Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have created another custom map making tutorial. This one uses Cypherman's Mapset Toolkit...a very nice front end for cGPSMapper...making it real easy to make and install maps into Mapsource. The zip file contains a video that plays in Windows Media Player showing how to make a transparent map from Garmin track files using GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper and Mapset Toolkit. Also included is a READ_ME_FIRST.txt file that has step by step text instructions to follow along with the video.

Map Making Tutorial

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I used it and found it to be very easy. On my first try I forgot to rename my tracks, so on my gps the trail was called "Jan-26-07". So, in mapsource I changed the name of the track and went through mapedit again and everything turned out great. When using mapedit make sure the file has an 8 digit name before sending it to cgpsmapper(just like in the tutorial video), otherwise mapsettoolkit will not be able to find it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have created another custom map making tutorial. This one uses Cypherman's Mapset Toolkit...a very nice front end for cGPSMapper...making it real easy to make and install maps into Mapsource. The zip file contains a video that plays in Windows Media Player showing how to make a transparent map from Garmin track files using GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper and Mapset Toolkit. Also included is a READ_ME_FIRST.txt file that has step by step text instructions to follow along with the video.

Map Making Tutorial[/b]
I am trying to use North America Metroguide and Canada enhanced basemap at the same time. Can I make one transparent or combine them? Thanks

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to use North America Metroguide and Canada enhanced basemap at the same time. Can I make one transparent or combine them? Thanks[/b]
When you have maps from the same area of both products uploaded which one is on top? That's the one you would want to make transparent. If it is NA Metro and it has routing capabilities you would lose that when you compile the transparent map in GPSMapEdit.

·
Registered
952 Posts
When you have maps from the same area of both products uploaded which one is on top? That's the one you would want to make transparent. If it is NA Metro and it has routing capabilities you would lose that when you compile the transparent map in GPSMapEdit.[/b]
NA Metro is on top. I do not need routing as I am using a emap. So I should use GPSMapedit to make NA Metro transparent. Is there a procedure I can follow as I have never done it or is it pretty straight forward?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NA Metro is on top. I do not need routing as I am using a emap. So I should use GPSMapedit to make NA Metro transparent. Is there a procedure I can follow as I have never done it or is it pretty straight forward?
Thanks[/b]
You may want to check Garmin's licensing agreement before proceeding.

Simply load each map tile seperately in GPSMapEdit...
Map Properties...cGPSMapper set TRE to 500...check Map is transparent...Preprocessing no
Save Maps as
Export..Garmin img/cGPSMapper.exe

·
Super Moderator
2,598 Posts
I used it and found it to be very easy. On my first try I forgot to rename my tracks, so on my gps the trail was called "Jan-26-07". So, in mapsource I changed the name of the track and went through mapedit again and everything turned out great. When using mapedit make sure the file has an 8 digit name before sending it to cgpsmapper(just like in the tutorial video), otherwise mapsettoolkit will not be able to find it.[/b]
Anyone know if there's a way to shut the track names 'off'? I would like to still see the official road/trail names, not my track names. I want to do this at the software level, not the GPD level. Maybe somehow in GPSMapEdit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know if there's a way to shut the track names 'off'? I would like to still see the official road/trail names, not my track names. I want to do this at the software level, not the GPD level. Maybe somehow in GPSMapEdit?
Thanks![/b]
email your .mp file to cf-700 at hotmail dot com so I can see what you have

you can change the polyline label names in GPSMapEdit...right click the individual polyline(s)...Modify...Label

·
Super Moderator
2,598 Posts
email your .mp file to cf-700 at hotmail dot com so I can see what you have

you can change the polyline label names in GPSMapEdit...right click the individual polyline(s)...Modify...Label[/b]

you've got mail!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you've got mail![/b]
Got your files...

For what you have and want to do the easiest would be to do the editing in Mapsource. Use the track editing tools to divide or join sections of the trail that would have the same name. When you get a section of trail isolated from the rest..name it...then move on to the next trail and do the same. When you get all the trails spilt and named process the .gdb file in GPSMapEdit.

·
Super Moderator
2,598 Posts
Got your files...

For what you have and want to do the easiest would be to do the editing in Mapsource. Use the track editing tools to divide or join sections of the trail that would have the same name. When you get a section of trail isolated from the rest..name it...then move on to the next trail and do the same. When you get all the trails spilt and named process the .gdb file in GPSMapEdit.[/b]

Yeah, I've done that. In fact, I divided and deleted any overlapping segments. However, I can't join some of those samller tracks without creating 'phanton' lines. Hence, I have a LOT of tracks. I just want to add them all to a mapset, without adding their names. Any thoughts?

Also, having trouble making a .exe file with what I have done.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I've done that. In fact, I divided and deleted any overlapping segments. However, I can't join some of those samller tracks without creating 'phanton' lines. Hence, I have a LOT of tracks. I just want to add them all to a mapset, without adding their names. Any thoughts?

Also, having trouble making a .exe file with what I have done.[/b]

if all you want to do is have polylines without a name use GPSMapEdit...to do global polyline name change...Edit...Select...By Type -select the type you assigned to your tracks...OK
right click a polyline on the map...Modify...Label...leave box blank...Click Enter...all polylines will now have no label

can't help you much with just "having trouble making exe file"

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just want to say Thank You! I have done my local Snowmobile trails and loaded them to my GSX and it is awsome. As I get to new trails and track them I am adding to my map. I would have been forever learning to do that on my own.
I appreciate that you shared this with us after puitting so much time in it.

One thing I noticed. In your video where the mapset toolkit says img level zoom mine says copyright info. Probably because mine is a newer version

·
Registered
952 Posts
You may want to check Garmin's licensing agreement before proceeding.

Simply load each map tile seperately in GPSMapEdit...
Map Properties...cGPSMapper set TRE to 500...check Map is transparent...Preprocessing no
Save Maps as
Export..Garmin img/cGPSMapper.exe[/b]
Ok, do not want to do anything illeagal. I am testing making 1 map transparent and am following the directions. All seems to work flawlessly untill I try to open Mapsource. I get a error that I can copy to clipboard and then it exits. If I remove the created mapset with Mapsettoolkit, mapsource starts working again. The reg entries and TDB and img files are all there. Registry looks good also. Any Ideas. Will error report help?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, do not want to do anything illeagal. I am testing making 1 map transparent and am following the directions. All seems to work flawlessly untill I try to open Mapsource. I get a error that I can copy to clipboard and then it exits. If I remove the created mapset with Mapsettoolkit, mapsource starts working again. The reg entries and TDB and img files are all there. Registry looks good also. Any Ideas. Will error report help?

Thanks[/b]
Couple of things to check:

must have unique product code for each map installed....also no duplicate img filenames

·
Super Moderator
2,598 Posts
I've made some of my own maps and have them installed in Mapsource using MapSend. Are there any good tutorials on how to make a .exe file thatI can send to friends? Want to make it 'idiotproof'.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.