Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my topic in the polairs general forum, but I wouldn't mind some input from around here as well since there are plenty of knowledgable members on our board. I mostly am just curious what caused the cracks, so I can avoid doing it again.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=200370

Thanks.

p.s.

Anyone have a 700 jug with the valves. :banghead:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question, what's the parts shop formerly known as snotrac (near Pittman) now called. I'm trying to find a new jug locally. No luck at HPP.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow, Ihavent seen that happen before on any of the polaris twins. If I had to guess I would say it was caused by loose motor mounts or torque stops unless that motor seized on you. I know that Anchorage Drag Bike has jugs for the polaris twins in stock but they want $300. If you want to call them their number is 278-8655.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HPP wanted $430 and they aren't in stock, so $300 sounds like a deal! They mech at HPP was telling me that it could have been caused by hydrolock or vapor lock, but I haven't had issues with either.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Seen this quite a few times actually, more often on the 800's though. Like you said, hydrolock or a vapor lock is a possibility. By the look of the cylinders it had been going on for awhile whatever the cause maybe.

Like stated above, it was common in the 800's because of either lack of engine securement(stops, bad motor mounts, etc) therefore causing case flexing, or check the tightness of your bolts on the block. Sometimes they can come loose on one side or the other and over time begin to cause stress fractures like yours. This happened to a friend of mine on his 8.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Clayton have you tried alaska snowmobile salvage? I lost my cell or I'd have the #. I had a similar thing happen on a non ves 700 that was caused by overheating....But Im sure you would have known.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I don't think it overheated. A guy here at work, who used to be part owners at ER Popo, is check to see if there was a service bulletin. He was telling me this is a fairly common issue on 02' 700's and 800's. He wasn't sure of the cause either. I just don't want to do it again. If it wasn't a service recall, then I'll try AK Snow Salvage.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, Ihavent seen that happen before on any of the polaris twins. If I had to guess I would say it was caused by loose motor mounts or torque stops unless that motor seized on you. I know that Anchorage Drag Bike has jugs for the polaris twins in stock but they want $300. If you want to call them their number is 278-8655.[/b]
$325, but they want my core. I'm not sure that it's worth anything to them. If it's junk, then I imagine they will want another $100??? for a core charge, in which case I might as well buy a new one from Hartley ($470) vs a refurbished cylinder from them.

Speaking of Polaris Dealers, its easy to see why I don't bother with Marita Sea and Ski so much.

Prices for a 700 cylinder with ves

HPP $430
ER Popo $450
Hartley $475 (in stock)
Marita $560 (in stock) :drunk:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Maybe try ak sled and cycle # 373-5716 , Not sure if they have anything but worth a shot.

Sno trac is now called Power sport stuff LLC #892-8722 If you havent checked yet. or big lake powersports 892-2628

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AK sled and cycle...called yesterday. No go. Power sport stuff is same deal. I think I'm going to get one from Anchorage Drag Bike, as long as they will take my "core". The only thing that concerns me, is if they will take my core and weld the bolting ear back on to the jug to resell it, then what exactly am I buying from them?!?

If they won't take my core I can get one from Hartley Motors, which would be new. I'm considering re-ringing both pistons. I'm at 3000 mi. Does it need it?

·
Registered
343 Posts
AK sled and cycle...called yesterday. No go. Power sport stuff is same deal. I think I'm going to get one from Anchorage Drag Bike, as long as they will take my "core". The only thing that concerns me, is if they will take my core and weld the bolting ear back on to the jug to resell it, then what exactly am I buying from them?!?

If they won't take my core I can get one from Hartley Motors, which would be new. I'm considering re-ringing both pistons. I'm at 3000 mi. Does it need it?[/b]
The cylinders they sell are brand new replated ones from a very reputable, factory-used machining shop down in the states and they come with a warranty, those places will not accept a core with damage like that to the exterior mounting point on the cylinder so I doubt ADB will but I'd give it a shot I guess...they won't sell you anything that's fucked up, they're pretty honest guys down there. And, you're going to definitely want to re-ring those pistons after 3,000 miles...but are you going to hone the one that isn't damaged? I would..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That was the plan...to hone both cylinders. I thought it was awful wierd, but the guy on the phone made it sound like they would take my cylinder even after I told him the bottom was cracked off.

by the way...thanks to everyone on here for all the help and suggestions

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.