Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and is it hurting my straight line racing? I was told to take them out, but I can't get a hole shot now....

my ski's are always pointing into the stars and beyond...

will I be faster with them in and if so... on what setting? My suspension is totally backed off right now...

Trying to get the sled lower... the front is still a MONSTER TRUCK

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are getting too much ski lift, you don't have your front limiter straps sucked down far enough (the ones on the front of the suspension). Suck them SOBS down. A starting point is 3.5 inches from top of rubber block to bottom of cross shaft. Go back and read what KingSnow posted the other day. The more you suck the limiters down, the more pressure on the ski's.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Spenc2u, you MIGHT get some good info and advice on this subject, but the bottom line is, is you have to try these things out for yourself, and that's all there is to it! Three words... TEST, TEST, TEST! Hitch up with a bud that you consistantly run pretty close with, buy someone lunch that'll be your flag/starting person, and make at least three or four holeshots to get a good average on how you're each launching compared to each other, and then make a change on ONE sled only and run again three or four times to see if the change gained or lost ground. When you're all done, if you're lucky, you will've found something that works a little bit better, maybe even a LOT better! Trust me, as good as these forums are, this is the very best way to learn and find out what works for yourself. Oh, and when you're all finished with your testing, please make sure to post here what you learned, and what worked and what didn't work. Remember, the more details the better. Good luck!!! -- Roy

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my Std. F7 I took my couplers out at first too...put them back in on #2, shortened limiter straps 1", front skid shock w/ 1" of thread showing, front shocks @ 25 threads. Amazing difference so far, but like Roy said...To each his own. Keep dialing it in until it suits YOU. Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
boy i wish my f5 had the power to do wheelies on hardpack! I dont have studs, will they help much? How about if i clutch it and get pipes for it, how many hp would i gain when dual pipes come out for the f5?

·
Registered
614 Posts
On loose conditions I take my couplers out, when it is real hard I put them back in on one. I found to much ski lift is killing me when I am running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I still have my couplers out, and I have put the limiter straps back in the longest position. Yes, I get great wheelies, no I don't think there is "too" much ski lift. I love the way it handles like this.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Here's a brief list of things to consider trying for anyone that wants to experiment with getting the edge on their holeshots:

1. The three different settings with the couplers in

2. Couplers out

3. Skid front shock spring tension -- IMO, this is important. Many, if not most of us, are running very light front spring tensions which I think is fine for most trail riding applications, but probably not so good for the best drag racing holeshots. Back when I was running a LOT of drags, we'd always run the front skid shock spring as stiff as possible to transfer as much of the sled's weight to the ground as possible while at the same time taking weight off the skis.

4. Front limiter strap settings (probably NOT lengthening them!)

5. The three (or five if you stagger them) rear torsion spring settings

Other variables to think about are track lug heights, number of studs, length of studs, type of studs (race or trail), and newness/sharpness of studs. Don't forget that different conditions may require different setups as well! Again... TEST, TEST, TEST!!! -- Roy

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by Hookedup@Feb 20 2003, 04:59 PM
Speaking of studs , I kick myself for not going with 1.175. I went with 1.075 and it don't seem long enough
Yes, for the 1" track at LEAST the 1.175" but if I decide to stud MY 1" track, I'm gonna' go for the next size up, which is 1.325" in Woody's line-up. The things start to wear and get shorter the very first time you hit the trail anyway!

If/when I re-stud my 1 3/8" track, I'm gonna' go for the 1.575" instead of the 1.450"! -- Roy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts