymore with TYP edited maps.

In the meantime here's two different colored MN trail maps (not TYP) that install into Mapsource...are transparent so that your basemap or Topo maps will show through...one has trails in red and the other a thin black line with white border....both distinguish the trails from roads very well. Try them both out to see which looks best on your GPSr.

click to download zip file with 2 installable maps
Colored Trail Maps

Here's a screenshot of trails in red...install MN Snowmobile Trails 1.exe

Here's a screenshot of trails in black/white border...install MN Snowmobile Trails 2.exe

·
Registered
476 Posts
I loaded #2 and it's significantly better in my 76 that the previous one. The trail lines are not as thick, they proportion properly and I can see Canada again, woohoo. One item is that the trail lines end up gray with a black centerline in daytime mode and gray with white centerline in nightime mode. In mapsource they appear just solid gray. Let me know if those other shapefiles helped out. Thanks for the great effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.