Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ZR900, 2019 ZR8000 Sno Pro 129
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going over the primary clutch on my 2019 ZR8000 SnoPro with 850 miles, and came across what I think is cracks in the towers. Please have a look of the attached pics and let me know what you think?

I know the Team primary clutches were prone to premature cracking on the CTech2 motors. I bought this 2019 new, last year as a dealer left over and it still has the factory warranty till Feb 2022. So if the clutch does need to be replaced, I would like my dealer to do it soon.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ZR900, 2019 ZR8000 Sno Pro 129
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Gammer

Look like casting marks to me. Do the "cracks" continue in the machined hole that houses the bolt?
Hey!
Good question. I will have to take a closer look tomorrow. I was worried if I pulled the bolt if it would void the warranty, because the paint on the bolt/casting wouldn't line up again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Usually you will get som "dirt" around cracks where two faces moves/rubs against each other.

Those are most likely zones where the liquid material was a tad too cold when two liquid fronts met in the mold, or there was a mark in the mold that gave an imprint.

·
Registered
‘20 XRS 900 Turbo ‘22 ThunderCat EPS
134 Posts
They look like casting marks to me. I’d just keep an eye on them throughout the season and make sure they don’t get longer or more pronounced. 👍🏼

·
Registered
Edge Fuji 800 Triple Star
768 Posts
120-240-320+ sanding drum/cone/tree in a dremel would smooth that right out.

Working on a set of eagle hemi cylinder heads right now for an improved stock pull truck, cast aluminum isn't perfect.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
570 Posts
Machine shops magnaflux blocks and heads to check for cracks. If you are really worried, check with a local shop and see if they can do this on your clutch. May give you cheap peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
20,903 Posts
Overthinking. Looks 99.9% like normal clutch casting marks too me, but, since you have warranty….ask your dealer for a new one and see what he says. I agree on removing the bolt to look in the machined hole though…as machined surfaces should be void of marks and if yours isn’t, then it’s a no brainer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey!
Good question. I will have to take a closer look tomorrow. I was worried if I pulled the bolt if it would void the warranty, because the paint on the bolt/casting wouldn't line up again.
At a minimum,I would show him your pics, he might want you to bring it in to inspect it,if there is any doubt,at least you can have on order, a updated ADAPT replacement primary clutch.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Definitely normal. Our 19 RR has same marks from new and no issues with 9000 Kim’s now. Keep the the pics if your concerned and compare again in a month into the season. I’m sure there will be no change. If there is you have proof it’s growing in length.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts