Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An AC source (un-named) was just in my office, and I asked him to look at the coupler block post that Rob started a while back.

He said that if you are on setting 1 or 2 you could just as well remove them. Even on setting 3 they are not doing as much as they should, as there was a tolerance question somewhere between design and manufacture. They are changing this (currently in the process) by presenting a new coupler block that will have more settings, which he said will be on the 04 models. The blocks themselves, however, may be available in a couple of months for us 03 owners. Let me say that again...MAY BE AVAILABLE.

·
Registered
720 Posts
And of course we are going to have to pay for them right? Screw that, if they F'd it up, they should send us all new blocks, all charges on them.

That makes me angry. :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
the only thing that worries me about either taking them out or cranking it up to say five on the new ones, is how does it effect the ride, is cranking it up gonna take away from the soft ride, and lessen my travel for the big jumps, and what will having no block in do for me??

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thats one of the prices you pay for having the new stuff..........although I agree cat should step up to the plate and look after us and if they do it will be from the kindness of their hearts :p

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I noticed that when I adjusted mine, I had to just about bottom the suspension to get them to engage. What you are saying makes sense to me. I also noticed that once my skid was full of snow, there was no contact with the couplers. Seems to me that they have them positioned too far back (away from the rear arm).

The only thing that throws up a flag to me is this, why did Rob see such a difference by removing them if in fact they are not "engaging" properly???????????????

I with you Mike C, but knowing Cat, why provide it for free when you can sell it as an upgrade kit??? Remember last year when the 02's came coupled?? How hot a demand there was for us 01 owners to get the upgraded "coupling kit" from Cat??? They will change it and sell it as a kit, and the real bitch is that we will all buy it! :angry:

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by Firecat_freak@Jan 9 2003, 01:33 PM
is cranking it up gonna take away from the soft ride, and lessen my travel for the big jumps, and what will having no block in do for me??
Yes it will stiffen the ride, but you aren't going to lose any travel.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Jay,

I know what you mean, but I think the difference is that between the '01 and the '02 the '01 did not have the coupled set up and in '02 it came out. It wasn't that the '01 was coupled wrong, and the '02's were right.

That would be like saying if they come out with a ZR900 EFI next year, and then offer an '03 EFI conversion for the 900's. Not that the '03 ZR900 had an EFI system that didn't work, they fix it for '04 and then offer the fix as a kit for the '03's.

Oh well, sorry if I am ranting and raving. I love my F7, whatever the block situation. But if Cat screwed up, they should fix it, just like everything else so far.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Since they probably won't offer the parts to us for free................................................. Cat, are you listening.

Due to the fact that there have been numerous issues with this new model sled, we the consumers have had to sit by, wait out, pay for, redo and what ever else.
A great marketing idea and to increase consumer confidence would be to offer owners of first year F5 and F7's, a nice incentive on next years sled. Whether it be extended warranty or a nice discount or rebate from Cat.

Kevin

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am with Kevin. Extended warranty or some Cat Cash for being on the job test pilots would be awsome! ^_^

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Jan 9 2003, 02:00 PM
Bet that "AC source" won't be poppin' in Wicked's office again anytime soon :huh:
No shit! I asked him if I could post the info on here he said sure, I don't care. I regret saying anything now...I looked at it as a good thing, that they were doing the testing to correct the trouble, and manufacturing a new part, instead of saying fuck it, nobody really cares. (not that that I think the coupling block thing is really a big deal anyway)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I want to stretch mine to 144 this summer anyway..............so even if the blocks did work they will get tossed..................And to tell you the truth I took my blocks out day one and I posted it and I got griefed by members here about it......

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Wicked King+Jan 9 2003, 02:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Team Arctic
@Jan 9 2003, 02:00 PM
Bet that "AC source" won't be poppin' in Wicked's office again anytime soon :huh:
No shit! I asked him if I could post the info on here he said sure, I don't care. I regret saying anything now...I looked at it as a good thing, that they were doing the testing to correct the trouble, instead of saying fuck it, nobody really cares. (not that that coupling block thing is really a big deal anyway)[/b]
I actually do see it as a good thing...Sometimes these posts can get pretty comical. We go from "hey, I wanted the new iron and I love my F7" to "you mean they are going to make improvements to the '04 and not give them to me for free, let's start a letter writing campaign" :wacko:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I guess I am just having a bad day. :wacko: :blink: :wacko: :blink: :blink: :blink: :wacko:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Jan 9 2003, 02:13 PM
We go from "hey, I wanted the new iron and I love my F7" to "you mean they are going to make improvements to the '04 and not give them to me for free, let's start a letter writing campaign" :wacko:
right on...I wonder if they'll give me a 600 motor because it wasn't available for this year? :wacko:

In fairness, I think updates are a pain in the ass like everyone else, but I'd rather have updates than "screw 'em...they'll keep buying" <_<

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
We're talking about a $6.00 part here. If you want the new ones, buy them. That's the price you pay for buying a first year sled.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Jan 9 2003, 02:13 PM
"you mean they are going to make improvements to the '04 and not give them to me for free, let's start a letter writing campaign"
Hey, improvements are one thing, that is to be expected. If something flat out doesn't work or is broken that is another. If this is just an evolution of the coupling block, then Cat should get $$ for the upgrade. If in fact it is a design flaw, maybe it should be an update.

I'm going to try without this weekend and see what the difference is, I have always prefered a "coupled" ride, but Rob swears the F-cats are better without, so maybe this conversation is all just hot air!!! :wacko: :blink:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
All i know is i was racing this week...i took them out to get a better holeshot
All it did was carry the ski's about 6 inches off the ground right up to 90 mph
can not steer it.Put them in set them at 3 she would lift them out of
the hole and then skin the surface i could steer then...i experinced way to
much ski lift with them out...1 inch track...stanard....153 stud's.

·
Registered
720 Posts
rev them up- You might be on to something here. You have a standard, and Rob has a Sno Pro. I wonder how the track lug height plays in to this. I had mine on #2 when racing this past weekend and I thought I had less ski lift than with them on #1 two weeks ago. I too have a standard F7 with the 1" track.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts