Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've attempted to follow RWS's instructions (btw - awesome info throughout your posts)...and here's what i have been able to do:

1) Use MapEdit to import and modify my active logs data from my 60csc .gdb file
2) Create a .img file
3) Upload this .img file into my gps as a transparent file directly, using "mapupload"
since i want to also add it to my gps with topo and city nav, i first loaded this maps using mapsource, then added my custom image thru mapupload with the feature "add to existing maps".
...now, i figured - it would be easiest to do them all at once directly from mapsource, so...
1) I used mapsettoolkit to install my custom map into mapsource.
-i can see the custom map up to 7 miles.
2) here's my problem...i cant "select" this custom map to upload to gps device, using the "map select tool" option ....
any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I've attempted to follow RWS's instructions (btw - awesome info throughout your posts)...and here's what i have been able to do:

1) Use MapEdit to import and modify my active logs data from my 60csc .gdb file
2) Create a .img file
3) Upload this .img file into my gps as a transparent file directly, using "mapupload"
since i want to also add it to my gps with topo and city nav, i first loaded this maps using mapsource, then added my custom image thru mapupload with the feature "add to existing maps".
...now, i figured - it would be easiest to do them all at once directly from mapsource, so...
1) I used mapsettoolkit to install my custom map into mapsource.
-i can see the custom map up to 7 miles.
2) here's my problem...i cant "select" this custom map to upload to gps device, using the "map select tool" option ....
any ideas what i'm doing wrong?[/b]
email me your .mp and .img file
cf-700 at hotmail dot com

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Thanks RWS...just sent along.[/b]
I got your .mp and .img file. I used MapSetToolKit to install your .img file into Mapsource and it appears to be corrupt...I uninstalled it. I compiled a new .img file using your .mp file and installed it into Mapsource with no problem. Try compiling another .img file on your end.

I noticed you had the trails on levels up to 3 and the transparent preview work-around on level 4...level 5 was blank and could be deleted. Or if you wanted your trails to show at greater zoom on your GPS you could move the preview work-around to level 5 and extend your trails to level 4.

Also note that Garmin usually ships their GPS units with Map Detail at Normal. I'd go to your Map Setup page on your GPS and change Map Detail to Most.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got your .mp and .img file. I used MapSetToolKit to install your .img file into Mapsource and it appears to be corrupt...I uninstalled it. I compiled a new .img file using your .mp file and installed it into Mapsource with no problem. Try compiling another .img file on your end.

I noticed you had the trails on levels up to 3 and the transparent preview work-around on level 4...level 5 was blank and could be deleted. Or if you wanted your trails to show at greater zoom on your GPS you could move the preview work-around to level 5 and extend your trails to level 4.

Also note that Garmin usually ships their GPS units with Map Detail at Normal. I'd go to your Map Setup page on your GPS and change Map Detail to Most.[/b]

Thanks RWS. BTW - I was able to get that version installed into Mapsource, but couldnt select it to upload it to my 60CSX. Did you by any chance test out the "map select tool" in mapsource to see if it would select and be able to upload?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Thanks RWS. BTW - I was able to get that version installed into Mapsource, but couldnt select it to upload it to my 60CSX. Did you by any chance test out the "map select tool" in mapsource to see if it would select and be able to upload?[/b]
The .img file you sent me would install and could be picked and uploaded to my GPSr, but it did not display the trails in Mapsource. I compiled another .img using your .mp file and it worked properly.

Mapsource screenshot of bad .img install

Mapsource screenshot of good .img install

GPS screenshot

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The .img file you sent me would install and could be picked and uploaded to my GPSr, but it did not display the trails in Mapsource. I compiled another .img using your .mp file and it worked properly.

Mapsource screenshot of bad .img install

Mapsource screenshot of good .img install

GPS screenshot

[/b]

Okay RWS...i'm officially stumped. I redid everything, and cant get it to work...
1) I re-opened my .mp file in gpsmapedit, and then i exported the file again, using file-export-garminimg....to produce the .img file.
i then open this file in mapedit, and it looks visually okay.
i'm using an unregistered version of gpsmapedit, does that matter...?
2) i then open up mapsettoolkit v1.20 and make the select the .img file created in 1), set the mapset directory to be the same as location of .img file, provide a unique mapset name, product code of 2, and voila...

i'm able to reproduce your "Mapsource screenshot of bad .img install".

since the only thing you did differently was recompile the .img file, i suspect something is getting messed up in my export to .img file? perhaps again the unregistered version?

uggh!
btw - thanks again for all your help. I know i'm real close to making this work...

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Okay RWS...i'm officially stumped. I redid everything, and cant get it to work...
1) I re-opened my .mp file in gpsmapedit, and then i exported the file again, using file-export-garminimg....to produce the .img file.
i then open this file in mapedit, and it looks visually okay.
i'm using an unregistered version of gpsmapedit, does that matter...?
2) i then open up mapsettoolkit v1.20 and make the select the .img file created in 1), set the mapset directory to be the same as location of .img file, provide a unique mapset name, product code of 2, and voila...

i'm able to reproduce your "Mapsource screenshot of bad .img install".

since the only thing you did differently was recompile the .img file, i suspect something is getting messed up in my export to .img file? perhaps again the unregistered version?

uggh!
btw - thanks again for all your help. I know i'm real close to making this work...[/b]
GPSMapEdit and\or cGPSMapper license keys would not effect making this map.

Try this....delete your GPSMapEdit and cGPSMapper folders and files...go to the respective sites and download a fresh copy of each of the programs and install...open your .mp file and create another .img

1 - 8 of 8 Posts