Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i'm kind of on a bad streak here.. yesterday I lost an idler wheel bearing and found another nearly seized. Went all through the sled and went for a ride. Trails were hard and frozen (-23F here this morning) and not much lubrication.. No big deal, we've seen this all winter, right? Well it must have been a little worse. My light never came on, but my F7 started running rough, like it was loading up, and then it wouldn't take over half throttle without bogging out. WTF? Didn't catch on right at first, even changed the belt. Right after the new belt it was fine, I thought that did it, but then it started coughing out again. Finally I got the idea that it might be getting warm, but not to the point of the light coming on. Decided to stop and let it cool down. After 10 minutes, started it up and went WOT across the last big field where I couldn't get over 60mph. This time it was normal. So result of this is that I found out that the F7 (at least with the 'updated' ecu) has a different fuel map BELOW the temperature level that triggers the check engine light. I find this very annoying and unnecessary, and hard to anticipate without a temp gauge. Have any of you noticed this?

Also, during all of this I found another problem.. read part II.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Rob I didn't know you had your ecu changed. Why? The oil leak is common especially with the really cold weather we have had. It shrinks and leaks. The factory stock idler bearings are junk on all sleds. Replace with a better quality. Ride on!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
HHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Seems like Rob has been holding out on us as far as the ECU update is concerned, What happened to all the trouble free miles you had???? Now you slip and tell us you have an updated ECU? What's up with that? :blink: :angry: :blink:

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
HHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Seems like Rob has been holding out on us as far as the ECU update is concerned, What happened to all the trouble free miles you had???? Now you slip and tell us you have an updated ECU? What's up with that? :blink: :angry: :blink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by FCR61@Feb 26 2003, 08:49 PM
yes I have an updated ecu, but i've never had any engine problems at all.

I'm not "holding out" on anything. Sheeesh.

·
Registered
978 Posts
rob (or neone seeking info), do u pack your bearings? i would suggest packing ever bearing with waterproof (low temp) grease...

1. pull the black (blue, purple, red,ect..) plastic shield off one side of the bearing using a small flat head screw driver

2. smear at much waterproff, low temp grease you can fit into the bearing (its ok to be messy)

3. put the shield back on by pressing it in place with your fingers, all the grease that wont fit will ooze out the side, which brings me to my next (baby) step

4. wipe off all excess grease fom the fully sealed and packed bearing

5. you will notice little increased rolling resistance, yet it will roll much smoother, the grease will insulate the little balls (no not those) from all the water and grit which commonly causes these bearings to seize or rust, less seizing and rusting means longer idler wheel life, and longer axel life... as on the 01 800's the bearings steel was stronger than the axels aluminum (mid rear bottom axel) causing the bearing to wear grooves in the axel there for causing more problems....a seized bearing will spin on that axel

alot of people probably already knew this stuff, but if you didn't there it is!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Rob,my f7 did some bogging this weekend. Iwas running about 6800 rpm for approx 4 miles and gave it WOT and all i got was 75 mph with a bogg or what i thought was more like a sputter and no temp light. Temp was 0 in the U.P. of mich.The sled did melt down when it had 250 mi on it. My dealer rebuilt the motor and sent the ECU to cat for updates. My brother has the same sled and has had no problems,no ECU updates and no bogging or sputtering in cold temps.I think this whole time all that was wrong with some sleds was the oil pump thing,so if thats the case i want my stock programing back.It ran perfect that way until the melt down and it would seem like that was oil related.I hope we're not SOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by moto@Feb 26 2003, 11:51 PM
Rob,my f7 did some bogging this weekend. Iwas running about 6800 rpm for approx 4 miles and gave it WOT and all i got was 75 mph with a bogg or what i thought was more like a sputter and no temp light. Temp was 0 in the U.P. of mich.The sled did melt down when it had 250 mi on it. My dealer rebuilt the motor and sent the ECU to cat for updates. My brother has the same sled and has had no problems,no ECU updates and no bogging or sputtering in cold temps.I think this whole time all that was wrong with some sleds was the oil pump thing,so if thats the case i want my stock programing back.It ran perfect that way until the melt down and it would seem like that was oil related.I hope we're not SOL.
You got it! EXACTLY the same symptoms I have noted.

The bog and sputter is due to a kind of "safe-mode" at slightly elevated coolant temps with the updated ecus.

I'm pointing this out to everyone that has an updated ecu so that they know what's going on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First off guys, it sounds like there is no snow getting kicked up to your coolers. SECOND--waiting to see if your idiot light came on means YOU PROBABLY JUST BURNED DOWN YOUR ENGINE YOU IDIOT!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine started this too, after the ECU was sent in to Cat! I did not know what it was. I actually thought it was the engine starting to go down again!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
i had my ecu reprogrammed with the oil pump adj., put 300+ miles in the u.p. with temp going to -20. ran great pulls like it did before. i did have the mag side go down with 136 miles. i let it warm up untill the right exchanger gets warm. :)

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Just breaking them off on you Rob! But why have the ecu updated if you had no trouble with your motor??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by F700@Feb 27 2003, 08:44 AM
Rob,
Maybe I missed it, but why did you get an updated ECU? Are they recalling all of them?
I was given the opertunity to update my ecu and I thought it would be a good idea.

I was wrong... :(

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Is the ECU upgrade required as part of the oil pump adjustment, or is it up to the owner's discretion as to whether or not it can or should be done?

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is why I've installed a temp gauge in all the cat's I've owned!! It's amazing how fast the engine temp rises by just riding on hard pack!
I still say this should be a standard item on sleds especially now with the F7. I would gladly pay the extra $80.00 in order to monitor engine temps.

Just my 2 cents jv

1 - 19 of 19 Posts