Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first of all, I've been thinking about switching to Amsoil because I've heard from a lot of people that it's a lot better oil. However, some people have said that it stinks, and that it leaves really bad soot stains on green belly pans. I was wondering if this is true and if anyone can help me out there. Also, I would like to put a silencer on my F7 and I'm wondering what kind of experience people have had with them. Did they run any different? I've heard that sometimes a silencer can make them actually slower and less HP. Anyone who can help me here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
AMSOIL NOT THAT STRONG OF AN ODOR. kLOTZ SMELLS GOOD (STRONG) BUT IT WILL MAKE YOUR CLOTHES STINK. AS FAR AS THE SOOT ON THE BELLY PAN FROM WHAT I HEAR IS LESS WITH AMSOIL AND KLOTZ, WHEN COMPAIRED TO SOME THING LIKE CAT OIL. ANOTHER THING, I ADJUSTED MY POWERVALVE CABLES LAST NIGHT (AFTER800 MILES W/ KLOTZ) AND THERE WASN'T ANY MAJOR BUILD-UP AND WHEN I PULLED ON THE CABLES THE VALVES MOVED FREELY.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Used a gallon and a half of Cat APV Oil, HATED IT, it smelled, was way smoky, and made my F5 act loagy, even after the oil pump was turned down.

Ran it for about half a tank with the oil pump turned down (until my shipment of AMSOil came in), sucked it out, and used AMSOil..... a lot cleaner burning, VERY LITTLE SMELL, and that "loagyness" has lessened considerably.

I still need to jet down to 360's and a half turn on the fuel screws, but keep on forgetting those darn Torx bits for the belly pan.... DOH!!!

So to answer your question, the main selling points of AMSOil for me were:

Cheaper price
Cleaner burn
Cheaper price

:lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
it says on the oil can use arctic cat APV oil only, perhaps there's a reason for this, or is it just to sell more AC stuff to make more money for themselves???

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
AC says that so they know you're running a quality oil and not some sludge...but it also won't hurt their bottom line at 32/ gallon. It's in Cat's best interest for you to run their oil, not some other brand. I've run klotz from day 1 with 550 problem free miles *knock on wood* love the smell and at 18/ gallon, beats the heck out of cat's price.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by eskimosledder@Feb 27 2003, 01:46 PM
it says on the oil can use arctic cat APV oil only, perhaps there's a reason for this, or is it just to sell more AC stuff to make more money for themselves???
Not necessary to use cat oil.... Amsoil is cheaper and much better for your sleds. Run it in all my sleds and never a problem. The dealer puts it in the sleds they sale during the dealer prepare. He carries only amsoil and not cat oil. That should tell you something

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i also thought of switching to amsoil? can i just let my cat oil get low and then ad amsoil without getting all the cat oil out? will i be ok if they mix a little?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I made the switch to Amsoil also this year it's half the price of Cat oil and just as good if not better. My dealer sells both Cat and Amsoil. I just ran my oil tank down to about 1/3 and filled it up with Amsoil and had no problems. I switched at about 900 miles and now have 2200 miles without a problem.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Has anyone ever use Castrol High Performance Snowmobile Oil? I can't tell if it has a clean burn or anything because I've never had a new snowmobile to run it in, it only smokes on real cold mornings but that could be because my sled has 6,000 miles on it. It has a strong smell but I love the smell so I don't have any complaints about that. Its about the only oil they sell around where I ride so if anyone else uses it, let me know how they like it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Amsoil in my sleds, ATV, trucks, motorcycles and school buses. I'll use up the Cat oil first...have 1 1/2 gallons to go.
Hey anyone.....who makes oil for Cat?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I also run amsoil and live it 800 miles with no problems and when i looked art my pistons and my jugs there was barley any wear. I was really impressed. I swithced to amsoil after my first tank full of gas and there was a little bit of cat oil left but i have heard that amsoil and cat oil are very similar and it wont hurt to mix it a little just dont make a habbit of it or dont mix a lot.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by switta@Feb 27 2003, 04:25 PM
i also thought of switching to amsoil? can i just let my cat oil get low and then ad amsoil without getting all the cat oil out? will i be ok if they mix a little?
Just add it to the oil now if you want. The dealer said no problem with mixing it. I did it on my ZR700 last year and did not have any problems from it

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey,
Thanks for your help everyone. It is greatly appreciated. I'm going to be sure and start running it in my sled now. If not this year (since I'll probably only get 1 more ride in) then next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts