Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While detailing my F5 SnoPro I notice that there was a small area on the belly pan below the coolant reservoir with coolant.
I got a bright flash light and found that the coolant was seeping out of the bottom of the hose, I heard there was a update to remove any seam from that area (in which the dealer said it was done) well as you could guess they did'nt even move the hose.
I slide the spring clamp off the hose and pushed the hose until it was almost off the stem of the reservoir, I took some 220 grit sand paper and removed the seam, then I took some 400 grit sand paper and wet sanded that area until it was smooth.
I cleaned up the area with simple green and slide the hose back into position (about one inch) applied the spring clamp and wire tied and started the engine and within a few minutes it started seeping again, I shut off the engine and removed the wire tie.
I started the engine again ran until the heat exchangers were starting to get warm and the seep started again though not as bad, I shut the engine off.
I repositioned the spring clamp and restarted the engine with no leaks/seeps why did it stop by just moving the clamp in the middle of the hose (I had the clamp at the end and at the front of the hose, even with a wire tie) ???
This hose I am talking about is on the inboard side of the engine compartment, running down to the engine in front of the steering post to the reservoir.
I had the sled out for only trip since I got it last week, I don't remember any coolant leaks, though the reservoir was a little low and I ended up over filling.
I removed until proper cool level, now this is happening.
I have bled the coolant system several times (even with no over heating or low level coolant) mostly from the fear of burning up a engine.
Anybody else having this problem ?
Could it be from sitting it contracted and when the engine was warm it expanded ?
The leaks/seeps were a drop every few minutes, nothing big just messy.
Any help would be great - thanks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Extreme cold temps will cause almost any clamp to leak at some time. See it all the time on cars when the temps are below zero. I hate those spring clamps, if it still leaks get a hose clamp that you can tighten up, the plastic nipple is thick enough to take a little wrenching on it..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran the engine several times after doing the fixing on the reservoir w/o any sort of leaks or seeps.
I can see why the OEM uses spring clamps on the hoses,they are hard enough to put on never less come off, But! as for sealing the hose from lose of coolant spring clamps are far from perfect - thats were a screw type clamp would come in handing.
A lot of neg. talk about the Firecats are caused by "the dealerships setups or lack of it" not just Arctic Cat and a brand new type sled.
If I had a dollar for every single time I had to wrench on a sled over the last 10 years I could buy a Firecat in cash!
The dealerships around here western Washington from A to Y don't know sh** just get the sale and be done with it.
Huz yur dady
The rised seam does cause the problem (early release model effected the most) some dealerships are using a blade of some sort to remove the rised seam, I found that you could remove the rised seam with uniformed look with sand paper and wet sanding leaves the surface looking like stock w/o gouging the reservoir.
Another way to place the hose back into position is by heat (using a hair drier) it will expanded the hose enough to slip the hose over the nipple area and make a tight seal after it cools down (I did'nt do that yet and will if the problems rises again) Another thing! adding coolant above the cool level line will cause problems "keep the level at the line or below the line" and do it only when cooled down enough and on a flat surface.
I added coolant after riding (was just below the line) the temps here never really get cold - if its zero people think its cold, when I lived in AK. minus 40 below was getting cold.
Everybody have a safe and happy new year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts