Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a zr600efi-98, and my (stock) pipe keeps cracking about six inches
out from the manifold. I´ve tried welding it but it just cracks again.
Has anyone else experienced this and maby found a lasting solution? Thanx

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
buy a new pipe is the pipe cracked or the manifold

·
Registered
289 Posts
Where is the repair cracking?? What electrode are you using. If the weld cracks the electrode is not strong enough. If the pipe cracks then the electrode is to strong. You must make sure the parent metal and the electrode have the same mechanical properties. i.e. tensile strength. You must also make sure you heat input is not too high as this will change the structure of the parent metal and in most cases make it weaker. You should be using the GTAW or tig process to keep ther heat down and at the same time ensure penetration. The GMAW process will work as well but takes a more experienced welder to get the required penetration.
Let me know how you make out I will try to help if I can. Email me if you want.
Evil

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had this experience with aftermarket pipes after some years of use and found the metal in this area of pipe gets hardened due to rapid cooling from powder snow landing on hot pipe and this is the hottest area of pipe. rewelding won't hold and usually breaks again next to weld within one ride. Replace pipe. Good used shouldn't be hard to find as many people put aftermarket pipes on this model and even some dealers keep may have some used kicking around. Shouldn't have to pay more 100$ for a used stock pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to try to find out why your pipe cracked in the first place. Broken or loose motor mounts? Worn springs on exhaust? Etc....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts