Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard back in the day there was some x-country racing.....how were these set up and where were they held? I take it they are no longer held?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have posted manitoba x-country racing......?????? :frech32:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where were these races located and how long were they? What was an entrance fee? Why did they disappear? Any other info would be appreciated..

·
Registered
718 Posts
depends how far back you go? The old i-500 ran from winnipeg to saint-paul minnesota in the 70's. the last races of the can am series (manitoba) in the 90's had races in thompson, pine falls, lundar, victoria beach. They where mostly about 100 miles for the pro classes. Mostly the big snowcross boom in the early 00's finished it off. It became harder to convert the new 440's back to cross country sleds and lack of snow doesn't help either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats too bad, i would love to have a xcountry race in our back yard!!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
It would be easier for a snowmobile club to bring the uscc race circuit into manitoba. They are based out of minto north dakota which is about 2 hours south of winnipeg. We have discussed it before with them and they would be game. This year could be very possible as there seems to be problems finding snow in north dakota and minnesota where the races are supposed to be. Contact them and find out. www.usccracing.com

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Id love to see this happen but, ill just dream 4 now. I wouldnt see myself a such a great snowcrosser but as a cross country racer :banana: It so easy to say im fast behind a monitor and a keyboard at my fingers :frech32:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It would be easier for a snowmobile club to bring the uscc race circuit into manitoba. They are based out of minto north dakota which is about 2 hours south of winnipeg. We have discussed it before with them and they would be game. This year could be very possible as there seems to be problems finding snow in north dakota and minnesota where the races are supposed to be. Contact them and find out. www.usccracing.com[/b]
The advantages of some of the old Manitoba races are that there were little or no road crossings to worry about. I'm sure that there still might have been some x-country racing going on if it wasn't for NWRAs agressive take-over of Can-Am. I heard that it was going to go to court, but I guess Mr. Bodley figured it wasn't worth the hassle. He's got a better gig going with WSA anyways...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Aggressive take over? The Can-Am thing was somewhat dissolved by Blair himself, there was a lawsuit pending relating back to when Jamie Anseeuw had his accident in Calgary, but that is between CanAm and Jamie, has nothing to do with NWRA. Although Blair Bodley was the head of CanAm during its existence it was Laura Stuart that kept and her sister and there husbands that kept that whole thing together. The fact that they were continuing to put there hard work into it and with the possibility of the lawsuit and the potential exposure that they as a family might have been exposed to as workers or directors of CanAm they decided to take on there own opportunity as NWRA and operate it as a business opposed to a not-for profit organization that was essentially owned by the members. There were some very nasty annual general meetings when it was still CanAm, because as directors they essentially had to answer to the members regarding all expenses. I am in no position to comment on the expenditures as CanAm but the NWRA is there business and being there’s they have to answer to no one but themselves at the end of the year...jsut like WPSA, or any other private business.

To call the decision to protect themselves (from a lawsuit built around the conduct and discussions of other prior to you in and organization that you have no stake in) a hostile takeover is not only an exaggeration of the rumours its silly.

The SnoCross boom killed the cross country races, and the fact that there is no spectator money coming in at a cross country the racers were footing the bill for it through there entry fees. Talk to the organizers up at Pine Falls, they were the last hangers on to cross country, Pat Mach and his USCC is a big investment on part of the promoter. Its a possibility as the snow stay north and the dollar stays good but its expensive to put on those races. The insurance alone for them is more then a good used sled alone, per race!

Hope your straight on the "hostile takeover", absolutely not the case, there was even an attempt to revive CanAm right at the time of its fall as a cross country only circuit. Come to think of it Blair Bodley still drives around in a white Chevy with a CanAm logo on the back window...

The advantages of some of the old Manitoba races are that there were little or no road crossings to worry about. I'm sure that there still might have been some x-country racing going on if it wasn't for NWRAs agressive take-over of Can-Am. I heard that it was going to go to court, but I guess Mr. Bodley figured it wasn't worth the hassle. He's got a better gig going with WSA anyways...[/b]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Aggressive take over? The Can-Am thing was somewhat dissolved by Blair himself, there was a lawsuit pending relating back to when Jamie Anseeuw had his accident in Calgary, but that is between CanAm and Jamie, has nothing to do with NWRA. Although Blair Bodley was the head of CanAm during its existence it was Laura Stuart that kept and her sister and there husbands that kept that whole thing together. The fact that they were continuing to put there hard work into it and with the possibility of the lawsuit and the potential exposure that they as a family might have been exposed to as workers or directors of CanAm they decided to take on there own opportunity as NWRA and operate it as a business opposed to a not-for profit organization that was essentially owned by the members. There were some very nasty annual general meetings when it was still CanAm, because as directors they essentially had to answer to the members regarding all expenses. I am in no position to comment on the expenditures as CanAm but the NWRA is there business and being there’s they have to answer to no one but themselves at the end of the year...jsut like WPSA, or any other private business.

To call the decision to protect themselves (from a lawsuit built around the conduct and discussions of other prior to you in and organization that you have no stake in) a hostile takeover is not only an exaggeration of the rumours its silly.

The SnoCross boom killed the cross country races, and the fact that there is no spectator money coming in at a cross country the racers were footing the bill for it through there entry fees. Talk to the organizers up at Pine Falls, they were the last hangers on to cross country, Pat Mach and his USCC is a big investment on part of the promoter. Its a possibility as the snow stay north and the dollar stays good but its expensive to put on those races. The insurance alone for them is more then a good used sled alone, per race!

Hope your straight on the "hostile takeover", absolutely not the case, there was even an attempt to revive CanAm right at the time of its fall as a cross country only circuit. Come to think of it Blair Bodley still drives around in a white Chevy with a CanAm logo on the back window...[/b]
You obviously know more about me on that one, I was hearing the story from the other side (friend of Blair). It definitely has grown much more since then thanks to the Stuarts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Let me guess, Naduziak?...he still runs the CanAm sticker on his truck too if I remeber right...off course a friend of Blair's is going to make it out to be a hostile takeover...he was getting a lot of money out of that deal with his position as president, money he didn't have coming from the racers, IMO. :beerchug:

You obviously know more about me on that one, I was hearing the story from the other side (friend of Blair). It definitely has grown much more since then thanks to the Stuarts.[/b]

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW.........i didnt understand much of what was just said...lol. Thanks for the mind bending replies guys :div20:

·
Registered
663 Posts
The advantages of some of the old Manitoba races are that there were little or no road crossings to worry about. I'm sure that there still might have been some x-country racing going on if it wasn't for NWRAs agressive take-over of Can-Am. I heard that it was going to go to court, but I guess Mr. Bodley figured it wasn't worth the hassle. He's got a better gig going with WSA anyways...[/b]

WSA? :dunno:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.