Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Crossfire studded up nice, now we just need some snow. I have not seen really any pics of studding or patterns, so here's mine. 168 1.575 Woody's Megabite studs with all double backers. Several buddies have used all double backers and it makes a HUGE difference in stud bite. The protectors are 50" long 1.5 inch, gulp, Yamaha strips, riveted into the tunnel.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
SHIT DUDE...should have done a search. I posted a bunch of pics a month or so ago! You HAVE TO have the AC protector that slides into the rear exchanger. If you bottom that rear arm you are fooked! Adding fuel to the fire you'll have to pull all those studs in the middle to accept the protector...DANG MAN! Riding it the way you have it you will hit the rear exchanter....100% chance unless you never leave the lake or hit a bump.

I have a bud with a crossfire. It had 300 miles on it when he bought it with studs and no protector in the heat exchanger. It had some massive gouges. That sled was LUCKY to have an operable exchanger.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
Here is how I set mine up. 108 1.45" stainless Xtreme Max studs with tall aluminum nuts and double backers. I did my own pattern and I am running the AC tunnel protector with a pair of universal Polaris protectors directly over the windows.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prior to installing the studs, I talked to my dealer/ mechanic, who told me that you would have to jump a house in order to get the track to contact the rear exchanger, especially on a Sno Pro. I thought maybe that was a stretch, but the Sno Pro is very stiff. Plus I am not really a jumper, but hump the trails pretty hard.

I have assloads of room up top and in front (about 2+ inches clearance) down in the tunnel. I am only worried about where the angle of the tunnel meets the more flatter portion, and not really the rear cooler. The twin strips in the main part of the tunnel should be more than adequate in case the track balloons after grabbing a handful of brake.

I had a buddy that was running 1.375's on the 1 inch Fcat track with no problems after welding taller protection down the center. His sled hooked up damn hard too. Using the double backers makes everything more stout with less flexing, but the rider still has to use common sense when riding to limit spinning the track.

The guys that put 1.375 studs in a 1.25 track are wasting their money with hardly any stud penetration. I have seen the difference taller studs with double backers make and it is night and day. Just my .02

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
OK, as long as you know what you are dealing with. You are correct that with the sno pro rear end and NO jumping you'll probably be ok. Your protectors are plenty tall for the longer studs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am curious, was your buddies Crossfire a standard, and did the previous owner jump it much?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Standard yes...no idea on how it was driven.

I will say this. If the rear arm does bottom the studs will easily hit the exchanger. I unhooked the springs to verify this and if I remember correctly the lugs will actually hit the exchanger when bottomed.

I don't believe you'll ever bottom that rear arm trail riding.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here is how I set mine up. 108 1.45" stainless Xtreme Max studs with tall aluminum nuts and double backers. I did my own pattern and I am running the AC tunnel protector with a pair of universal Polaris protectors directly over the windows.[/b]
I like the looks of that pattern! Looks like more studs can be added easily, if it does not provide enough traction?

How does it hook up? If you even had a chance to ride yet this season!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I like the looks of that pattern! Looks like more studs can be added easily, if it does not provide enough traction?

How does it hook up? If you even had a chance to ride yet this season![/b]
Hope to ride it this weekend so I can't quote on traction, I rode 1200+ miles last year without studs and spend a lot of time off trail. I am not into drag racing,ice riding, etc. so I will probably not add any studs but it could be accomplished easily. I used the AC Crossfire template, but staggered the double backer markings and skipped the single backer markings.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other thing, with having no outside belting studs, plus none in the center, one problem with the FCats was not enough scratch lines (all the studs were basically in the same place/line). Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just purchased a Xfire 6 that has 2 studs/lug. it has the Arctic Cat tunnel protector in the rear so my heat exchangers have no marks, but the tunnel up front is gouged like crazy. I like the way that RoboCopF7 and ZR500LE put other protectors in the front of the tunnel. Are these just riveted through the top of the tunnel? I am going to do the same this year and would like to know before I drill holes in my tunnel.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Do a search under my name. I posted pics also. I have the Cat protector in my rear exchanger and I have STUD MARKS in the exchanger. I ride my sno pro Crossfire like an old lady (back surgery). My marks are light but I am certain 1.50 studs will destroy the rear exchanger protector or not. TICK TOCK.

When drilling for front protectors don't drill through the gas tank!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Do a search under my name. I posted pics also. I have the Cat protector in my rear exchanger and I have STUD MARKS in the exchanger. I ride my sno pro Crossfire like an old lady (back surgery). My marks are light but I am certain 1.50 studs will destroy the rear exchanger protector or not. TICK TOCK.

When drilling for front protectors don't drill through the gas tank![/b]
Hey cascat how about 1.5 studs in a 1.375 track? will the taller flat lug of the track hit the protector before the studs catch the exchanger?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I put 1300 miles on my 1.575 studs and only have a couple of minor scratches at the point of the tunnel joint (by the front of the rear heat exchanger).

I also have 4 scratches from a tail landing on a four foot tall snow bank jump. Other than that, studs and tunnel are no worse for wear.

Hell my buddies 04 Fcat with a 1 in track and 1.375 studs looks like his tunnel and heat exchanger was attacked by a tiger, YIKES. No leaking of coolant though yet.

There is lots of clearance from the TSL forward. I do not regret the tall studs, she HOOKS!!!!!

I will swear by the all double backers, and tall nuts. We rode a bunch in the western UP and there were rocks and other trail shit all the time. I only slightly bent like 4-6 studs total. I was surprised how they held up.

Ride more- worry less!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts