Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, while I was trying to figure out the bog, I open the hood and notice oil all around the brake/chaincase area. Now I've been losing and adding chaincase fluid for a while now, but I haven't seen any evidence of a leak. I had just looked the sled over this morning and it was ok. But it looks like the top bearing to the chaincase is leaking fluid through the seal. I kept a close eye on it, and the level went from 'full' to just bearly touching the dipstick in today's short 100 mile ride. When I got home I called my dealer, but they can't fix it till next week at the earliest. I was planning a long trip next week, now I'm not sure what to do. For now, I'm using my old tried-and-true trailside fix of filling the chaincase with 80weight lube and I'll keep riding. POR (press-on-regardless) :blink: B)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O-yeah.. But I don't know if it will be a firecat, snopro or ext, or even sabercat or sabercat ext. Hope they have plenty to look at on friday :lol:
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hi Rob,did you figure what was causing your bog?????was it boging off the line,mine is like that all winter and can't find the problem....any info would be helpfull....Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Tunedf7@Feb 26 2003, 07:49 PM
Hi Rob,did you figure what was causing your bog?????was it boging off the line,mine is like that all winter and can't find the problem....any info would be helpfull....Thanks
yes, it was slightly over 'normal' temps and the ecu was doing some sort of 'safe-mode' deal. when it cooled off, no more bog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
O-yeah.. But I don't know if it will be a firecat, snopro or ext, or even sabercat or sabercat ext. Hope they have plenty to look at on friday[/b]
Damm... I was hoping for a Revagade in your future, then you could tell me how to clean the Rave valves on my sled.. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Feb 26 2003, 05:19 PM
OK, while I was trying to figure out the bog, I open the hood and notice oil all around the brake/chaincase area. Now I've been losing and adding chaincase fluid for a while now, but I haven't seen any evidence of a leak. I had just looked the sled over this morning and it was ok. But it looks like the top bearing to the chaincase is leaking fluid through the seal. I kept a close eye on it, and the level went from 'full' to just bearly touching the dipstick in today's short 100 mile ride. When I got home I called my dealer, but they can't fix it till next week at the earliest. I was planning a long trip next week, now I'm not sure what to do. For now, I'm using my old tried-and-true trailside fix of filling the chaincase with 80weight lube and I'll keep riding. POR (press-on-regardless) :blink: B)
Gosh Rob, with all the wrenching you do just pull off the cover and fix it. I sure wouldn't let it hold me back from a trip to Quebec. I just finished doing the same job today on mine. I talked to my dealers' tech and he told me to put black oil resistant silicone around the outside of the bearing and around the shaft before putting it together with the normal o-rings as the leaking has been a problem. Heading for Gaspe' Saturday so we'll give it a good tryout. B) Worst case you might have to replace the bearing as well but without reverse its a piece of cake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Rob, If your on good terms with your dealer take the old bearing in and exchange it and he can charge it up to warrenty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
Rob,
skip next week's trip to Quebec (then maybe I can catch you in mileage!!) I was in Quebec this morning. By myself, six miles out from the hotel in St Foye I burnt the MXZ down big time. $350 for a wrecker company to bring me and my sled back to the Maine border (ouch!) Guess I should have taken my Cat ZL. What is it with sled dependability these days? In 1989 I started buying two new sleds a year and only burnt down twice in all that time. Now this year I destroyed my 02 ZR engine a few weeks ago and now the '03 MXZ engine.
mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
:p I kinda was doubting you were mortal for a while Rob ! So many miles with few problems was getting kind of tough for me to digest. :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
AC built that sled just for Rob at the factory. They knew he was a HCS, so they made sure they didn't build it on a Monday or Friday! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
rob, to change the top bearing is not too hard a fix if you want to do it yourself-take the cover off and the gears and chain-then take the three nuts off of the bearing retainer and the bearing will pop right off-the previous tip of putting silacone on the seal area and shaft is a good idea-good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Rob, its really easy to fix that problem your having with the chaincase, buy the seals and do it yourself. Its not bad at all. Or at least on the ZR's it wasnt. I had the same problem before. I can walk ya thru it if your interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,736 Posts
Originally posted by mrshawn2u@Feb 27 2003, 08:21 AM
Rob, its really easy to fix that problem your having with the chaincase, buy the seals and do it yourself. Its not bad at all. Or at least on the ZR's it wasnt. I had the same problem before. I can walk ya thru it if your interested.
its easier and cheaper to have the dealership do it while it us under warranty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
SORRY TO SAY THIS,BUT THIS HAS BEEN A CAT PROBLEM FOR AGES NOW.HAD TO DO IT ON MY 1993 THUNDER,1995MC900,1997ZR440,1998ZR600,1999ZR600EFI,AND TWICE ON MY MC570. :angry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Originally posted by rob+Feb 26 2003, 07:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Tunedf7
@Feb 26 2003, 07:49 PM
Hi Rob,did you figure what was causing your bog?????was it boging  off the line,mine is like that all winter and can't find the problem....any info would be helpfull....Thanks
yes, it was slightly over 'normal' temps and the ecu was doing some sort of 'safe-mode' deal. when it cooled off, no more bog.[/b]
Rob, was this slightly over normal temps without the check engine light on? I think I have experienced the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Rob, was that you getting the ticket last week at the gas station from the Statey? Somthing about the sticker on the tunnel? Saw somebody on a red F-7 getting hassled by the po-lice. She can hassle me anytime!! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
the stock chaincase bearings with the o-ring set up on the outside of the bearing are junk.... use 1602-051 and 1602-052...

both of my stock bearings cracked and leaked oil- i would take it apart before a long trip.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top