Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if a can could effect engine performance??? Possibly burn pistons or anything of that nature....

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
No they wont make a sled blow up. They very sledom add any power at all, usually you will lose a couple horse by putting them on. They make things sound a hell of alot better and you can usually cut about 7-10lbs over the stock muffler.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, a can usually will lean the motor out a bit. If your sled is on the edge already the can can definately oush it over. If youre running stock jetting then usually you should be fine because it was tested at the manufacturer that way. I installed a can last year on a ski doo with buddy that came with fatter jets to install with it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't bought one yet but i am thinking about it. I have a 2000 zr6 with 5200 miles on it and no engine work done. Just curious if this would be a good move for the engine. The stock can is fairly loud right now which makes me question the backpressure as it is. Thoughts???

·
Registered
452 Posts
What is your goal when adding this can if your stock exhaust is already loud?

Rob

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Yes, a can usually will lean the motor out a bit. If your sled is on the edge already the can can definately oush it over. If youre running stock jetting then usually you should be fine because it was tested at the manufacturer that way. I installed a can last year on a ski doo with buddy that came with fatter jets to install with it.[/b]
A can that came with jets???? What kind of can? Never seen that before, or a sled run lean because of one. Just loose a bit of performance if anything on the smaller displacement engines

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A can that came with jets???? What kind of can? Never seen that before, or a sled run lean because of one. Just loose a bit of performance if anything on the smaller displacement engines[/b]

I was running last Friday and the temps were around 30F... but i was having trouble pushing 85-90... seemed like i was constatly pinning it down. thought the stock can my have some packing that was worn out due to the sled having 5200 miles(hence the loud stock sound)... causing a loss in back pressure (thought the can would improve the sound and back pressure (hp boost)).

·
Registered
88 Posts
A can that came with jets???? What kind of can? Never seen that before, or a sled run lean because of one. Just loose a bit of performance if anything on the smaller displacement engines[/b]
I believe it was snostuff, for a 500ss Skidoo. It may not hav comewithutit had to be jetted up 2 sizes per manufacturer. A can can absolutely make a sled run leaner then it did stock. That being said I have had one on my last 2 sleds and have done plug checks on bothare fine but ill bet egts still run a bithigher.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I believe it was snostuff, for a 500ss Skidoo. It may not hav comewithutit had to be jetted up 2 sizes per manufacturer. A can can absolutely make a sled run leaner then it did stock. That being said I have had one on my last 2 sleds and have done plug checks on bothare fine but ill bet egts still run a bithigher.[/b]
Jetted up 2 sizes for a can? Holy crap that thing musta run pig rich! I've gone from my stock can to my SLP can to see if i would loose any performance over the two last year. My temps didn't change at all... Must be a doo thing?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was running last Friday and the temps were around 30F... but i was having trouble pushing 85-90... seemed like i was constatly pinning it down. thought the stock can my have some packing that was worn out due to the sled having 5200 miles(hence the loud stock sound)... causing a loss in back pressure (thought the can would improve the sound and back pressure (hp boost)).[/b]
What do you guys suggest in regards to the top end speed. It just felt like i was mashing the throttle all night long. What could this be. Later in the night on the ride home it seemed like it had some pop (other than the TSS acting up) but i felt slow in the straights with some of the other sleds.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
What do you guys suggest in regards to the top end speed. It just felt like i was mashing the throttle all night long. What could this be. Later in the night on the ride home it seemed like it had some pop (other than the TSS acting up) but i felt slow in the straights with some of the other sleds.[/b]

Have you bothered to check you plugs for color during these "slow" runs at WOT & half throttle. Sounds like jetting if it ran better at night when it was colder.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I believe it was snostuff, for a 500ss Skidoo. It may not hav comewithutit had to be jetted up 2 sizes per manufacturer. A can can absolutely make a sled run leaner then it did stock. That being said I have had one on my last 2 sleds and have done plug checks on bothare fine but ill bet egts still run a bithigher.[/b]

I would like to see some dyno sheets for this can...i highly doubt that any can out there will make any power gains to even come close to justify going up 2 main jet sizes.

You could put a can on any sled the way it is and not worry about anything, if they made so much power and leaned the motor down then you wouldn't be able to put them on an efi sled without having a box to reprogram it. The only thing cans do is make things sound better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would suggeust throwing a new belt at it that would effect your top end and most of the way there.And it's way cheaper than a can or do both i love my can but i wouldn't buy one as a fix to something.Like everyone else has said it won't really give you any more power just less weight and way better sound.Also as a side note i think we as cat owner get the best weight savings from a can the stock can on cats is fricking heavy man.

DUGG

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to see some dyno sheets for this can...i highly doubt that any can out there will make any power gains to even come close to justify going up 2 main jet sizes.

You could put a can on any sled the way it is and not worry about anything, if they made so much power and leaned the motor down then you wouldn't be able to put them on an efi sled without having a box to reprogram it. The only thing cans do is make things sound better.[/b]

I know what you're saying. I will most likely get one but not until the offseason. I need to get this figured out first. Thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts