Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be headed to Corning NY for work (1 year stint). I was just wondering if there is a trail system in the area (2-3 hour radius). Does it compare to Northern Michigans trail system? What does an out of state rider need (trail pass, reg, etc)? Any good sites for trail maps, info?

Also, what are some impressions of the area outside of snowmobiling. I am trying to decide whether or not to take this position and any input would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I grew up twenty minutes south of Corning and visit the area frequently...was just there today on business. Corning is a very unique place and has grown much since I was a young. Large business in the area, of course Corning, Inc. which is has many business units...Dresser Rand...Kitchen World and various others. The landscape in the area is amazing, mostly wooded and large rolling hills.

If your a hunter, one of the best areas for all types of wildlife. Boater, your at the base of the finger lakes. Snowmobiler, your within 2-3 hours of the best riding throughout NYS. You can be in Tug Hill in around 2 - 2 1/2 hours...Norwich area in 1 1/2 - 2 hours...Chat County in 2 1/2 hours...Monroe County in 2 hours. Great access from the highway to all these locations.

It's a town that retains it's character thru the years, but is on the cutting edge of technology. Corning just built a new facility down the road in Erwin for the diesel converters a few years ago....a number of years prior was a big player in fiber optics and is always reinventing itself. There is major shopping with the Wally Worlds, Home Depot/etc... right in Erwin and the mall is only a few minutes away.

If I answer anything else, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ride in the finger lakes area and am part of the Twin Lakes Snowmobile Club. Their trails connect to the horsehead snowmobile club and the newfield area clubs and eventually to Cortland. I know plenty who have made the trip but have never done so myself. When there is snow it is great riding because there is little traffic and its wide open territory.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You will also be only a few minutes north of Grand Canyon PA which is also very good state groomed trail system that gets lake eeffect off of Erie.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You will also be only a few minutes north of Grand Canyon PA which is also very good state groomed trail system that gets lake eeffect off of Erie.[/b]
I live in the Corning area. When there is snow the PA Grand Canyon is better than anywhere in NY state and is less than an hour from Corning. I've been here 10 years and its a great place to live and work. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
You'd want to go to Letchworth State Park about an hour from Corning, Park your truck at the North Pool and ride sled all the way to Arcade and back for the day. Easy 150 mile loop. Buy map through Oatka Valley Snowmobile Club of Warsaw, NY.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts