Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a weekend trip to Northern Maine. Started driving at 3 am on Fri on 1 hour sleep and drove to Portland to pick up a friend( Offshore 24) . Arrived in Bridgewater Me around 11am. Unloaded the sleds and left the truck and trailer at my Brother's Friends Place just off of ITS 83. Took off for Fort Kent around 12 via 83 North, 105 N to the Powerlines in Stockholm. Got to the Lakeview in St. Agatha just before 3pm and had lunch. Took a little tour of St. Agatha, Frenchville and then headed to a house in Fort Kent. Total sled mileage around 130 miles. Got some sleep after a few beers. Awoke around 8 on Sat. We stayed at my friend s friend's place so we had two local tour guides for the day. We did a tour of Frenchville, Madawaska, Grand Isle and Van Buren. Then decided to head to the border. We took a lot of side trails that were in immaculate shape. Headed South to Limestone and Fort Farifield via the Border Trail. Ate lunch at a new place in Presque Isle called "Slopes". It was a microbrewery slash pub style restaurant. Good food but for a microbrewery they only had two of their beers as the rest were brewing. After lunch we took the long way home cutting across Long Lake by the Sporting Club trail 79 to 96 and then headed towards Soldier Pond and up to Fort Kent. I was surprised at how well the club trails were maintained up there (Green Trails). We were able to stay off the main trails thus enjoying the best conditions possible. We finished with about 230 miles. The next day my brother, friend and I decided to head South via the Power Lines over to 83 S then to 88 S in New Sweden down towards Caribou. Somehow the new belt I put on the night before got me 65 miles on a tank of Gas so we had to head into Caribou to get gas. I changed the belt in Caribou and we headed to Ashland. If you want to see deer ride over there as we saw about 20 in a few mile period. Thier trail system is great also. We rode from Ashland in Portage and had lunch. 24 hour Gas in Portage also. Rode from Portage to 105 via 90. 90 East was the worst trail we rode all week. Lots of washouts and logging. Once we got on 105 we headed up towards Van Buren. We got off 105 at 79 and headed up towardsGrand Isle on 96 to 81. We were trying to cut off 81 to 85 and took the wrong trail and ended up at the Long Lake Country Club on the Lake. Instead of riding back we just rode up the lake heading towards St. Agatha. GPS came in handy. Finished the ride in Fort Kent with about 210 miles. We has supper at the new Chinese place and it was decent. The next day we put the saddlebags back on around 7:30a and headed South on 73 c to LongLake and picked up 83 to the powerlines. It was starting to get warm and they had groomed everything so the trails were really packed and flat. Our sleds were running hot on the way home so we had to take it slow and ditch in the offtrail snow everyonce in a while. The Power Lines and 105 South took a long time going 50 to 60 mph as apposed to 80+. We made it to the trailer around 12p and loaded up. Back home by 7:35 pm. Long day days of traveling. Put on 660 miles in 3 days of riding which was pretty good for this time of year. My back was toast after Mon mornings ride. Just too long going straight. trails were a 10/10 I will post some pics of the trails. Any questions just ask. If you havent been you should plan a trip to Aroostook County.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Looks like you had a good time. Lets hope we get more snow here the trails are taking a beating.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I rode for 4 1/2 days and put on 740 miles and I rode my SRX for around 80. I went up in a snow storm and came home in a snow storm, it snowed everyday but the first day.... It took me 12 hours to get home when it should have only took me 8 - 8 1/2. I will be going back in a couple weeks for 4 days!! :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rode for 4 1/2 days and put on 740 miles and I rode my SRX for around 80. I went up in a snow storm and came home in a snow storm, it snowed everyday but the first day.... It took me 12 hours to get home when it should have only took me 8 - 8 1/2. I will be going back in a couple weeks for 4 days!! :D[/b]

Did you stay at the Gateway? How nice was the Mini Powelines heading towards Van Buren. I rode it Sat and I love the hills on that trail. All trails were pretty much perfect.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What about the moose we saw? The owl? The polaris in a tree? The radar dome? How we never saw another sled on the trail on Monday, not a one!!!!

Just another perfect trip to The County.

Had fun Tynan. Next time I'll bring a pillow for the truck ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No I stay at my friends place in Caribou. Ya the power lines heading out of Lake view where very good! Just about all the trails where in good condition. Oh ya the Moose sorry .....................

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SRX, you are confusing the shit out of me? Offshore was talking to me and you say sorry and post the Moose. Were you with us or something? Just Kidding but I guess everyone has the same experiences up there. Steve, I thought that was long enough as I was asleep at the keyboard last night writing it. I will post the Polaris in the tree sometime.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Casey, I've checked my toe out and it's perfect. I added some shims to the spindle/ski bolts to tighten fit. I greased all zerks. I pulled the limiter strap up one hole. Where's the snow?

·
Expert Thread Killer
1,269 Posts
In that picture with the guys by the border marker, that looks like a new one. All the ones i've seen are concrete.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts